electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Lunettas - circuits inspired by Stanley Lunetta
An A4 PCB covered in lunetta circuits
Page 2 of 3 [51 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3 Next
mike page

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

PHOBoS wrote:
yes that works. However don't use resistors to mix, but diodes like it is done in the baby 10.
Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.

out of interest why diodes rather than resistors?
PHOBoS

Audio files: 705

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

If you use resistors you create a voltage divider since all the outputs that aren't 'active' will be low so pretty much 0V.
(even if the outputs of the chip would be floating you'd still have the pots connected to GND) By using diodes you will
block these and only the voltage from the active output will end up on the output.

If you ignore the pots and just connect the outputs together by 100K resistors and the voltage is 12V than you have
1 100K resistor connected to 12V and 9 resistors in parallel (11.1K) conected to 0V. this means that the output voltage
would only be 1.2V. With pots it gets a bit more complicated because all the resistors are variable.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
mike page

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thats what i was thinking. I guess I was just thinking about how audio is passively mixed
mike page

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Here is a video of it pretty much finished :

https://vimeo.com/209123093
Grumble

Audio files: 30

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

interresting! Rolling Eyes
synaesthesia

Audio files: 85

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi Mike, that looks and sounds fantastic! Do you use additional external oscillators or is everything generated on the board?
PHOBoS

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

you've done a great job on that, it came out very nice!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
mike page

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

thanks guys, its mostly 4 of those R2R steppy triangle oscillators. The top board is a bunch of modules designed by peter edwards (casperelectronics), the signal is going through the vcf then into that electro harmonix pedal that is giving the droney reverb noise.

As always as soon as its done an improved design is starting to take shape in my mind...

If I make a video describing all the functions i'll post it here Smile
droffset

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hello!
That looks really amazing, congrats. Smile

Edit: Spelling mistakes.
tjookum

Audio files: 26

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Rolling Eyes it's been a while..

Really nice work mike page! I think the artistic flowing style really suits the lunetta design. I have tried something along those lines a few years ago but never got around to finishing it. Your machine is looking great, I would love to see a more detailed overview. Here are some things I picked up on my failed attempt, maybe they are of use to you.

I used the cheap uninsulated 4mm banana sockets or eBay special ones with the plastic removed straight through the pcb, with or without soldering. And to keep it nice and cheap I used 16mm pots mounted through the pcb with the pins soldered to pads on the bottom. One of the reasons it never really got off the ground was probably the well known feature creep Laughing . I never seemed to be able to cram enough in and outputs into a reasonable space. I need my 4040 with Blinky lights Very Happy .

Basically it boiled down to cost per connection, 4mm banana's are a way better connector but header pins are just so cheap small and convenient Embarassed

The other thing I was limited by was board space, I was planning on getting them made in china. They generally charge double or more for the bigger sizes. Really good job on the A4 home-made pcb's, any more info on your methods?

Twisted Evil how many header pin lunetta circuits would fit on 1 A4 of copper clad....

noise
mike page

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Heya. Yeah I find the spraypaint-lasercutter PCB process really effective and fun to do.

I use emachineshop free software to design DXFs

Then spray paint a piece of copper clad board (Ive found bits of A4 for £2 a pop on aliexpress)

Then I use the laser cutter where I work to cut the DXF line into the layer of spray paint (acrylic engrave settings are appropriate)

Next scrub it gently with a green scourer until the gaps in the paint are shiny copper

Then dunk it in ferric chloride, and leave it and agitating it and examining it. Sometimes it helps to give it a quick wash to examine it properly as the ferric chloride is dark. If you hold the board up to a light source you can see clearly where the copper has been removed.

Thats it really, it takes a bit of practice getting the laser settings just right and the amount of spray paint but its not difficult. Its good to get everything setup before you begin somewhere with a tap. Obviously be careful with Ferric Chloride! Wear rubber gloves and goggles and wash your hand thoroughly and regularly whilst working. It will eat through clothing too so best to wear an apron also.

heres a video of it bleeping :

https://www.instagram.com/p/BUCX4xAF0SB/?taken-by=bastlinstruments&hl=en
mike page

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i made a whacker out of a HD for it today too : https://vimeo.com/219427829
MusicMan11712

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mike page wrote:
i made a whacker out of a HD for it today too :
I love the use of the HDD. Wild!
dougseidel

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Mike: that wacker is fantastic - a great drummer and looks good too.
Thanks for showing and i want to hear more music from it

mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 212
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Congrats, Mike. Brilliant. Keep posting those videos.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Top Top

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Just noticing this project. Interesting to see someone else planning on magnets for patching!

Would love to hear more in action.

mike page

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

my lunetta talking to my tricked out ciat lonbarde gerrasic organ...

GERASSIC from michael page on Vimeo.

[/code]
stolenfat

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

very cool!

Is there a filter in there or maybe an adsr?

mike page

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

the gerassic organ makes sort of plucked tones with clever simple triangles through a simple clever transistor vca. thats going into a resonant filter with the cutoff frequency being sequenced in time with the note trigger data. Oh also the decay of the vca is being poked at to vary the note sustain a bit.
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Very nice organ!
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 212
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yup, I like it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
mike page

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

here is a recording of a nice patch on my lunetta. Im also using an autotune pedal make the notes nicer, a resonant filter and EHX super ego pedal to do the sustained notes:

PHOBoS

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

nice one Very Happy
mike page

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Another jam on my lunetta with an autotune pedal and ehx super ego

Cynosure
Site Admin

Audio files: 82

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Cool builds! They look and sound great.
Page 2 of 3 [51 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Lunettas - circuits inspired by Stanley Lunetta
Jump to: