electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » MusicFromOuterSpace.com designs by Ray Wilson
MFOS Soundlab Ultimate Midi Mod
Page 1 of 1 [8 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
BÄDBUNNY

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:51 am    Post subject:  MFOS Soundlab Ultimate Midi Mod
Subject description: How to wire
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

So to introduce myself: I'm pretty new here in this forum, to analog synthesis and DIY stuff. I'm just building a MFOS Soundlab Ultimate and also want to include a Midi to CV Converter.

Since I'm pretty unexperienced I want to know if anybody here has an idea how I can Midi control the most of the stuff that's possible my Soundlab. I know I can use something like a Doepfer MCV4, Darklink or a Midimplant from Roman Sowa. But have these enough outputs? How many outputs do I need?

Does anyone can help me what I shall choose and how I need to connect it to the soundlab? I don't really need to build in the converter but if it's possible to build the Midimplant into it I will do it so and than I guess I can save some audio jacks on the front.

On the front panel there are already three VCO LOG-CV In's so I guess I need to connect these with three Midi/CV-Converter-Outputs from a Doepfer that I can control all of these Oscillators?

I just want to control the tone high that coming out of the Soundlab via Keyboard (and maybe some mod wheel stuff). I don't know whats possible without completely modding the whole synth PCB.
elmegil

Audio files: 16

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm building an Ultimate + Expander + MIDI for someone right now.

My choice is to connect the CV and gate and trigger to:

1) the switch lug of the CVs (all 3 oscillators) in and gate and trigger in

2) bananas on a little aux panel, like the already existing aux panels for the Ultimate and Expander.

Also going to connect all the other values to the panel as well; plan to use the Kvitek MIDISizer, and in MONO mode I will have velocity, bend, cc1, start, and clock outputs, as well as LEDs for activity on MIDI and gate.

MFOS-MIDISizer.jpg
 Description:
Ignore the fact that this shows 1/4" jacks, I'm gonna use bananas :)
 Filesize:  162.05 KB
 Viewed:  480 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

MFOS-MIDISizer.jpg

BÄDBUNNY

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

[quote="elmegil"]I'm building an Ultimate + Expander + MIDI for someone right now.

My choice is to connect the CV and gate and trigger to:

1) the switch lug of the CVs (all 3 oscillators) in and gate and trigger in

2) bananas on a little aux panel, like the already existing aux panels for the Ultimate and Expander.

Also going to connect all the other values to the panel as well; plan to use the Kvitek MIDISizer, and in MONO mode I will have velocity, bend, cc1, start, and clock outputs, as well as LEDs for activity on MIDI and gate.[/quote]

Thanks for the reply! Can you send some updates during the building process? I'm right on soldering the whole stuff together!
I wanted to use a midimplant. Are there any differences between? Guess the Midsizer is a bit cheaper!

I just had the great Idea since I saw it on a SL Mini Mk2 build to make a three state switch and switch between internal Midi-Module, external midi-module and no CV. Guess that would be pretty nice 2 have.

How would you connect it to a soundlab ultimate without an expander?
elmegil

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

BÄDBUNNY wrote:

Thanks for the reply! Can you send some updates during the building process? I'm right on soldering the whole stuff together!
I wanted to use a midimplant. Are there any differences between? Guess the Midsizer is a bit cheaper!

I'm not sure it's much cheaper after you pay for the components. It's just easier to mount, IMO. I have room and can do standoffs....

MIDISizer has a lot of options to it, like gate voltage levels, that are programmable with jumpers instead of sysex.

BADBUNNY wrote:

I just had the great Idea since I saw it on a SL Mini Mk2 build to make a three state switch and switch between internal Midi-Module, external midi-module and no CV. Guess that would be pretty nice 2 have.

How would you connect it to a soundlab ultimate without an expander?

Similarly, using the switches on the input jacks. Switching isn't a bad idea, I'll have to think about that.
BÄDBUNNY

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

[quote]Similarly, using the switches on the input jacks. Switching isn't a bad idea, I'll have to think about that. [/quote]

Yeah I guess I will also implement this. This is a good way to make it more suitable for different situations.

[quote]I'm not sure it's much cheaper after you pay for the components. It's just easier to mount, IMO. I have room and can do standoffs....

MIDISizer has a lot of options to it, like gate voltage levels, that are programmable with jumpers instead of sysex. [/quote]

Guess I'm gonna also go for it. Hopefully the custom service in Germany does not give that much attention Laughing

I will update this topic if I implemented the solutions. Maybe you can also do this Razz
johnstilton

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Appologies for bumping this older thread but is this the Midi - CV device that is you are using? Did the build go successfully? I am considering MIDI - CV options for my MFOS ultimate+expender build as well.

https://midisizer.com/midi2cv-mk2/

Can anyone post any pictures of the finished product incorporated into their panels?

Thank you.
elmegil

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I still haven't gotten mine wired :/ I don't plan to mount to the panel though, I have built a custom box for all of it, everything's going to be mounted in the bottom and then wired where it needs to go.
BÄDBUNNY

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 2:01 am    Post subject: Midimod Update Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

So the project was laying around for some months. I just finished the Design and the MFOS Build will be nicer than every build you've seen.
In topic of the Midimod I built a Midi-CV Converter on my own with this instruction. I built a small PCB with an Arduino Nano mounted.
It's already done but not testet yet. I'm waiting for the Case to mount it all and the go on troubleshooting.

https://github.com/elkayem/midi2cv

Have a great day!
Page 1 of 1 [8 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » MusicFromOuterSpace.com designs by Ray Wilson
Jump to: