electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » MusicFromOuterSpace.com designs by Ray Wilson
So what else do you do?
Page 1 of 2 [35 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: 1, 2 Next
Wild Zebra

Audio files: 5

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 11:04 am    Post subject: So what else do you do? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Allright so maybe its OT(whats that mean anyway?) but what else do you kids build? I hang at www.diystompbox.com/forums/stompboxforum
There is alot of smart and cool people over there. Just wondering if anyone builds stompboxes too. There has been some soundlab talk over there, but haven't heard a confirmred build yet.

well just wondering

dnny

Audio files: 8

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi Zebra

i think OT means off topic?

right now im building few drum synths:

two of DS-7 clones
and two TR909 kick-modules

a have everything but the cases ready, does this sound familiar to anyone?

i really recommend the DS-7 synth - its very easy to build -
see it yourself
DS-7 clone page

if you need the PCB layout i can send it by email

the TR909 kick is bit more complicated and needs +/-12v power supply
tTR909 kick page

my soundlab is still a bit under construction because my front panel is still under some design issues -

i have just started a new hobby : circuit bending
any good tips for beginner?

mostly the projects that interest me are sound and light circuits

id like to ad a question: what you are doing when not building?
studies, work, hobbies? its kind of strange because i don't even know how old you other guys are? or is it just guys that write on this forum?

well here we go:
i have studied as a photographer but i work in orthopaedic hospital as a audiovisual-expert of operating room Smile you might think why there must be an audiovisual guy in OR -well the thing is that every now and then there are some meetings of surgeons and they like to look at other surgeons operate - so i produce live transmissions for them. i have lived up to 25 years now mostly in finland . when im not working i like to keep my soldering iron hot

those stompboxes looked nice - i might even build some... but first i will finnish the others

Daniel

Last edited by dnny on Thu Jul 14, 2005 7:56 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 11
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Kids? I suppose I'm still a big kid? ;)) !

I'm a big fan of stompboxes too. I've recently made two 4ms triwaves using a couple of boards from Dann himself (www.commonsound.org). I've been trying to clone a shin-eh fuzz pedal, and a shulte compact phasing A pedal too

But money is pretty tight at the moment and most time is spent bringing up my 2 year-old daughter (who loves playing with my junk :))

Funnily enough I'm using an original E-H little big muff as the controller footswitch for my pcb 12v drll!!! (I've already been told off for this!)

Tom

IST NICHT FÜR GEWERKEN BEI DUMMKOPFEN. DER RUBBERNECKEN SIGHTSEEREN KEEPEN DAS COTTONPICKEN HÄNDER IN DAS POCKETS MUSS.
ZO RELAXEN UND WATSCHEN DER BLINKENLICHTEN.
Mike Walters

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I've been building/bending/breaking electronics for 5 years or so. I have a website of my stuff at www.mysterycircuits.com

I work in Audio Visual during the day as well. I also play in a band called Jett Rink where I play keys.

Wild Zebra

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Cool glad to see some posts. Firstly I haven't gone to college for career type education. Hopefully some day, especially with my new found love for electronics. I've always been into tearing things apart and putting them back together. Currently work (in Ohio) at a publishing company we do course materials for colleges mostly. I enjoy photography, music as a hobby also. Don't play as much as I used to, just piddle around. Well thats about it, hang out with friends.

dnny, I've looked at those ds-7's its on my list I'd love the pcb
pm me

v-un-v, I'm 31 I just like calling people kids and I think there is a shin eh fuzz layout at the forum mentioned earlier. that 4ms stuff is sweet

mike- what can I say your site is awesone you seem like a very interesting and motivated person if your band ever comes to columbus let me know(that is if you live in the states)

oh and so far I've made: foxx tone machine, rebote delay, rangemaster, rat, optical theremin, mini amp(like a smokey), EH muff fuzz, green ringer, fuzz face and can't wait to get this sound lab up and running so I can start some other projects.

well take care

Wild Zebra

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

v-un-v heres that layout http://aronnelson.com/gallery/album17/SHIN_EI_FY2
I don't know if its the fuzz your talking about
FY-2 companion fuzz

v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 7:55 am    Post subject: Getting Stinki on the drinki in Helsinki! Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

dnny wrote:

well here we go:
i have studied as a photographer but i work in orthopaedic hospital as a audiovisual-expert of operating room :)
Daniel

Daniel, one of fave bands at the moment come from Helsinki. 'Circle' they are called. Sort of Magma vs Neu! vs Faust- space rock I suppose? In a very 'blast first' records sort way. They are very 'far-out'.

Being kind of partial to a bit of 'space' from time to time I also work as a broadcaster in a local community radio station (now that we are getting personal) and a bit of graphics and photography (I used to be pretty serious about that once. Age has mellowed me out somewhat! But I posted a pic I did recently of Damo Suzuki from 'Can'- who played here recently- somewhere else on this forum).

Electronics, music and noise as a byproduct of the two has always been my 'hobby'- and that includes several records out with a fairly well known record label (here we go....here comes that bloody ego again!!)

But at the moment I have knackered my back. (Orthopedic? perhaps you could offer me some hints? Although I can highly recommend the pain killing drugs my doctor has given me- they're quite floaty and go well with the space-music!!!!)

Tom

IST NICHT FÜR GEWERKEN BEI DUMMKOPFEN. DER RUBBERNECKEN SIGHTSEEREN KEEPEN DAS COTTONPICKEN HÄNDER IN DAS POCKETS MUSS.
ladislaobiro

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I used to be involved in electronics a long time ago. When I was 10 to 15 I built some simple kit-circuits like small FM radio receivers, power supplies, computer interfaces to demodulate audio signals coming from a radio receiver, and other stuff like that. Then I lost my interest in electronics, and when I was 20 my new passion was about music. Now that I'm 31 I decided it was time to put the two things together and start building electronic circuits usable for making music.

The WP-20 was my first electronic project after 16 years of silence. The only exception was a distortion pedal I built for my guitar (I play the guitar in a indie rock band) a few years ago, but the case and the switch I used for this project were too weak, so the pedal quickly broke down.

These are my future steps:
- WP-20: done
- WSG: almost done
- DS7 clone (great suggestion dnny!!! I love the audio samples on that page)
- Sound Lab
- 8 step Analog Sequencer (the simple one on Ray's pages)

bye...
ladislao
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Wild Zebra wrote:
v-un-v heres that layout http://aronnelson.com/gallery/album17/SHIN_EI_FY2
I don't know if its the fuzz your talking about
FY-2 companion fuzz

ah wicked! On veroboard too? Even better! Yeah this fuzz is excellent :) Think super-cheese Barbarella soundtrack/ swamp-fuzz/ 'Rhubarb and Custard' (if you are English- you will remember the plasticy-fuzz sound off the title of the cartoon?). This is all classic SHIN EI sound. My friend Jim has an original and it pisses all over any other fuzz I've heard! (except I'd say a 'Rat'- but that's a different type of fuzz)

Wild Zebra

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

sweet glad you know vero. Its a really nice way to try an effect without
making a pcb. I'll have to make it sometime. I made a rat for a friend a while back (never really played one) and they sound f'in great. let me know how it goes. I have some effects pics here

http://photobucket.com/albums/y160/WildZebra/Stompboxes/?action=view&current=Rat.jpg

some pics aren't that great and its only a couple. My friend took the pics
Iwish he would have gotten a better pic of the theremin its in an old
iron maiden tape case

v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Mike,

I love your 'Wilgamat'. I wanted to do the same with an old Farfisa organ (which had a wonderful drum box on it too- very hip-hop!). But my girlfriend banned me from bringing it into the house! So that never happened :(

It would be nice to hear it through a lot of nasty analogue fx!

Do you like Suicide? (the band, not the act of death!). They're my favourite organ act especially (well only) the first couple of LP's. Silver Apples too. (and a shitload of other stuff too!)

I'd like to hear more!

mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 212
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Fab topic here. Great links to stupendous web pages. Cool

I've been building since 1971, most of my building done before 1980. I still have some stuff, including the pic that is my avatar - a sequencer for my Moog Moduler. Don't do much building now, but I'm getting more interested as each day progresses and I see such cool stuff being done. I'm really intested in the stuff Peter Blasser is making. Check this out: http://www.ciat-lonbarde.net/ and http://www.ciat-lonbarde.net/kittennettik/index.html

Joker Nies who stayed with me before and after electro-music 2005 has two of Peter's instruments. These are wild and wonderful devices. They are very organic - intended to be played by body contact. Here's a pic of Joker's.

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Wild Zebra

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It is a good topic. I've been to that second site some real interesting stuff. Speaking of body contact Smile has anyone heard
of Bruce Haack there is a documentary out on him know. Super cool fellow who invented electronic intruments and recorded lots of weird kids albums. Mosc you should get back into building.

v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Wild Zebra wrote:
has anyone heard
of Bruce Haack there is a documentary out on him know.

I love Bruce Haack's earlier work. I wasn't too sure about his pop at electro though. I loved the LP 'hush little robot'.

I would like to see the documentary.

I'm gonna names drop The Residents, Dissevelt/Baltan (although having now heard the new compilation- I'm gonna add that I think Henk Baddings is better- although Dissevelt's "Fantasy in Orbit" is a classic) and Ray Scott here as well! (I've got a wicked cut of Powerhouse by 'Optiganaly Yours' too- forget boring old mellotrons!!)

Mike Walters

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Wild Zebra- Thanks! Actually, yes we're from the states. North Carolina, actually. We do tour, though we haven't been up to the state that's round on the ends, HI in the middle (and home of DEVO!)

v-un-v- Thanks, glad you like the Wilgamat! That's the cool thing about it.. I routed each instrument to its own on/off output, so really cool stuff happens when each is run to its own effect. It's also fun to patch to the SoundLab! Yes, the sounds are very Suicide-al. Esp when running the drums through delay.

mosc- Yes, Peter B's stuff is out of control. Amazing. I played a gig with him during his Shinth tour a couple of years ago. He used all his Shinths and his rollable blanket synth. Great guy, great music.

v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mosc wrote:
I'm really intested in the stuff Peter Blasser is making. Check this out:

It looks fun- but I think for what you get, it's a bit overpriced. To me it looks like an exercise in modern circuit bending- I reckon it would be cheaper to buy a 4ms Triwave and circuit bend that

v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

....or better still, circuit bend one of Ray's toys Smile
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 212
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yes, I kept calling it a bent synthesizer, but Joker says it isn't a bent instrument, but an instrument designed for the body effect. Since all of the internal nodes are brought out to the front panel contacts is is easy to interface to another bent instrument. You just touch one of Peter's instruments with one hand and the other bent device with the other. You body connects the two. Idea
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
dnny

Audio files: 8

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 2:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Getting Stinki on the drinki in Helsinki! Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

v-un-v wrote:

Daniel, one of fave bands at the moment come from Helsinki. 'Circle' they are called. Sort of Magma vs Neu! vs Faust- space rock I suppose? In a very 'blast first' records sort way. They are very 'far-out'.But at the moment I have knackered my back. (Orthopedic? perhaps you could offer me some hints? Although I can highly recommend the pain killing drugs my doctor has given me- they're quite floaty and go well with the space-music!!!!)

Tom

there are only 5mil people in finland and 50 000 in Helsinki so the "world" is very small up here (but Circle is actually from Pori western finland) - so it happends to be that Circles drummer Tomi Leppänen is my girlfriends schoolfriend and Tomi also plays drums in Aavikko - a great synth band from Siilinjärvi(finland) you can hear samples :
http://www.aavikko.net/diskography.php

my tip for your back shoudl be: dont go near operating surgeons - just stay whit the painkillers or whaterver you can do - some creasy things happen there when you are in sleep

daniel
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 4:26 am    Post subject: getting stinki on the drinki in Helsinki! Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

well what do you know?! It's a small world!! Yeah I'm sorry about that. When I went to America a couple of ignorant types asked me if I knew such and such a person in the UK. It's the age old cliche but people still do it including me Embarassed

Aavikko?? wow! yeah I've got a single of theirs that they did with Felix Kubin from Hamburg. I'm gonna have to play this single on my radio show on Monday night. It's called "Superlake Beat"- and I can highly recommend it. One for all those who like drinking Vodka on cold winter nights Smile !

I'm slowly coming to the conclusion that a lot of people here all have very similar things in common- that's quite nice to know Smile

I think I mentioned Circle because there is very much an element of DIY electronics on the LP i've got (they have done a lot of LP's). That LP is called 'Prospekt' and is a few years old now (2000?). On one track I can hear a (modified?) toy laser-gun chirping away in the background- nice.

v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mosc wrote:
Yes, I kept calling it a bent synthesizer, but Joker says it isn't a bent instrument, but an instrument designed for the body effect.

Here's one which works on body effect. I should have thought of it earlier- but was busy doing something else!

http://www.eam.se/kraakdoos/

opg

Audio files: 3

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 8:52 am    Post subject: Re: Getting Stinki on the drinki in Helsinki! Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

dnny wrote:

there are only 5mil people in finland and 50 000 in Helsinki so the "world" is very small up here (but Circle is actually from Pori western finland) - so it happends to be that Circles drummer Tomi Leppänen is my girlfriends schoolfriend and Tomi also plays drums in Aavikko - a great synth band from Siilinjärvi(finland) you can hear samples :
http://www.aavikko.net/diskography.php

my tip for your back shoudl be: dont go near operating surgeons - just stay whit the painkillers or whaterver you can do - some creasy things happen there when you are in sleep

daniel

I've been wanting to buy several of Aavikko's albums! I don't know how I stumbled upon them, but I love their sound. If I could actually perform live, that's what I'd be interested in. If you know where to get their albums in the Philadelphia area, let me know. Otherwise, I'll have to order them from their site, I guess.
radfaraf

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The only other electronic device I built so far is the cmoy pocket amp
Cheap to build and highly recommended if you want better quality headphone sound.
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

radfaraf wrote:
The only other electronic device I built so far is the cmoy pocket amp

What a useful site. Thanks!

keep em rolling in :)

Tom

Afro88

Audio files: 12
G2 patch files: 79

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

|
\/ I'm about to build this, still waiting on parts though... see http://www.ucapps.de for more info
Page 1 of 2 [35 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: 1, 2 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » MusicFromOuterSpace.com designs by Ray Wilson
Jump to: