electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Les Hall's Projects including eChucK
Do something huge, immensely huge
Page 1 of 1 [8 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Inventor
Stream Operator

Audio files: 267

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 1:34 pm    Post subject:  Do something huge, immensely huge
Subject description: Like we are meant to do!
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The most amazing thing happened to me today. As I awoke, in the mists of foggy brain cloud of the morning, I heard a not-quite-audible thought in my mind. It said the following:

Do something huge, immensely huge!

Or words to that effect - I do not remember them exactly. Sounds kind of crazy right? Well maybe it is, I just have this feeling that time is precious and I want to facilitate as much greatness as I can.

So then all day, well, for half a day now I have wondered "what is huge?" - what could be something that I could do that would be "immensely huge"?

That's not an easy question to answer. I ran through my own skill set and realized pretty quickly that I was unlikely to do something huge on my own. So I thought about it. At the moment I have come up with this:

Facilitate the greatness of others!

In other words, I'm thinking of at least having a try at becoming somewhat of a "talent broker". Consider this amazing community we have here at electro-music. Mostly people work by themselves. There are some communal projects, but by and large it's a vast collection of individually completed projects.

What if we changed all that? Maybe If we had people list their skills in some simple way, we had a team of people or just one person at first (myself perhaps) who played matchmaker with those skills, and people could work together on projects and amplify their talents greatly.

It could be really contagious too! I never seem to do anything for too long, so I'm not saying I want to become a permanent talent broker, therefore the next thing I would want to do after getting the ball rolling would be to replace myself in that role. It's not about me. It's about you and you and him and her, it's about us.

If we took the brilliance, the experience, the newbie inspiration, not to mention the parts and tools awaiting usage in everybody's labs, and really put things into motion, it follows naturally that great things would be accomplished.

So if you like this concept and want to participate, just post a response and we'll see where our community takes this idea. Let's have some fun with collaboration and make the best of it!

Les

Cfish

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Could be a lot of fun.
Cfish

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You know Les. I'm pretty sure most of us don't see our real influence on the world.

today, you did something that probably seemed small to you. However the impact I saw after you left chat was amazing, inspiring, sometimes funny and very good.

Your neuro net discussion with Jan seemed to be far above the rest of us. However the discussion of AI implications and possibilities went on far after you left chat. Wish you had seen it.

You make a huge impact every day.

I agree if we pulled the people on this forum together, it would make Edison look like a foot note to the possible outcommings.

There is so much creative thinking. So much energy to do something. Especially, this is a group whome for the most part, don't abide by typical self centered thinking. That in it's self is something to be totally proud of being a part of.

I'm not saying don't do something even greater!!!!

But don't forget to stop and smell the roses.
Inventor
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Chris, my friend, your message arrives at just the right time. I was down emotionally and my Sister lifted my spirits with a FaceTime call. Then your message. I did not realize that thing about chat and you are right, we and in particular I do not see the impact that we make on others.

A friend once took a big "Earth Drop" 3D print of mine. He came back weeks later and told me that he gave that thing to his grandson and told him to show it to his teacher. He then said that now those kids in that classroom have a 3D printer of their own. I had to turn my head to hide the tear of joy. Cause you know, men don't cry right? Yes we do. Then he said "You don't know just how far your reach really is.". Nice.

So I'm thinking of this topic and seeing only your reply, none other, and I'm realizing that a truly effective action must be realized. I must create some things that lead to concrete results. I cannot live in the world of possibilities and probabilities that I so often relax into because that gets me know where!

What I need to do is do something massive myself! Then others will see the coolness of it and jump on the bandwagon. So that's what I'm going to do. I'm thinking now of something good and I'll tell you what it is really soon. You're going to like it!!!

Les

Cfish

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 9:56 pm    Post subject: Ignore me Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Just don't forget you are important no matter what.

I spent years developing a switching system and solar panel system to improve heat pump systems, to have Lenox beat me to the patent.

I'm still proud. Because they spent millions to beat me to something I built from spare parts and time. Very Happy
Inventor
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

OK, I don't know how immensely huge this is but it is a bit of a paradigm shift. It goes like this...

Circuitry is all two dimensional. How much denser, more capacity could we have with 3D circuitry arrangement? To that effect, I have designed the 3D printable form shown in the image below.

It happens to be rather 2 dimensional in form for now, so what I'll do next after laying out the circuit flat like this is rearrange things bit by bit until it's all 3D and stuff. It should be very compact then.

So you 3D print the form, insert the components, solder the joints, trim the leads, and you are left with a 3D circuit arrangement - or that's the idea anyway.

The form can be printed in plastic of various types or can even be printed in a filament called "PVA" which is kind of magical in that it is water soluble. So you solder up your circuit, then bathe it in water and the form disappears and you are left with circuitry in an artistic 3D form! How cool is that?

So yeah, immensely huge it may not be but it's cool regardless.

I should also mention that it is a paradigm shift in another way. I've been thinking for a long time about using special materials to make circuits of the 3D printable type, but the materials of today are just not very effective in most cases. Plus they are expensive.

So the shift in thinking is that the 3D printer can make forms for holding circuitry in place rather than be the circuitry itself.

Neato huh?

Les

CCS1 VCA 2.png
 Description:
emSynth component holding fixture, 3D printed design
 Filesize:  45.9 KB
 Viewed:  629 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

CCS1 VCA 2.png

PHOBoS

Audio files: 705

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I've actually had the same thought for quite a while, no not the 3D printing stuff but the "if we combine forces we could change the world!"
I mean there is so much talent and creativity here and if we could somehow channel that into a mutual goal instead of individual projects
(not that there is anything wrong with that) it could result into something amazing. It was actually what lead me to create this thread,
which was a bit of a probe to see if people feel connected with electro-music.com.

one idea I had was to create some sort of official electro-music.com synth. We have some great artists here who could give their opinions
on what they would like to see in a synth, there are great circuit designers, people that are good at coding, PCB design, aesthetics, some have
connections to get things fabricated, etc.

However, I also know that working on a large project with a lot of people is almost impossible, if it wasn't the world would be a great place
and we would all get a long. And I think doing it over the internet might even make it harder. Of course smaller projects could be possible
and music wise some albums could be produced which has been done before and was always a big success.

Anyway, yes if we all work together toward something (which of course isn't just limited to EM but mankind in general) we could do something huge!

Last edited by PHOBoS on Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:59 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Inventor
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I see what you mean.

Les
Page 1 of 1 [8 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Les Hall's Projects including eChucK
Jump to: