electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Articles  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links  |  Store
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
Live streaming at radio.electro-music.com

host / artist show at your time
<on air> Currently on the open port PHOBoS - M.I. Cloudius
  Muied Lumens Frequencies

poster

Please visit the chat
 Forum index » Discussion » Schmooze
Is youtube a good place to learn about music production
Page 1 of 1 [11 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
AlexBoyKing

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 1:05 pm    Post subject: Is youtube a good place to learn about music production Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

So I've seen some nice tutorials on Youtube on making music, eq-ing etc and some are well . . . the opposite Smile

For someone who is looking to learn electronic music production on a professional level, do you suggest that Youtube is a good place to start? Or should it be used more of a supplemental thing to a proper music course?

Just the royal lack of structure on Youtube totally scares me. I want to learn everything from the bottom up. Not like bits and pieces here and there.

What do you guys suggest? Thx!
softfin

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 3:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Is youtube a good place to learn about music production Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

AlexBoyKing wrote:
So I've seen some nice tutorials on Youtube on making music, eq-ing etc and some are well . . . the opposite Smile

For someone who is looking to learn electronic music production on a professional level, do you suggest that Youtube is a good place to start? Or should it be used more of a supplemental thing to a proper music course?

Just the royal lack of structure on Youtube totally scares me. I want to learn everything from the bottom up. Not like bits and pieces here and there.

What do you guys suggest? Thx!

Read a book on the subject. Music production on a professional level is about recording "clean audio" and tidying up tracks with eq/efx to make a mix work. I've studied 4 years about it, but i'd say you can get far self-educated. Good luck.
AlexBoyKing

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 3:05 am    Post subject: Alright Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

@softfin - Point taken. Yeah right now all my audio sounds 'muddy' as they call it in the industry. Long ways to go but it's a fun journey. Thanks!
softfin

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 4:43 am    Post subject: Re: Alright Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

AlexBoyKing wrote:
Yeah right now all my audio sounds 'muddy' as they call it in the industry. !

There's an easy fix for that. Low pass filter all tracks except bass (maybe bass drum too).
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 138
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

YouTube is a great resource.You have to be a bit careful as everyone has their own ideas as to what music is. It is unstructured and chaotic as you say, but that is how you would describe any gold mine.

School is great if you can afford the time and money. You get exposed to a lot in short order, but it's not going to teach you everything. It will give you confidence and some credentials; neither can be over-valued when you are starting out.

This forum is a great resource. I think you should listen to as much music here as you can. Find someone whose music you like and reply to a topic where they have posted music. Ask them how they did something that impresses you. Everyone is happy to talk about their music. I think you get better results that way rather than asking general open ended questions.

For example, if your mixes are muddy sounding, find someone's mixes that sound great to you and ask them how they work.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Airlock

Audio files: 13

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Bad mixes can result from bad mixing environments (small and/or untreated rooms, inadequate monitors.) The thing with mixing is to try to make you material sound acceptable on a wide range of listening environments (home stereo, car stereo, earbuds) so, without throwing any money around I would first suggest you listen to your mixes on as many different systems as you can and see if you can make improvements based on those observations. That's something that even the best-equiped pros do, and it wont cost you much.

A small number of pro engineers do have YouTube channels where they share their experiences and methods, so it can be a good resource. Another is the Reaper DAW forums, where you will find one thread that could be particularly helpful: "Why do your recordings sound like ass?" by a user named "Yep," who himself was a recording engineer. Yeps' thread did get a lot of responses, so to save time just ignore the noisemakers as best you can and just read Yeps' posts: http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=29283

(Dunno if it's kosher to put a link to another forum here, mods please remove post and shoot me the next time you see me.)
Blue Hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 212
G2 patch files: 319

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Airlock wrote:
[...] if it's kosher to put a link to another forum[...]

Of course that is ok, how useful would the web be without links Shocked

AlexBoyKing

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 1:33 am    Post subject: Thanks! Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thank you all for such phenomenal advice.

Looks like I got my work cut out for me Smile

Cheers!
MusicMan11712

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 1:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Alright Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

AlexBoyKing wrote:
@softfin - Point taken. Yeah right now all my audio sounds 'muddy' as they call it in the industry. Long ways to go but it's a fun journey. Thanks!

I erased a reply because it was getting too long. If I saved it, maybe I will post it. But one of the videos on youtube that resonated with me addressed this specific issue [muddiness] with what I thought was precise, good advice which was clearly and succinctly demonstrated. Unfortunately, I just set my roku to the youtube channels and had a whole bunch of videos on audio production play for a few hours--so I was not able to bookmark the really good ones.

Maybe you could try that--while you are doing something over a long stretch of time (like a few hours) just let you tube show you videos. When a "good" once comes on (or one that resonates with you and your personal tastes. interests, mode of being in the world, etc.) , stop what you are working on and watch it--rewinding it to the beginning if you were not able to stop when it first popped up.

Steve

Addenda:
I tried to reconstruct what I did to find the videos I felt addressed muddiness well. I didn't find them, but I remembered my viewing strategy. The bottom line (as others basically said): find resources that work for you (and are within your budget), develop your own preferences and techniques, listen to what you like and want to do, understand it and make it your own, etc.

I use Cakewalk SONAR. So previously (and again now) I searched for SONAR X3 (or something like that). I like Craig Anderton for the features he talks about and demonstrates succinctly, so I watched those. Then I watched some videos that focused on in more detail and showed the mechanics of how to access/open/get started with specific features so I could open them and later explore on my own.

Then I started watching a "How I do it" video from a hip-hop "producer." I was initially turned off by excess verbiage, but after a minute he got into demoing specific techniques--how and why he did them. I never got into micro-managing EQ, FX, etc. on individual sounds (e.g., BD, claps, etc.) and tracks (e.g., vocals). So, for me it was very useful [i.e., filled in a gap in my knowledge base of mastering for balance and clarity]. Also, I like the tech talk [personal prefs]; so his demonstration of how small changes in EQ levels (x db at y freq) spoke to me. [Mixing And Mastering Hip Hop Tracks Tutorial Sonar X3 - 2014 by 88Beats 27,802 views]

Maybe that one will resonate with you, maybe not. My point: Ultimately all education is self-education. Teachers, mentors, etc. (including book writers, video tutorial makers, website authors, etc.) have leaned for themselves. JMO: the best teachers are those that open up what they have learned and how they do what they do in ways that speak to us. My task as a self-educator is to find what's out there, find what best speaks to me given my wants and preferences, take what I can from those who offer, and make it my own by exploring, experimenting, refining, and incorporating that into what I want to do.

That's just me. I hope it helps.

Steve

Footnote: I have a friend from decades ago who (after college, 1970s, I believe) went to a bona fide audio engineering/production school and has since had a full life as a well-respected and sought after professional recording engineer. I mention this by way of acknowledging that schools can certainly be useful in your journey.
AlexBoyKing

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:11 am    Post subject: Right on! Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

@MusicMan11712 - First thanks for such a long response. Definitely appreciate you taking the time out and all. I believe in self learning but like you said, it's better to learn music production (At least initially) from the professionals. Like music schools or an up and coming music producer that you look up to (I'll be contacting a few on Soundcloud and bribe them - ha!). Overall definitely agree.
Airlock

Audio files: 13

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Tons of stuff here:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKy2GMVOA392OYDi-y_Pzrw
Page 1 of 1 [11 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Discussion » Schmooze
Jump to: