electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Ken Stone designs - CGS
Getting started building CGS modules [Build Thread]
Page 3 of 4 [92 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4 Next
haebbmaster

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hubaswift wrote:
Maybe a general purpose PNP will do.

yes, BC557 or something like that

Hubaswift

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks for the info haebbmaster, hopefully the BC557 will also suitable as a noise transistor for the Serge Noise module.

Here's a picture of some of the pcbs that I've populated so far. There are still a few missing parts since not all of my part orders have arrived.

IMG_2163.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.89 MB
 Viewed:  723 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

IMG_2163.JPG

AlanP

Audio files: 41

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Huba, are those IC sockets dual wipe?

Because they look suspiciously like singlewipe.
Hubaswift

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm not very familiar with dualwipe vs singlewipe. What I can say is that some of the sockets are machined (such as the 8 pin one in the pic) and some of the other ones (such as the all black sockets) were salvaged. Is there a drastic importance between single and dualwipe socket usage?
haebbmaster

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It‘s just how good the contacts are. Dual are better than single and machined are best. I don‘t use salvaged parts. Contacts may be bad.

Read this on contacts
http://arcadecontrols.com/BBBB/ic.html

Hubaswift

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Okay, thanks for the heads up. Tomorrow I'll check the resistance between the pins on the ics, and where the sockets are soldered onto the board to check the continuity. If I notice any problems, I have some machine sockets I can replace the singlewipe ics with.
haebbmaster

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The problem is not the problem you have now. The problem will appear in a few years.
Dual wipe have double size contact surfaces than single wipe. So you will have less problems with corrosion.

Hubaswift

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Dang, I see. I don't know if I have enough machined 14 pin sockets lying around to replace all of them, but I'll replace all the ones I can for now.
Hubaswift

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I took out one of the socket legs to have a look at it. It looks to me like it may be dualwipe. Here are some photos:

IMG_2167.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  492.62 KB
 Viewed:  693 Time(s)

IMG_2167.JPG

IMG_2169.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  538.31 KB
 Viewed:  707 Time(s)

IMG_2169.JPG

Hubaswift

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Julian, the guy who I got to make the panel, is just about done making it! Here are some pictures of the panel he sent me. It looks amazing love

Panel1.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  61.71 KB
 Viewed:  636 Time(s)

Panel1.jpg

Panel2.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  64.25 KB
 Viewed:  631 Time(s)

Panel2.jpg

Panel3.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  71.73 KB
 Viewed:  636 Time(s)

Panel3.jpg

Ayab

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Looking good. Have not forgotten transistors, should arrive soon.
Hubaswift

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ayab wrote:
Looking good. Have not forgotten transistors, should arrive soon.
thumleft
other_format

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks for uploading these pcbs, I'm planning on having a go at the DUSG.

Just wondering if there's a reason the 100nF is not connected to -V trace on the left hand part of the circuit (from pin 3 of LF353) while it is connected on the other side? This isn't on the CGS schematic but I think it is connected on the Ken Stone pcb?

cgs_dusg_100nf.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  349.59 KB
 Viewed:  548 Time(s)

cgs_dusg_100nf.jpg

Hubaswift

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Just another mistake by me... I'll fix it and update the attachment on that post.
Hubaswift

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I've started mounting all the pots and jacks on the front panel. I've decided to hold off on buying the buchla style knobs for now simply because they are 4x as expensive as your average knob. So, for now I have some different davies clones and mxr knobs on there, and they actually look pretty nice! They'll definitely do for now.
The only things I've left to do are:
-finish mounting all the front panel components
-put a few last parts on the pcbs.
-build a wood case for it
-install the power supply, and pcbs into the case, and wire everything. This will take a while

Building the wood case will probably end up being the biggest holdup. Although I have access to my Fathers carpentry shop, where he has tools such as planers, table saws, chop saw, etc. Since everything is used more for crude construction rather than fine woodworking, most of it is out of calibration in one way or another. The planer's blades need to be sharpened, The fence on the table saw needs to be fixed, and lots of other little things need to be taken care of before I'm comfortable throwing some nice hardwood through the machines.

Here's some pics:

IMG_2306.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.3 MB
 Viewed:  504 Time(s)

IMG_2306.JPG

IMG_2311.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.62 MB
 Viewed:  481 Time(s)

IMG_2311.JPG

IMG_2308.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.58 MB
 Viewed:  493 Time(s)

IMG_2308.JPG

PHOBoS

Audio files: 705

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

that looks great Razz
do you have a spaceship to go with it ?

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Hubaswift

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks Phobos! Building a "spaceship" would be such a fun project. Imagine a giant cockpit fitted with modular synths, back-lit front panels, a surround sound sound audio system w/ subs, and instead of a window, a giant curved screen fitted for video synthesis Laughing You wouldn't see me again for a month!

I need to stop daydreaming...
Hubaswift

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quick update:
No, I haven't forgotten about this project, there have just been a few hiccups. I've been meaning to build a nice enclosure for this project for some time, but part-way in I realized that my planer wasn't planing the wood evenly. One side of the board would be slightly thicker than the other. Just recently I dug up a smaller portable Makita planer and have been using that. It's been working much better. Next, I need to get access to either a router or a router table in order to cut perfect 45-degree angles into the sides of each board. I cut the pieces from the board in such a way so that the grain will perfectly match up all the way around the box. I've attached a picture below portraying what I mean by 45-degree joint.

One other little setback is that I am unimpressed by the quality of the banana jack sockets that I got. If anybody has a recommendation for really solid, good quality (and good lookin') banana jack sockets, I'd love to hear it as I am planning on replacing all of the ones I originally got for the project.

One other thing I'm wondering about is if a switch-mode power supply would cause problems for CGS modules. I'd prefer to use a SMPS in order to obtain a lower profile on the case, but if it would degrade the sound significantly, I don't suppose it'd be worth it. My biggest worry about the SMPS is that I have a spring reverb in the case that would have to be quite close to it.

jZJM1m.gif
 Description:
 Filesize:  7.13 KB
 Viewed:  19488 Time(s)

jZJM1m.gif

The Bad Producer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Bit late to the party! But I use these:

WHITE 530-108-0901-1
RED 530-108-0902-1
BLUE 530-108-0910-1
BLACK 530-108-0903-1
GREEN 530-108-0904-1
GREY 530-108-0913-1
BROWN 530-108-0908-1
VIOLET 530-108-0912-1
YELLOW 530-108-0907-1
ORANGE 530-108-0906-1

Emerson Johnson banana jacks, the best IMO... Note those are Mouser codes, but you can also get them from Farnell (which may be cheaper in some instances)...

Regading SMPS power, I've used a few types with my CGS builds and not had any issues, though I haven't tried next to a spring. FWIW the 73-75 panels from THC use an SMPS too...

Great build BTW!

Hubaswift

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Emerson jacks are the exact ones I ended up getting. They’re definitely much nicer than the previous ones I had. It’s good to know that a SMPS doesn’t cause any issues synth wise. I really appreciate the info. If worst comes to worst with the spring reverb, I’ll try to find some sort of electrostatic insulation.
The Bad Producer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This one seems pretty good - at least it's used a lot in euro and Buchla modulars (they use the 15V version, you could even use the 15V one and then put linear regulators for 12V on the back end...)

https://www.mouser.co.uk/ProductDetail/MEAN-WELL/PD-2512?qs=V9a8iPeg90zL57YT5CaFMw%3D%3D

It's so cheap it could be worth a punt!

I have used the 15V one for my Buchla, but I must say I've not used the 12V on the CGS / Serge stuff....

Hubaswift

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks for the link! I think I used a similar Meanwell 12v SMPS to replace the power supply in a Korg T1 a while ago and I was quite impressed for the price.
Schläfer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hello !

I'm currently running a similar DIY CGS project and having trouble with the CGS75 VCS.

Anybody had any chance with it?

Here is the layout, it's totally possible that i forgot some trace or did some mistake.

I read after some research that it was some problem with the layout of the REV 0 board that was corrected in the production one, but i'm unable to find more precise informations about it.

CGS75-VCS.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  431.34 KB
 Viewed:  421 Time(s)

CGS75-VCS.png

CGS75-VCS_comp.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  118.19 KB
 Viewed:  348 Time(s)

CGS75-VCS_comp.png

Hubaswift

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

On the VCS page is mentioned an incorrect resistor value on Rev 0 boards
"On the first run of these PCBs (REV0.0 red boards) the specified 220k resistor connected to the emitters of the four transistors should be 8k2. On the VER1.0 boards, the 22k resistor in this location should be 8k2." Is this possibly the problem that was being referred to?

Are you sure it's a layout fault? There's always the possibility of an etching fault, soldering short, faulty component, etc. It probably would be a good idea to also post a picture of the top/bottom of your board and post it. If I'm able to find a chunk of free time today I'll go over the Rev 0 layout and compare it to the schematic to see if there are any discrepancies.

Thanks for posting the Layout Schläfer! I'd love to see more of the DIY CGS project your working on.
Schläfer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

For sure, mistakes could have been made at different steps, i checked very carefully every solder joint / connections yesterday, without finding anything.

I will switch the resistor as you said, and double check the pinout of the transistors and keep you updated.

I'm not in my atelier now but will take pictures of the board as soon as i go back there.

Here is a pic of the panel, it will be mixed with attenuverters (from befaco circuit) and analog logic from CGS to make a kind of math-like module

43078602_10214360207133276_7637613451963006976_o.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  575.4 KB
 Viewed:  336 Time(s)

43078602_10214360207133276_7637613451963006976_o.jpg

Page 3 of 4 [92 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Ken Stone designs - CGS
Jump to: