electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » G2 Patches - Experimental
Squelch without filter
Page 1 of 1 [13 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Wan

Audio files: 4
G2 patch files: 46

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 5:53 am    Post subject: Squelch without filter Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I experimented with the AD and DA converters, and stumbled upon a filter sweep like effect. Var 2 and 3 has the most pronounced one.

i didn't expect this. Anyone understands why it is squelching?

I think it can be a usefull effect

ConvWave.pch2
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  ConvWave.pch2
 Filesize:  1.49 KB
 Downloaded:  2163 Time(s)

mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 211
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I don't know why it squelches either, but I love the sounds. Changing the divider settings is quite interesting. This is indeed surprising. I would have never thought of trying something like this. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Axiom

G2 patch files: 28

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Nice idea Smile I've done a little patch that scrumble a wave using AD/DA convertors. I've used Random Pattern Generators to scramble bits of both AD and DA.. its funny Smile

Luca

ADDA.pch2
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  ADDA.pch2
 Filesize:  2.79 KB
 Downloaded:  2026 Time(s)

mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I like this, but don't care for the repetition of the random patterns. Changes them to Random A modules and increased the rate a bit. This is great fun. The micorsounds people might like this. Smile

adda-b.pch2
 Description:
Variation on a random ad-da patch.

Download
 Filename:  adda-b.pch2
 Filesize:  2.72 KB
 Downloaded:  3197 Time(s)

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Axiom

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Cool Very Happy I'd play much with those converters. Nice ideas can be developed with those.

Luca

jksuperstar

Audio files: 1
G2 patch files: 18

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Wan,

By doing the bit-selection the way you do inbetween the ADC and DAC, you're doubling certain bits, while throwing away others.

I made a simple graph using a spreadsheet, that is setup like most software compressors are- input on X-axis, output on Y-axis. To simplify, I only used 5 bits of adc/dac, but it easily makes the point here.

series 1 - linear (adc -> dac direct 1:1 connection)
series 2 - highest bit is used in place of highest & second highest bit.
series 3 - middle bit (bit 3 here) is used in place of bit 2 also.
series 4 - bit 5 (highest bit) replaces bit 5 and 4, bit 3 replaces bit 3 and 2 (somewhat combined series 2 & 3 ).

I use this method to create various look-up tables (that are larger than the 16 length (4 bit) sequencer/table that is available as a module. But I like the oddity you've come up with.

As for squeltching, it would depend on the divider/bit selection, and the frequency content of the input signal. In essence, (refer to the picture), a repeating wave (ie-frequency) would be jumbled up, in a repeating way. So in essence, you are moving the energy in certain frequencies to other frequencies. It'd probably be a good exercise to look at the "RAW" waveform and "DIST" waveforms through a FFT analyzer on your PC.

bit_munger.jpg
 Description:
example graph of "squeltch without filter".
 Filesize:  45.18 KB
 Viewed:  31548 Time(s)

bit_munger.jpg

Wan

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

jksuperstar wrote:

As for squeltching, it would depend on the divider/bit selection, and the frequency content of the input signal. In essence, (refer to the picture), a repeating wave (ie-frequency) would be jumbled up, in a repeating way. So in essence, you are moving the energy in certain frequencies to other frequencies. It'd probably be a good exercise to look at the "RAW" waveform and "DIST" waveforms through a FFT analyzer on your PC.

Thanks for this explanation, it is still a bit over my head, but the transfer of energy from frequencies to other frequencies is something that makes it a bit easier to grasp. I shall try to take a look at FFT analyses.

Wan

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I think the basics of the squelch behaviour is in the swapping of the bits. In this patch all the bits are swapped and now it has a sync like character. But a very powerfull type of sync, much more pronounced than the normal sync input.

Var 5 is nearly chaotic, if you raise the leven of the ad further it is getting noisy [knob a:1:8].

adda sync.pch2
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  adda sync.pch2
 Filesize:  2.02 KB
 Downloaded:  1945 Time(s)

Wan

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Axiom wrote:
Cool Very Happy I'd play much with those converters. Nice ideas can be developed with those.

Luca

Sure, yours and Howards ideas are nice and promising. There are things happening in the patterns that catch my ear. I am going to delve further in this waveshaping with adda.

Wan

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Another expirimental patch with ADDA.

I've made a matrix so you can set wich input bit will go to wich output bit [page b1]. So now you can explore what is the behaviour of the different mappings. And then the idea popped up to divide the different bits to see what that would bring [page b2]. Well, it introduces all kinds of harmonic series Shocked . Variation 7 and 8 are examples of that.
Added an input filter for the ADDA too, and that also has a great effect on the produced sounds.

I've made a quick setup for all variations to touch on a few ideas, but there is definitly more here.

Hope you enjoy!

Adda bitmatrix.pch2
 Description:
ADDA waveshaping with bitmatrix and bit dividers

Download
 Filename:  Adda bitmatrix.pch2
 Filesize:  2.98 KB
 Downloaded:  1940 Time(s)

Axiom

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

lol i can't believe it Very Happy i'm been working to the same thing this morning Smile I will load your patch soon into my G2.

Luca

mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

These sounds have a renaisance quality to them. Brings to mind a Christmas carole.

merry-gents.mp3
 Description:
O Come Ye Merry Gentlemen

Who know why...

Download
 Filename:  merry-gents.mp3
 Filesize:  315.39 KB
 Downloaded:  2477 Time(s)

Wan

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mosc wrote:
These sounds have a renaisance quality to them. Brings to mind a Christmas carole.

dancing

Very Happy

I know the tune, but i never expected this sound relates to it. Now where is that score of jingle bells?

Page 1 of 1 [13 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » G2 Patches - Experimental
Jump to: