electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Developers' Corner
TL071 problem. ultra simple VCF
Page 1 of 1 [8 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
samsam

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 5:57 am    Post subject: TL071 problem. ultra simple VCF Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi everyone,

I have been trying to build the Ultra simple VCF for the last two days and things are not working properly.

Here is the schematic : http://electro-music.com/forum/phpbb-files/ultrasimplevcf_132.png

I have a power supply that deliver 9 volt and 4,5 volt. Thats what i read when the vcf circuit is not hooked to the power supply. Once hooked to the TL071 of the VCF, pin 4 shows 7 volt instead of 4.5 volt, and the circuit is not working.

Is that normal ? I have changed IC 's but they all behave the same. 7 volt on pin 4.

Did anybody tried that schematic ? or experienced the same problem ?

Thank you.

Last edited by samsam on Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:34 am; edited 1 time in total
samsam

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ok just found a solution, the circuit seems to work when i plug pin 4 to ground.

Problem is that now my op amp picks up some signal of my oscillator from the ground of my power rail.

Any idea ?
PHOBoS

Audio files: 705

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This filter is designed for a single supply so in this case pin 4 should indeed be connected to GND.
Pin 3 is connected to a fake GND created with resistors R4 & R5, so if your 4.5V supply is more
stable you could use that. As for picking up the oscillator signals it can have varies causes, even
having two signal/power wires parallel to eachother could cause it. Using bypass capacitors connected
at strategic places can help out sometimes.

Do you still get the oscillator bleeding through with the input connected to GND or 4.5V ?

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
samsam

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi PHObos,

Thanks for your help. When the op-amp is connected to ground the filter is working but i still get this bleeding from the oscillator.

How do you know wich value or where the bypass capacitor should be placed in the circuit ?
elektrouwe

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

samsam wrote:
but i still get this bleeding from the oscillator.

you mean oscillator @ CV ? That's a "ultrasimplicity" feature not a bug Wink
samsam

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi elektrouwe,

What do you mean ? I am not using the cv input at the moment.
samsam

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

OK a 22uf capacitor between pin 3 and ground solved the bleeding problem. Cool

Haha, this is really one step at the time.
Now i have to figure why the cutoff pot behave strangely. there is like a bump (sudden change in tone) in the middle of the course.
elektrouwe

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I thought you have a modulation oscillator connected to CV. This will always bleed through, because this simple design has no intrinsic CV feedthrough cancelation (as eg. ladder filters have)
Page 1 of 1 [8 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Developers' Corner
Jump to: