electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » MusicFromOuterSpace.com designs by Ray Wilson
Another boring Soundlab MKII brainstorm....AR Generator
Page 1 of 1 [5 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
kdmr

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:25 pm    Post subject: Another boring Soundlab MKII brainstorm....AR Generator Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Noticed while exploring the Soundlab tonight that AR Gen. 2 is acting funny. The gate mode doesnt seem to be working (just kind of drones the audio when "modulating" the VCA). Trigger mode works great as do all the associated functions (repeat generator, etc). The manual gate works as it should, holding high while pressed.

As i write this I realize I should have done a more thorough diagnostic and tested AR1 fully...this will be first order tomorrow.

Basically I'm looking at Q16 and the switch wiring as possible culprits which is all fine and dandy because I have to look at my repeat generator pots (sometimes the repeats dont work unless i pull on the lugs a little!) but can anyone see other potential problem areas that might lead to this behavior? as far as I can tell this is the only thing left that doesn't work as it should.

thanks for all the help in my previous threads. Hope to return the favor one day!

slmsmarkii_page_6.gif
 Description:
 Filesize:  56.28 KB
 Viewed:  311 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

slmsmarkii_page_6.gif

kdmr

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Upon further testing, it seems the envelopes are behaving as they should. Sent the voltage to the oscillators and but trig and gate modes do what they should. The problem is now narrowed at the vca...There is always raw audio present even at full clockwise ENV. modulation of the VCA. I'll post the fix when I find it.
kdmr

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

always double check your solder joints
kdmr

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Been putting in some serious time with this machine and having a blast. Unfortunately, the AD2 issue is still happening but I've narrowed it down further.

When no gate source is introduced to the Gate In jack, the envelope acts as it should in all modes. Patching in a gate source (both my keyboard and sequencer) introduces the problem (again, when AD2 modulation of the VCA is full clockwise, it sounds as if a steady voltage is being applied to the modulation input, though the function of the envelope is also audible). The problem ONLY HAPPENS IN GATE MODE. Trigger mode works just as it should which, for the time being, has provided plenty of utility for super fun jams.

the gate selection switch and the gate/trigger switch are not faulty, the wiring is correct. I have yet to do a voltage comparison on AD2 between gate source/no gate source voltages, but maybe there is a spot that should be obvious that i start? still getting my feet wet with these sophisticated circuits.
kdmr

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

my immediate hunch is that i'm looking at Q16...when in trigger mode, Q16 is taken out of the equation and trigger mode works just fine. is this thinking too infantile? it seems like all it could be is Q16, D20, or a grounding issue. since AD1 works just fine, i suspect grounding to be fine. AD2 working properly when no gate source is patched makes me think that Q16 is probably fine as well. i don't see how anything wacky could be caused by D20.

sorry, not really expecting a response. just brain vomiting so its all in one place for future reference.
Page 1 of 1 [5 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » MusicFromOuterSpace.com designs by Ray Wilson
Jump to: