electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » WREN
Ideas for Wren
Page 1 of 2 [26 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: 1, 2 Next
Lfohead

Audio files: 6
G2 patch files: 28

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 2:52 pm    Post subject: Ideas for Wren
Subject description: Random Ideas
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Will update this thread when ever i get more ideas..
Ideas for wren:

Logic Pulse
Comb Osc
Comb Filter
Additve Osc
Audio Gate
Harmonizer
Frequency Shifter
Allpass Filter
M/s Filters
Pitch Shifter
Auto Gain. +- db range 12db for example, possibly with the Envelope Follower.Tracking Sensitivity and then Speed of which the transfer function is applied (Non Compressor)
I think would be extremely usefull specialy before a compressor letting the compressor do what its supposed to do. Fader Volume Rider type of thing.

Compressor (Negative/Positive Ratio)

Counter (Increment Counter By 1, Until Reset is triggered by 0.. And Output which gives current value)

Non Constant Switch (Takes two input with a constant vlaue, and picks the one last changed)

Multiplexer

(Audio Player Addition) 0-127 Slots for Different Samples (Then Java Map File Builder.jar) Can build those maps, which could be loaded somehow..

Draw Oscillator (Pencil Or Spline Based)

Master Osc (Turn DrawOsc into Draw Lfo)

Linear Phase 3 Band Splitter (Good For Processing Low Mid High Seperately with Fixed Crossover or 2 Crossover Ctrls, Useful for the Audio Player)

Phase Resynthesis (For Audio Samples, gives the abillity to smear a sound or turn it sharper and much more)

Snapshot Morph (Variation Tabs With Stored Settings, But with the abillity to move a slider to morph through the stored settings.. In other words multi parameter automation with 1 slider)

ADSR Mod (ADSR Envelope with Modulation Input For Attack,Decay,Sustain and Release)

Spectral Pitching (XY Graph, With a linear Curve.. X Corresponds to Input where the x range corresponds from 20hz-20khz, And Y Same But For The Output.. Adding points to the to the curve, moving a point upwards to pitch up selected frequency range, and vice versa..

Spectral Freeze (Useful for creating drone like textures from samples)

KeyFollower

Last edited by Lfohead on Fri Apr 11, 2014 1:45 pm; edited 13 times in total
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

:-)

Thanks! Will look into it.

PHOBoS

Audio files: 705

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I was playing around and had some nice sounds which I wanted to record, but because it's a bit too CPU hungry for my old computer I ended up with a
wav file full of gaps (they where evenly spread out btw). So an export to wave option would be great. But I have no idea how easy/hard it would be to
implement something that.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

There is some code in the code that maybe could do that ... will look at it.

Could you post the patch too maybe, for me to see if there is anything in it that runs slower than it should?

Edit .. it s actually pretty easy to make a wave file that VLC will play ... except that the byte order seems fukt ... just getting a buzz for now.

There are going to be some restrictions ... currently can only write 44k1 and 48k files, so the Wren sample rate needs to be set to that. It also is a bit clumsy to control right now ... lets first see where it goes.

Anyway .. why the hell is the byte order different for wave files and and wave devices ... :shock: ... something to sort out, eat first tho.

PHOBoS

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

ok, 'sambalbij' is what I had at first which runs at about 50%-55%
and when I turned down the speed of one oscillator I got some nice clicking
sound so deleted some things and made some changes. That's 'stipper'
which I tried to record and it runs at about 60% (if I don't really have
anything else running). Trying to record it with soundforge will up that to
±95%. But I did manage to get something recorded now Very Happy

bounce

sambalbij.wren
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  sambalbij.wren
 Filesize:  21.13 KB
 Downloaded:  929 Time(s)

stipper.wren
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  stipper.wren
 Filesize:  19.86 KB
 Downloaded:  898 Time(s)

PHOBoS - wren stipper patch demo.mp3
 Description:
wren stipper patch demo

Download
 Filename:  PHOBoS - wren stipper patch demo.mp3
 Filesize:  5.6 MB
 Downloaded:  1529 Time(s)

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ok .. will look ..

meanwhile .. the tools used made garbage wavs ... some wrong memory got written into it .. saying microsoft all over again .. in text tho ;-)

So I ended up rolling a quicky myself instead which now seems to make valid WAV files, should be valid for higher sample rates too. A test wav plays ok in VLC, WMP, CoolEdit, hmm .. I dont have winamp .. how odd ...

blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Nice variety in that punter stipper thing Cool

Not really seeing anything odd on the patches, executes as expected here.

the render to file option will be in the next version .. getting too late to publish it now, but soon.

blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Oh what you could do is set longer buffers ... in the settings screen use 65536 for instance for the buffer size, should run smoother, but more latency.
PHOBoS

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 9:36 am    Post subject: waveform suggestion Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

yesterday my waterheater was making a nice sound and I was wondering how to describe and synthesize it. Well, what it sounded like was
a drone sound with a low pass filter sweep (going up) but the filter itself modulated by what I can only describe as an exponential saw-wave.
Basically what you get when you take 1 period of a sinewave divided in to 4 equal parts like in this example:
Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.
and then repeat the last section, but a bit slower rising at the beginning and faster at the end. No idea if this is some kind of standard waveform
or if it could very easily be patched up but else it might be interesting to add to an oscillator.

blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You could try to draw it in the grapher ... Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen. ... abd then use a saw shaped wave on the input to linearly sweep the graph.
PHOBoS

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

oh of course, you can just draw waveforms in wren
I had seen it but forgot about it. yeah, that should work.

blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Heh .. even I forget about some modules Laughing
Lfohead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

A idea to put last in the priority list Smile It's a idea to improve Ergonomics in Wren.. Let's start with scenarios, lets say one goes to bathroom, or goes outside for a few min.. Coming back to patch and it hits you what was i going to do.. "Last 3 Modified Parameters" simply showing last 3 clicked or modified..

Ofcourse this could have many purposes, but a simple and efficient is just to use it as described.
blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ok .. I'll just keep the last 50 then in a viewer thingie, but only for knobs & selectors and stuff .. text edits get messy (as waveforms in graphs and the life thingie act as text edits internally with loads of cryptic data).

some complicating factors are that modules have strange internal names and that parameter values differ from what knobs show .. I've added module names in the module title popup to make it a lil easier to find back all ...

anyway .. it will be in the next release .. but I still think that undo / redo works better for this.

blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hmm .. this woud prolly make more sense on a per control basis .. last three edits on a knob for instance.
blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I meant .. more like this :

blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

As in .. that it would be nice when it would do undo then ...
Lfohead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

That's amazing! Very Happy Me like
blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Can do better even ...

Lfohead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

[quote="Blue Hell"]Can do better even ...

Oh nice! Thinking about it both are actually really useful, maybe a setting to select either one.. That is if you still have the code for both otherwise don't bother it's easy for me to say whilst you are doing everything.. Again keep up the amazing work! cheers Smile
blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I've expanded a bit on the idea .. collecting the knobs local stuff into the modules adding a history for modules as well, collecting those into the patch, so there is a patch history overview as well, with a neat overview in the latest edit screen which can show more items than possibly can be shown in a menu. Then I though .. why not add timestamps for collected eddits, so you can play them back .. not sure yet if I can make that bit work, but at least I can record .. lets say 50000 events ... also I;ve made it so that you can see the module numbers with 'toggle names', it is not possible to edit module titles in that mode, but can be used to map back items from the latest edits screen to modules ... that screen also got a multi select feature so you can reset multiple values to what they once were.

some screen shots ..

Lfohead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:08 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ah, just Surprised
blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

A lil progress on the automation thing .. that is .. it starts to look like it should .. some stuff works even .. like record, snap and send .. playback not yet. Send is like an undo .. it sends the selected column back into the system .. snap collects an image of all current control values, when record is on single control values get recorded .. time stamped .. anyway .. still lots of work .. planning on doing a module to control it .. like with a clock that can do send regardless of recorded timestamp ..also thinking about morphing between recorded values amd about time quantiztion .. and recording MIDI.

Not ready to go public with it, but it moves :-)

Lfohead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Holy! Not exaggerating the slightest, my mind is being blown to pieces..

Lfohead awards Blue_Hell Commitment Award Smile Now this is what i call will..
blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

heh .. aaand .. today it started to move a bit

Page 1 of 2 [26 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: 1, 2 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » WREN
Jump to: