electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Discussion » Schmooze
Reaper 5.50 DAW implements SHOUTcast, NINJAM
Page 1 of 1 [10 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
airlock

Audio files: 53

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reaper 5.50 DAW implements SHOUTcast, NINJAM
Subject description: How to use Reacast on E-M radio
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The latest version of Reaper now includes Reacast plugin; the interface asks for: Host port, Password, URL

I don't know if it actually works but I'd like to try it here at E-M and perhaps join the show this weekend. I've read the E-M radio Wiki and the above does not look like enough information, can anyone here steer me thru this?

(Edited to reflect the current how-to): In Reaper Master Track FX add the Reacast as the last effect, then

Host port: radio.electro-music.com:nnnn ( 8130, 8132, 8134, 8136 or 8138, or ask in chat for port nnnn)
Password: public (probably, ask in chat) Smile
Current title: (put something descriptive)
The other fields: to suit

Save the Reacast preset (+ button) with the Broadcast button un-pressed or Reacast will attempt to connect as soon as it's loaded.

Make sure you have your monitoring sussed-out before trying to do a live show, i.e. if you intend to play live along with a project in Reaper you will find yourself rudely surprised, much as I did just last night. Smile

Thanks to Robsol, iSteve, and Jan

Last edited by airlock on Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:24 am; edited 4 times in total
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:32 am    Post subject: Re: Reaer 5.50 DAW implements SHOUTcast
Subject description: How to use Reacast on E-M radio
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

With URL electro-music.com, port 8130, 8132, 8134, 8136 or 8138 and password public you can run a test ... on http://electro-music.com/~janpunter/radio_info.php you can see the results of that test.

You'd want to set a stream title, maybe a song title - this is sometimes called meta information.

robsol
Stream Operator

Audio files: 495

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I gave this a try. It works quite effortlessly. Smile

Let me know if you need any help.

airlock

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thank you guys!
airlock

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

robsol wrote:
I gave this a try. It works quite effortlessly. Smile

Let me know if you need any help.

Ack! I need help! No docs, so I just put Reacast in the Reaper Master Track FX, plugged-in the info Jan indicated and hit the Broadcast button, got "Connecting" message quickly followed by "Error connecting to server" message.

Thanks again for the help.
robsol
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ah, OK then.

In the Field saying Host:port, put

electro-music.com:8130

In the password Field:

public

Song name is optional for it to work, but it's good to put a title of your choice here.

Leave the rest as is, bitrate should be 128 and sample rate 44.1 khz.

Then hit the Broadcast box, and that's it! It should show you the bytes sent, as a live update.

If you choose to put the Reacast plugin as an insert effect on the main out, everything that you play in Reaper will be streamed out, including tracks that are listening to live inputs.

I hope I got it right, as I am writing this from memory. In any case, I will try to be around in the chat tomorrow evening (thursday) to help out if needed.

It is an interesting addition to Reaper, as you could do a lot of things with it. You could essentially multitrack record all your inputs, as well as the main mix, while streaming it all.

Or, you could set up Reaper as an audio/midi looper, or perhaps even use it as a way to stream a DJ set, complete with cue outs and whatnot.

Thanks for turning my attention to it. Smile

airlock

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Great! I'll check it in a bit.
robsol
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

For those who are curious, this plugin essentially lets you monitor audio separately from the stream without needing an extra output. You could have an instrument going into Reaper set up as an audio looper ( https://www.soundonsound.com/techniques/loop-recorder ) and monitor your playing on a separate track/subgroup through headphones, all on the single native stereo in/out of a laptop.

I did something similar using the Media Explorer, which goes out the main outs but bypasses the insert effects. This lets you DJ (sort of) with recorded tracks on your hard disk. You have to be careful not to click anywhere outside the media clips, as the playback cursor will immediately snap to that location. You can probably change this behaviour in the settings though.

It also lets you stream files from your hard disk without a sound card, although you won’t be able to hear what goes out.

MusicMan11712

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I was curious about Reaper (I hadn't test driven it in years), so I gave the new version a try. For the September Equinox Event I used it to mix a number of files (mostly wav, one flac) as a sonic collage called "Electro-Music Memories." Five to ten minutes before my "set" the row of 25 faders at the bottom disappeared. In trying to get them back, I somehow got the faders to be side-by-side with the tracks. That turned into a blessing-in-disguise as it was easier to move the mouse to the various faders.

Once the correct electro-music port logon parameters were entered in the ReaCast VST plugin attached to the Master faders [FX plug-in area], it was a breeze to connect.

Adding and removing FX and tweaking FX parameters on the fly was also a breeze.

I see there is also a NINJAM plugin. I have heard of people who did internet jams using NINJAM. Maybe someone here wants to test drive that.

Over the summer, I sat in on some sessions of a spatial audio workshop and am wondering about the potential to live stream different tracks routed to different ports using the ReaCast plugin. It looks like each track's FX bin can hold the ReaCast plug-in with unique settings--though I did not (yet) test connecting to different ports. Of course, if listeners don't have multiple speakers to playback spatial audio, maybe they could just make their own customized stereo mixes.

Thanks for calling attention to the new version of Reaper.

Addendum (related links to Reaper Stuff):
NINJAM/Cuckos: https://www.cockos.com/ninjam/

2019-09-23_Reaper_September_Event-Electro-Music_Memories.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  571.36 KB
 Viewed:  653 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

2019-09-23_Reaper_September_Event-Electro-Music_Memories.jpg

airlock

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

That's a pretty a unique looking layout of Reaper!

I looked at NINJAM just now, and I'll join in exploring this with you if you're willing to steer me thru it as far as setup.
Page 1 of 1 [10 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Discussion » Schmooze
Jump to: