electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » G2 Building Blocks
More uncertainty
Page 1 of 1 [5 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
ian-s

Audio files: 42
G2 patch files: 626

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 4:58 am    Post subject: More uncertainty Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Here is a duplicate of another source of uncertainty section, 64 Levels.
It is based around a CMOS IC 4006 which is an 18 stage shift register organised as 4x4 stages + 2x1 stage. The Status module and flip flop just ensure that a 1 is present to start the sequence. Two of the stages are XORed and fed back. Six binary weighted taps produce the 64 level output. I’ve tried to duplicate exactly but I don’t have a Buchla system to verify Crying or Very sad . Produces computer game type noise at audio clock rates.

Offers nothing over the built in clocked random generators really, but might be of interest to someone.

64LEV.pch2
 Description:
subsection of buchla source of uncertainty, 64 levels

Download
 Filename:  64LEV.pch2
 Filesize:  1.51 KB
 Downloaded:  1567 Time(s)

mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 212
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Assuming you had one of the Buchla modules, how would you verify that your patch was equivalent?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
ian-s

Audio files: 42
G2 patch files: 626

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mosc wrote:
Assuming you had one of the Buchla modules, how would you verify that your patch was equivalent?

The 4006 with hard wired feedback and a known initial state will always produce the same set of voltages so it is pseudorandom, not really uncertain at all. If I have the feedback correct, and the flip flop feeds a 1 into the input after power up till reset by the 5th stage, the hardware and model should produce the same notes if clocked at the same time. The audio rate tone should also be the same if clocked at the same rate.
I am not sure how long the sequence is, with only two bits in the fb it may not be optimal length. This probably has more historical value than practical use.
jamos

Audio files: 4
G2 patch files: 41

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This is actually another classical illustration of chaos theory: that is, a simple operation that yields extremely complex results that appear to be random, but are actually deterministic.

In fact, all "random" process on computers are actually just forms of chaos.
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 212
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm not hip to the math of chaos and random number, but to me there is at least a subjective difference - at least to my limited understanding. In a random, or pseudorandom, signal there are no quasi-periodic parts. In choas, there are times when it seems like there is an oscillation or periodic type of signal. Then this blows up but is can eventually settle into another quasi periodic phase. My limited understanding is that the chaos functions jumps from one semi-stable state to another.

I read a math professor state somewhere that the orbits of the planets represent a chaotic system. I thought he said that because of very small changes, it's not possible to predict the state of the solar system in the very distant future (whatever that means). I guess the butterfly effect might cause something really dramatic to happen, like Jupiter sucking in Mars or something, especially if Mars got wacked by a big comet in just the right way.

Anyway, chaos and random aren't really the same thing.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Page 1 of 1 [5 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » G2 Building Blocks
Jump to: