electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » MIDI Controllers and Interfaces
Midi controllers with 4+ zones?
Page 1 of 1 [1 Post]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
finkalicious

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 1:43 pm    Post subject: Midi controllers with 4+ zones? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm in the market for a new midi controller, and there is very little info on which ones can split into more than 4 or more zones, unless I comb through user manuals!

I currently use an Axiom Pro, which despite it's widely reported issues has been ok for me because when I perform I only use it as a midi controller for an external sound module. Since I haven't had a computer up until now, the need for software integration hasn't been an issue.

I do have a computer now and want to upgrade to a better keyboard with software integration so I can start incorporating it into performances, but still want the same functionality from a MIDI standpoint that the Axiom Pro has!

Here's what I need from the controller:

First and foremost, it HAS to have 4 or more zones, so I can layer tones from my sound module in the same way that I'm doing it now.

49+ keys, 61+ would obviously be preferable

Lots of presets, like more than 20 if possible

The ability to program sustain and expression pedals to do more than just sustain and volume...ie cutoff/resonance filter settings, portamento etc.

I know this probably narrows it down to only a few choices, and the new M-Audio ctrl 49 probably fits the bill the best, since it's basically the newest version of what the Axiom Pro is supposed to be. However, knowing how many problems the Pro has, it makes me hesitant to purchase another m-audio product. Also it only comes in a 49 key version.

I've also seen that the Nektar Panorama series splits into 4 zones, but don't have much other info about it. I think the Behringer Motor also splits into 4+ zones.

Any recommendations? Or other solutions anyone might have? I know having a computer can resolve some of these needs, but since I'm not adept with it yet, I'm not going to be incorporating it into performance for awhile, and need the controller to have these functions while I'm transitioning.

Thanks in advance!
Page 1 of 1 [1 Post]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » MIDI Controllers and Interfaces
Jump to: