electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Arduino
DIY no-midi ARDUINO guitar controllers
Page 1 of 1 [4 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
stefano

Audio files: 5

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 4:13 am    Post subject: DIY no-midi ARDUINO guitar controllers Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hello,

I already built in 2007 "A DIY "no-MIDI" guitar controller for 1V/Octave synths" using a Penfold schematics, see:
http://electro-music.com/forum/topic-14921.html

Does anybody know if there is an ARDUINO project for controlling a 1V/octave synth by means of a guitar signal ? (only analog I/O would be used, I suppose)

Thank-you

Stefano
Inventor
Stream Operator

Audio files: 267

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I don't know of an existing project but you could always do your own project. I'd recommend the Circuit Playground or a Feather product from Adafruit.

Les

JovianPyx

Audio files: 224

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

See http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/forums.html?topic=26027.0 for information and links regarding a guitar synth controller designed by Harry Bissell. Harry uses a hex pickup because using a standard pick can't separate multiple strings vibrating at different pitches. Using a standard pickup, it might be (painstakingly) possible to pick single strings to get a single melody from the guitar. However, any noise from another string accidentally picked will throw off a pitch determining algorithm.

From the description of your project, it sounds like you want to be able to analyze the audio output from an electric guitar and produce a pitch CV and probably a gate that can then be used to control an analog synthesizer. There are several issues to consider.

1) The signal of even a single string output from a guitar is far from simple and would need much analog processing before a microprocessor can even try to determine pitch.

2) One big issue is going to be the Arduino CPU speed. It's just not fast enough to do the kind of digital signal processing that will be needed to give an accurate and responsive CV and gate output.

Harry Bissell's work is really a good base of information about guitar synth technology. Harry is an excellent hardware engineer.

As a side note to this, many years ago, I put together a simple UJT oscillator that when fed a guitar signal would track the pitch of the string I played. This made for some fun, but ultimately, it was not reliable as once the guitar signal died down enough, the oscillator would lose synchronization and would go off on it's own unrelated pitch. It would also sometimes lock onto a perfect fifth of the guitar signal (this was actually nice and was useful). You might think about using a 4046 PLL to track your guitar signal, if properly designed it might be able to produce both a square audio output and a linear pitch CV. You'd then have to convert that linear CV to expo (assuming that's what you need).

I know of no ready-to-build DIY projects in this area though.

Time flies like a banana.
Fruit flies when you're having fun.
BTW, Do these genes make my ass look fat?
corruptio optimi pessima
Sebo

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Here is a pitch detection sketch for Arduino.
http://www.amandaghassaei.com/projects/arduinodsp/

https://www.facebook.com/cosaquitos/
Page 1 of 1 [4 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Arduino
Jump to: