electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » MusicFromOuterSpace.com designs by Ray Wilson
[Solved] Wall Wart PSU Multiple Output Voltages
Page 1 of 1 [12 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Xorophone

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:20 am    Post subject: [Solved] Wall Wart PSU Multiple Output Voltages Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hello!

I'm building an analog synthesizer (not modular) and I need a bipolar 15v supply for most of my modules (VCO, VCF etc), but I also need a 12v output for some of Ray Wilson's designs. What would be the best way to achieve this? Should I connect two parallel wall wart circuits to my 15v AC power supply or just somehow use a pair of 7812/7912 to convert it from 15vDC to 12vDC? If so, how do I do this? Are any extra components needed?

Thank you in advance and sorry for the beginner question.

Last edited by Xorophone on Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:12 am; edited 1 time in total
Xorophone

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ok so I researched it a little bit more (which I definitely should have done earlier. Sorry.) I made a schematic that I think would work.

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.

Would this work? I'm getting my +15v source from Ray Wilson's wall wart supply PCB. Since it's bipolar and I only need unipolar 12v and 5v power I'm leaving the -15v side free.

What value should the middle capacitor be? 2uF, like if i'd used 2x 1uF capacitors in parallel?

Edit: The voltage regulator to the right is supposed to be a 7805. Thanks to Grumble for pointing that out.

Last edited by Xorophone on Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Grumble

Audio files: 30

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

the right voltage regulator should be a LM7805
Xorophone

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Grumble wrote:
the right voltage regulator should be a LM7805

Oh yeah, you're right. I forgot to change it.

Apart from that, do you think the circuit will work? Any ideas what the value of the middle capacitor should be? Thank you for the reply by the way!
Grumble

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I’d use a 1uF parallel with a 100nF
Xorophone

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Grumble wrote:
I’d use a 1uF parallel with a 100nF

Hmm.. Interesting! Any specific reason for that?
Grumble

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

the 1uF filters the lower frequencies, and usualy have a somewhat higher inductance while the 100nF takes care of filtering the higher frequencies
Xorophone

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Grumble wrote:
the 1uF filters the lower frequencies, and usualy have a somewhat higher inductance while the 100nF takes care of filtering the higher frequencies

Oh, I actually didn't know it made a difference compared to just using one capacitor. Thank you for the explanation!
PHOBoS

Audio files: 705

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I think for what you need this might be the best solution but it depends a bit on the maximum current. The main problem
will be heat dissipation. If you use another wallwart circuit for 12V there is a pretty big voltage drop (using 15V AC) which
can generate a lot of heat. If you put them after the 15V regulator they don't get as hot but the 15V regulators will have to
dissipate more. You do have to pay attention that you don't go over the maximum current the 15V regulators can handle
though. If you do need a reasonable amount of current for 12V your best bet would be another wallwart with a lower voltage.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Xorophone

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

PHOBoS wrote:
I think for what you need this might be the best solution but it depends a bit on the maximum current. The main problem
will be heat dissipation. If you use another wallwart circuit for 12V there is a pretty big voltage drop (using 15V AC) which
can generate a lot of heat. If you put them after the 15V regulator they don't get as hot but the 15V regulators will have to
dissipate more. You do have to pay attention that you don't go over the maximum current the 15V regulators can handle
though. If you do need a reasonable amount of current for 12V your best bet would be another wallwart with a lower voltage.

Thank you for the clarification! I'm pretty sure I won't be drawing too much current, but I'll do some calculations just to be on the safe side. I'll also use 78xx (and not 78Lxx) with small heat sinks, just for safe measure. Space isn't a problem.

Oh and since I'm not building a modular synth, the power consumption should stay the same pretty much all the time.
PHOBoS

Audio files: 705

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

ow, where are my manners
welcome party!

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
khakifridge

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Check what Ray says about powering from +-15V. For many of his projects, no changes at all are necessary. For others, you may find only a handful of component changes are needed.
Page 1 of 1 [12 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » MusicFromOuterSpace.com designs by Ray Wilson
Jump to: