electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » News... » Concerts and Festivals
Mountain Skies coming up
Page 1 of 1 [10 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
xjscott

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:45 pm    Post subject: Mountain Skies coming up
Subject description: North Carolina electro-music
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

May 5th and 6th there's going to be an electro-music.com festival in a smal town east of Asheville, which Greg has coordinated and put together.

http://www.whitehorseblackmountain.com/2017/04/the-asheville-electro-music-festival.html

I've been to a few of these and they are great. Really wonderfully organized. Fantastic performances. They are also very small. I think it might be because not many people know about them?

It wasn't posted here AFAICT. I was coming here to see if it would be OK if I brought my kids that are 12 and 14 who write e-music and are interested. The venue serves alcohol. Maybe it is not OK for them to be there. That's cool too, I understand. There's little info anywhere.

These North Carolina electro-music festivals have been going on since I went to the first one it seems. But I haven't seen announcements about most of them.

The artists, some of them fly in from other countries at great personal cost. The music is fantastic. The audience is often smaller than the number of performers. These events deserve to be more widely known and attended since they are among the best music on the planet right now.

Anyway if Greg is still here and can find out if it's ok for under 21 to attend I would appreciate it. Always glad to see him an Hong and I hope this will be a great music festival.

Also, there's two lectures or seminars but the topic is not noted anywhere I can find. Maybe I am dumb and my google-fu to find info is a fail. It would be appreciated to know what the lectures are about.
onewayness

Audio files: 19

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi Scott.

To the best of my knowledge, Asheville Electro-Music (and most other events at White Horse Black Mountain) are all ages. Certainly a family friendly event.

More information on the festival is also at emavl.com

I'll be there, playing with embral. Hope to see you!

Best,
Adam

Acoustic Interloper

Audio files: 89

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I found another page http://emavl.com/

By the looks of the kid in the lower left, it should be fine. Very Happy have fun!

xjscott

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 12:05 am    Post subject: concert review Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Back from the first day. It was excellent. Many thanks as always to Greg for the hard work of organizing these and to all the performers for coming, sharing, and giving their all.

This is a marathon event, about 9 hrs of music all together each day.

This was my first time at this venue and village. The venue is an old vehicle shop converted to a concert space. It has an ovaloid roof. The walls seem not quite parallel. So it has good acoustic properties. It's big, but not parallel, so you don't get those cathedral echoes that are hard to play in. The town appears to be a small town with cool stuff tourist draw. I saw out of state plates with bumper stickers announcing their allegiance to the village. It seems to be a two-street town where everything is within walking distance. I went to an extremely good restaurant for dinner and had near raw seared tuna and grilled asparagus that is in the top 10 meals of my life.

Consistent with previous e-m concerts, all the performances were good. Many were excellent. And several were mind blowing.

I think my favorite performance was the premiere performance by a new group Solemn Shapes, currently working on their first album. This is a gothic e-m trio. Their sounds and mix were exemplary. So many interesting things going on. The visuals by Project Ruori were taken from classic horror films and matched the vibe of the music perfectly. Very exciting to see a brand new group nail things so well.

After that the most excitement was from Kevin Kissinger's amazing Spiral Galaxies piece. This had a backing track from his modular studio. This track appeared to me to be entirely microtonal. Kissinger then played theremin in tune with the various intonations he had concocted in what seemed to me to be a polymicrotonal composition. We know the difficulty of playing a theremin in tune with one tuning, using specific long practiced hand gestures. But playing with multiple tunings is a tour de force of what can be possible with the theremin, and an incredible technical and performance accomplishment. In addition, the piece sounded great.

Waveformation was highly professional, refined and immersive as always. The two Continuum players proved that the Continuum combined with its accompanying highly nuanced and lovingly optimized physical modeling instruments is truly the king of electronic music instruments and perhaps the only one that allows for fully organic levels of expression that is genuinely comparable to an acoustic instrument.

Everytime I have seen Klimchak he has done something totally different from the time before, and to an extent that no one else could match or even imagine it. This was no exception. His gear consisted of a Tambour, things to interact with the tambour's membrane, a 14" pedal bass, a pedal tambourine, voice, and a MIDI controller controlling some software effects processing on a laptop. There was no digital synthesis, all sound sources were acoustic. But you wouldn't guess that from hearing it, you'd think there were electronic instruments involved since the sounds could not possibly be coming from acoustic instruments. One highlight was a blown tube with a mouthpiece not at the mouth but at the opposite end, applied to the surface of the tambour skin.

Paul Vnuk Jr.'s Wavedrum centered piece was played completely live with no prepared loops. You would never guess that. It closed the evening and sounded entirely like a studio piece. His performances are always a highlight.

This was the first time I'd seen Robert Dorschel. He played live music to accompany a half hour film about his trip to the orient and the things he learned. The film had incredible balances of poetry, comedy, spirituality, materialism, and just plain fun. I really liked this one, it was absolutely fascinating as well as hilarious and serious at the same time, a difficult mixture to combine satisfactorily but he did it well.

There's another day of events starting 11 hours from now. If you are in the area, head out there.
MusicMan11712

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks for the venue/event review!

Maybe if there are performances available (audio and/or video) artists who have made them available on their personal sites can post links in this thread.

iSteve

Last edited by MusicMan11712 on Sat May 06, 2017 6:56 am; edited 1 time in total
Acoustic Interloper

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 6:20 am    Post subject: Re: concert review Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks for the report! Do you know whether the event is streaming, or whether recordings will be posted? I checked radio.electro-music.com and the chat last night, nothing there.
xjscott wrote:

After that the most excitement was from Kevin Kissinger's amazing Spiral Galaxies piece. This had a backing track from his modular studio. This track appeared to me to be entirely microtonal. Kissinger then played theremin in tune with the various intonations he had concocted in what seemed to me to be a polymicrotonal composition. We know the difficulty of playing a theremin in tune with one tuning, using specific long practiced hand gestures. But playing with multiple tunings is a tour de force of what can be possible with the theremin, and an incredible technical and performance accomplishment. In addition, the piece sounded great.

Kevin opened a discussion of his preparation for this piece over here.

Thanks again for posting.

onewayness

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:36 am    Post subject: Re: concert review Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Acoustic Interloper wrote:
Thanks for the report! Do you know whether the event is streaming, or whether recordings will be posted? I checked radio.electro-music.com and the chat last night, nothing there.

Late reply, but Steve Mokris has posted videos of the weekend on his Vimeo page at vimeo.com/smokris

Acoustic Interloper

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:00 am    Post subject: Re: concert review Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

onewayness wrote:

Late reply, but Steve Mokris has posted videos of the weekend on his Vimeo page at vimeo.com/smokris

Thanks for the reply, Adam! It's never too late. Very Happy

I hope to get to listen to Indianapolis this week. My wife will be just returning from a ***long*** road trip, but I should be able to sneak in a little listening time.

Take care.

onewayness

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:48 pm    Post subject: Re: concert review Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I hope to get to listen to Indianapolis this week.

I'll be manning the streams part of the time, poke your head into chat if you're listening. Smile

djfoxyfox
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 5
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 2:56 pm    Post subject: 2019 is MOUNTAIN SKIES Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Tony Gerber and Mike Metlay are filling the void left by Greg and Hong. (They will be missed.) The festival is rebranded as MOUNTAIN SKIES. This is the name that Greg and Hong used when they started up this regional electro-music festival in Asheville. It feels fitting to me that this name returns with Tony and Mike at the helm.

I've finally gotten off of my duff (i.e. found a bit of time) and updated my events page for some of the upcoming concerts and festivals. More updates coming. Meanwhile, please visit the GALACTIC TRAVELS EVENTS PAGE to see what's up, doc.

--|_)| -----|-----()---------------------
-----------()----soundscapes.us/bill
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Page 1 of 1 [10 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » News... » Concerts and Festivals
Jump to: