electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Lunettas - circuits inspired by Stanley Lunetta
8038 VCO,
Page 1 of 1 [12 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
mike page

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 2:27 pm    Post subject:  8038 VCO, Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I still havent found the VCO of my dreams. Has anyone played with making a super simple VCO with a 8038? It looks like just following schematics off of the datasheet could prove useful. (Apologizes if this isnt strictly lunetta)
https://www.intersil.com/content/dam/Intersil/documents/icl8/icl8038.pdf
Cfish

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm very interested to know how it works if you give it a try.

My math skills aren't the best but it looked like the design frequency is pretty high for audio( if I was even reading it right). What it can do is what is important. Especially in Lunetta.

Might grab a couple to try with my next order
Cfish

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Oh, and I had not noticed you on here yet mike. Welcome, and nice to meet you.
mike page

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hiya, yup im pretty new posting here. Mostly asking dumb questions at the moment but I'll share my discoveries once they solidify a bit! I have ordered a couple of these so I'll have a go and report back. wikipedia says its goes from 0.001 hz to 300khz!
fluxmonkey

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i believe there are designs using the 8038 in Thomas Henry's "Thomas VCO Chip Cookbook"
elmegil

Audio files: 16

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

fluxmonkey wrote:
i believe there are designs using the 8038 in Thomas Henry's "Thomas VCO Chip Cookbook"

Yup, part 2 of the VCO Chip Cookbook is about the 8038. The book is available from Lulu.com, you can get a PDF or a hard copy.

The datasheet VCO isn't the best you might want. The chip is similar to the NE566 which is linear and 10:1 sweep in the default configuration. Thomas develops some strategies to deal with that and is able to get 1000:1 and exponential response.

Since you're in Lunetta land, you may not care about the limitations, but if you do, I'd recommend the book.
trav

Audio files: 16

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

so did you get the chips and try them out?
gasboss775

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 5:00 pm    Post subject: 8038 app note Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It is worth reading application note AN013, "Everything you Always Wanted to Know About the ICL8038"

an013.pdf
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  an013.pdf
 Filesize:  85.59 KB
 Downloaded:  1531 Time(s)

mike page

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

trav wrote:
so did you get the chips and try them out?

I did but couldnt get it to work. So I gave up and made triangle type shapes with the r2r method.
stolenfat

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I looked at this thread before and put it on my list of stuff to get... Then I reread the datasheet just now and noticed it works on +/- voltage which my lunetta doesn't run on... Just ground and +v.

I havent dabbled in negative voltages yet but I suspect that would probably take it out of lunetta land as most of us (other than the godly phobos) likely doesnt have a bipolar supply in their machines. Other opinions?

edit: well paint me silly... as I reread the datasheet looks like the darn thing can run on V+ and ground and I spoke to soon... but perhaps thats what caused OP to have some trouble?

PHOBoS

Audio files: 705

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

stolenfat wrote:
I havent dabbled in negative voltages yet but I suspect that would probably take it out of lunetta land as most of us (other than the godly phobos) likely doesnt have a bipolar supply in their machines.

Shocked Laughing right,..
Actually, for lunettas I use a single supply. I do have a dual supply in the Asylum
but that's just for the mixer section which I wanted on a seperate supply anyway.
On the rare occasion that you do need a dual supply for a lunetta circuit you can often
get away with creating a fake GND. Not that there is anything wrong with using an
actual bipolar supply of course.

The 8038 is a nice chip btw, reminds me a bit of the XR2206.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
JovianPyx

Audio files: 224

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

PHOBoS wrote:
On the rare occasion that you do need a dual supply for a lunetta circuit you can often get away with creating a fake GND.

Yes, a virtual ground (here called "fake") may be used, however a note of caution is that the virtual ground is not capable of sourcing or sinking much current, so don't try to build a huge sound making device using that technique. A few chips usually works.

You can also strengthen a virtual ground using an opamp which will extend it's usefulness by allowing more source and sink current capacity.

One method that several people have used instead of virtual ground is that since they already likely have a +5v supply, simply add a -5 volt supply and voila - stable dual supply that can sink or source lots of current without causing problems.

Time flies like a banana.
Fruit flies when you're having fun.
BTW, Do these genes make my ass look fat?
corruptio optimi pessima
Page 1 of 1 [12 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Lunettas - circuits inspired by Stanley Lunetta
Jump to: