electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Buchla 266 SoU -- Eurorack!
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 1 of 2 [28 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: 1, 2 Next
AlanP

Audio files: 41

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 12:19 am    Post subject: Buchla 266 SoU -- Eurorack!
Subject description: Dunno
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I've been wanting to do this module for a couple years, ever since I saw alternating.bit do a video with his 5U version. I found some good schematics for it (or, at least, easier to follow than the original scans) and got to capturing and layout-ing.

dunno halfpop.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  402.46 KB
 Viewed:  470 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

dunno halfpop.JPG

protorig.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  168.42 KB
 Viewed:  440 Time(s)

protorig.JPG

AlanP

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Each section is on a separate PCB -- they're designed to sandwich together through pin headers, which also means I can use header wires to connect each PCB individually to a prototyping rig I perfed up (with a mix of buss wire, zero ohm resistors, and normal wire.)

I still have to get the jack/pot PCB and the front panel fabricated, though, and I also have to order the rest of the parts. The vactrols will probably be the most expensive parts, apart from the noise chip.

I'm going to use Electric Druid's Noise IC. No point messing about with out of production noise chips.

Nearly all the 100n decoupling caps are 0805 SMD -- these are the only SMD parts used, however, and if someone was particularly allergic, they could probably tag bead caps on the back. Maybe. It'd be a tight fit.

There are also some 1/8 watt resistors there, too, where space is a bit tight. 1/4W resistors also fit, if they are angled up a bit.
AlanP

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The Quantized Random Voltages PCB is now verified Smile Twisting the CV control adjusts the number of quantized steps, from 2 to whatever the maximum is.

Included the perf breakout board so you guys can see what I was up to.

qrv verif.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  214.36 KB
 Viewed:  441 Time(s)

qrv verif.JPG

elmegil

Audio files: 16

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Sweet!

This is one of my favorite modules, I have the 5U version, RomanF's I believe, from the Synthcube kit. When you're done, you might contact Synthcube if you're interested in selling the PCBs.....
AlanP

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Stored Random Voltages PCB is also working now.

I love it when v0.1 pcbs work, with no swearing required.

I'm missing ICs and vactrols for the other two pcbs, so they will have to wait.
wackelpeter

Audio files: 10

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 3:50 am    Post subject: Re: Buchla 266 SoU -- Eurorack!
Subject description: Dunno
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

AlanP wrote:
I found some good schematics for it (or, at least, easier to follow than the original scans) .

Can you post or mail the link to those?
I'm interested to give those missing parts ( only have the random voltage adaption by Scott Stites) a try on stripboard.

As for the Vactrols i have found a source for nice and cheap LDR that go from over 30Mohm down to 450R-1K and mostly act really fast, possibly best for LPG, VCF and other modules that require fast response times...
But there are some which are slower too... Got them really cheap from ebay 60 pieces for 5 Euro or so... so with a handful of LED's you can roll a ton of vactrols... They are called GL5506...
The needed range for on resistance can be set with the current and mostly i had to lower the current a bit more or less than in the original design...
Got decent results on the Serge Phaser too (tried this because it seems to me the easiest and with lowest part count available schematic) but i guess here are more slower LDR's needed (like those who got replaced in my LPG's but i'm unable to find right now in my messy workplace) or i have to play bit more around with the circuitry around the CA3086... But it sounds cool, especially with saw or square up to 1kHz signals and slower rising CV for phasing give the best results...

AlanP

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

http://synthcube.com/cart/romanf-266-sou-kit-dotcom-3u?search=source%20of%20uncertainty&description=true

Click on the "Download" tab
wackelpeter

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks Alan! Now i'm in desperate need of much more panel space and cabinets... Smile
AlanP

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Still waiting on 1uF low profile caps, vactrols, and panel PCBs.

In the meantime, I found out how to take screenshots with the Rigol. What I've got so far tallys up with Dave Brown's scopeshots.

The signal spikes below ground will go away when it's finished, as there is a diode and resistor on the output jack.

QRV max steps.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  7.63 KB
 Viewed:  20308 Time(s)

QRV max steps.png

QRV sample.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  3.71 KB

QRV sample.png

QRV n1 maxsteps.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  5.51 KB

QRV n1 maxsteps.png

QRV n1 sample.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  3.62 KB

QRV n1 sample.png

SRV low prob.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  3.45 KB
 Viewed:  20309 Time(s)

SRV low prob.png

AlanP

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

More scopeshots.

SRV high prob.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  3.51 KB
 Viewed:  20307 Time(s)

SRV high prob.png

SRV bathtub.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  3.83 KB
 Viewed:  20307 Time(s)

SRV bathtub.png

AlanP

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Wedged 1uF MLCC caps in the Noise circuit. The Electric Druid noise IC works wonderfully, and the -3dB, +3dB, and Flat noise outputs all sound like they should. The Noisy Triangle part of the Noise section is also doing what it should (this feeds the FRV part, so I'm very hopeful of this section as well.)

So far, every part of this four engine board monster is working, first pop! Fingers crossed for the FRV subsection!
AlanP

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The only part left to test is the FRV section Cool

dunno panel.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  327.43 KB
 Viewed:  400 Time(s)

dunno panel.JPG

LFLab

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Nice!
AlanP

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Bodged some 1uF MLCC caps onto the FRV board. I'm only missing those, and the vactrols.

The FRV board also works, tentatively. The right output is coming out, at any rate -- although so slowly, without the vactrols, that I had to set the oscilloscope to 50sec/div to get a display close to what you'd expect at 500ms/div. It isn't entirely verified yet, though, not until I get those vactrols.
AlanP

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It took quite awhile to get each of these screenshots -- look at the time division down the bottom.

NewFile0.bmp
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  NewFile0.bmp
 Filesize:  146.3 KB
 Downloaded:  367 Time(s)

NewFile1.bmp
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  NewFile1.bmp
 Filesize:  146.3 KB
 Downloaded:  369 Time(s)

AlanP

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The vactrols turned up, and (after checking polarity again, them things ain't cheap) soldering promptly occurred Smile The FRV section now works as intended, not just very, very slowly!

So now it all works!

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.
Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.

Better yet, it all worked with no horrible debugging Very Happy
LFLab

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Those vactrols are likely to be more expensive in the future still, there's now a Coolaudio part for the vtl5c3, but not for the double ones (VTL5C3/2).

Very tidy project Alan!
wackelpeter

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Wow that looks really nice Alan.
Glad for you (and maybe myself) that you finished your's succesfully but
i fear you now have to act as sort of a reference for my attempts... Very Happy

After i got the schematics i'm currently on my VC Integrator which works and the SRV which i have to debug...

Hope it's okay to ask you for some reference voltages etc.
But will have a look at my circuit before, because i think i just missed something or got it connected to the wrong pin, when i adapted it to work with MC1458.

Cheers Bastian

Edit... found 2 errors on my stripboard... one trace wasn't cut where it shoudl be and the 0,05uF cap i accidentally put in a 0,47uF cap...
Only problem it mostly hangs itself up after a few step's... and didn't start again until i power it up again... first 2 times i counted after the 19th change of CV2 out (Don's hommage to the Stones 19th Nervous Breakdown perhaps? Smile ) and then it ran for a few minutes and i stopped counting at 115... But later, same again but not only at the 19th change... Sometimes sooner, sometimes later...

Have to look again tomorrow... guess this could only be the clock signal (already using a pulse out form the Buchla Env.Generator) or the shift registers itself...

Last edited by wackelpeter on Thu Nov 24, 2016 2:28 pm; edited 2 times in total
mcop

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Xvive are making the dual VTL5C3/2's. Thonk have them: https://www.thonk.co.uk/shop/vactrols-vtl/

LFLab wrote:
Those vactrols are likely to be more expensive in the future still, there's now a Coolaudio part for the vtl5c3, but not for the double ones (VTL5C3/2).

Very tidy project Alan!
wackelpeter

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Got the S&H completed and running... nice little module... very interesting sound when you run a really fast clock (audio rate) into it and a slow triangle or saw (much better a triangle from the Serge DUSG or VCS with variable rates) as CV input and put the output into the V/Oct of an VCO...
Wow!!

AlanP

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Try running the alternate outputs into two VCOs Smile
wackelpeter

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

that's what i did also, and feeding the VCO's into 2 LPG and controlling those with the 2 pulse outputs gives an exponential fun curve... Very Happy
masterofstuff124

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Any plan to sell PCBs/panel. I really like that panel design. Dunno. Very Happy
Ayab

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

That is a really great build and I really like the panel too! Are you planning on selling pcb's or releasing the pcb layout for etching?
wackelpeter

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

guess it's a good advice to pick up some DIP14 CD4006 for decent prices now, as they seem to be obsolete meanwhile and i didn't found them at mouser, reichelt... You can get some at Ebay but some are pricey and some seem to be used chips...
Just figured that out as i was putting together a new order with some stuff for further projects, including the quantized random voltages...

Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 1 of 2 [28 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: 1, 2 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Jump to: