electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Searching for TMS3631 datasheet
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 1 of 1 [4 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
adamstan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:32 pm    Post subject: Searching for TMS3631 datasheet Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

TMS3631 is 8 channel programmable divider/tone generator used as DCO in SIEL Opera 6 / DK600 Synthesizers.

http://www.vintagechip.altervista.org/ICs/TMS3631.html

I couldn't find datasheet anywhere... Even TI, who manufactured this chip, now knows nothing about it.

I need to know how to set it to desired note - how to program it.

It seems, that it is programmed by some kind of serial interface for each channel. It has clock input (for input signal to be divided), CE (chip select - enables programming), WCK (looks like WriteClocK to me), and data inputs. Siel synths use six channels, and there are six data inputs used (channels 2-7, and data lines 1-6). But I don't know exact data format it uses (how many bits, MSb or LSb first, rising or falling clock edge etc)

I'm looking for this info in order to make digital board retrofit (adding CC transmission and receiving) - to write new OS for new MCU I have to know how to drive these chips.

EDIT:
After reading M112 datasheet, I think it's also possible that the chip uses parallel interface, with different commands writing to it's internal registers... which complicates things a bit....

If you have any info - thanks in advance Smile

dco.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  84.12 KB
 Viewed:  504 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

dco.JPG

aladan

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Creeeeeak! And another dead thread rears its head.

I just found two of these chips! Did you get anywhere with this? Otherwise I guess I'll put out feelers to SIEL owners and see if anyone wants them.

Cheers,
A.
adamstan

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yes, I've found some info - unfortunately long after I sold my SIEL. I'll just quote my post from VSE:
adamstan on VSE wrote:
Today, after some googling, I've found this:
Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.

So it seems, that to send it key data, you do like this:

a) raise CE line
b) prepare key data for Ch. 1 on data bus
c) send writing pulse on WCK
d) repeat b) & c) for Ch. 2-8
e) send 9th WCK pulse for update
f) pull CE down

Also, the text on retropc.net site mentions, that it doesn't work straight with TTL levels, instead H is 0V, while L is anything between -4V and Vdd (negative power supply).

Unfortunately, in the meantime I've sold my Opera. Now I miss it Sad

I've thought, that one analog poly is enough - silly me...
aladan

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thank you for that.

After some extensive googling on the weekend I also understood some more useful information, which I'll put here to make things easier for future googlers Smile

There are two variants of the chip, generating different note footings. TMS3631-R1104 generates the octave pitches (2' 4' 8' 16') and TMS3631-R1105A the 1/3' ones (10'2/3 5'1/3 2'2/3 1'1/3).

Channel 1 on each chip can only generate the highest pitch, and not mix different sub-octaves.

The chips are a little tricky to use, requiring a -8V to -15V supply relative to ground, which means most MCUs will need level conversion circuitry to interface to the control and data pins. Data from the output pins is usually muxed together in an interesting way too, using diodes driving into a voltage divider off a series of footing amount controls. Really cool design, and ripe for voltage control.

Cheers,
A.

48.jpg
 Description:
Example circuit, TMS3631-R1104/R1105A
 Filesize:  102.76 KB
 Viewed:  432 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

48.jpg

Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 1 of 1 [4 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Jump to: