electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Artists » Klangumsetzer
waveforms
Page 1 of 2 [26 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: 1, 2 Next
klangumsetzer

Audio files: 32

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:42 pm    Post subject: waveforms
Subject description: invitation to collaborate
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

While visiting my brother in Vancouver, Canada I shot the following pictures of what reminded me of audio waveforms.

In 2017 Stefan and I talked about using the photographs below as inspiration for music.
If you feel inspired and want to contribute or collaborate, you are hereby invited to do so! Very Happy

waveforms_clouds.jpg
 Description:
Copyright 2018 by klangumsetzer
 Filesize:  82.2 KB
 Viewed:  974 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

waveforms_clouds.jpg

waveforms_sunset.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  65.26 KB
 Viewed:  969 Time(s)

waveforms_sunset.jpg

morning_fog.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  88.44 KB
 Viewed:  995 Time(s)

morning_fog.jpg

Eike
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Those are very nice pictures and I'm trying some stuff right now with sounds .. latest comment I got on those that they sounded industrial ... soo .. some more work to do on that I guess :-)

Edit: and although I do see the the wave like horizon, I seem to be going more into the atmospherics .. as in there are coarse visible structures and detailed ones.There is sharp contrast and soft contrast , to not have color seems strange in sound ... not sure yet what that would mean to me.. fog is a thing ..what does fog sound like .. it seems snow like to me .. as in cut highs mostly .. yet not all is foggy .. I didn't hear the industrial comment anymore (from the chat)..promising .. but will fiddle it a bit longer.

Would this look or sound like a landscape of sorts?

klangumsetzer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Blue Hell wrote:
Those are very nice pictures and I'm trying some stuff right now with sounds .. latest comment I got on those that they sounded industrial ... soo .. some more work to do on that I guess Smile

Thank you, Jan: So nice that you want to participate!

When I was in Vancouver I was fascinated by the looming, omnipresent mountains, something you do not find on Sweden's West Coast.
The silhouettes of the mountain ranges reminded me of amplitude(time) wavefrom representations. If you look at landscapes one could include the frequency dimension.

Blue Hell wrote:

Edit: and although I do see the the wave like horizon, I seem to be going more into the atmospherics .. as in there are coarse visible structures and detailed ones.There is sharp contrast and soft contrast , to not have color seems strange in sound ... not sure yet what that would mean to me.. fog is a thing ..what does fog sound like .. it seems snow like to me .. as in cut highs mostly .. yet not all is foggy .. I didn't hear the industrial comment anymore (from the chat)..promising .. but will fiddle it a bit longer.

I think there are in principle two basic approaches: The analytical, intellectual one and the personal one, involving feelings and memories.
You can analyze e.g. the structure and textures and you can put the findings in relation to your experience or even an emotional response.

To me black&white photographs emphasize e.g. structure and texture, e.g. the detailed, rugged outlines of the conifers.
When I look at b&w photos I still sense color although there is none. This could be a perception issue of seeing a form and associating a certain quality from memory.

Mist or smoke have a dampening aspect but foremost they create a sense of depth similar to creating a certain depth of plan by choosing a lower aperture (f-stop).

Blue Hell wrote:

Would this look or sound like a landscape of sorts?

To me it looks rather industrial! Wink Very Happy

As you know I am not that experienced in modular synthesis that I can look at a patch and transalte it into sound.

What I find really fascinatingis how something which seems quite limited - words, pictures - can evoke so many different reactions which then can lead to vastly different outcomes. To me this seems to be an essential human characteristic and probably the reason why I enjoy electronic music and photography so much as a combination of technical understanding and deep personal involvement.

I hope this helps!

Eike
blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The patch is a noodle, and as such it just goes on and it will sound different at different times. I've recorded a small bit of it to be attached here. I'll ad the patch as well for a longer version.

2018-02-28--blue hell--Music for Landscape.mp3
 Description:
Blue Hell - Music for Landscape

Download
 Filename:  2018-02-28--blue hell--Music for Landscape.mp3
 Filesize:  10.91 MB
 Downloaded:  1945 Time(s)

2018-02-24-01-music-for-landscape.wren
 Description:
Blue Hell - Music for Landscape

Download
 Filename:  2018-02-24-01-music-for-landscape.wren
 Filesize:  116.67 KB
 Downloaded:  1070 Time(s)

AlanP

Audio files: 41

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Took this photo while travelling... somewhere... I think... I honestly can't remember.

But I like the mixture of the mist, and how the trees overall look a bit like clouds.

nz pine.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  521.63 KB
 Viewed:  957 Time(s)

nz pine.JPG

klangumsetzer

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Blue Hell wrote:
The patch is a noodle, and as such it just goes on and it will sound different at different times. I've recorded a small bit of it to be attached here. I'll ad the patch as well for a longer version.

Thank you so much, Jan, for your contribution! Very Happy
You really managed to capture the atmosphere and create a sense of space and depth. The longing, voice-like melody reminded me of the piece 'For Bunita Marcos' by Morton Feldman.

Would you like to comment on your process?
I am always interested to learn how music is created i.e. which ideas or concepts were experimented with and which decisions were made.

Eike
klangumsetzer

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

AlanP wrote:
Took this photo while travelling... somewhere... I think... I honestly can't remember.

But I like the mixture of the mist, and how the trees overall look a bit like clouds.

Thanks for posting Alan!

Those slopes are so steep, yet due to the vegetation they look mellow.
I especially am fascinated by the clear difference between left and right side - areal vs spacious/jugged vs smooth. and the different nuances of green.

Eike
klangumsetzer

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Here comes my impression, using my Moog Voyager as sound source.

(Sadly, it appears that the Mod wheel has stopped working. It puts out MIDI data but does not show any effect on the mod 1 bus. A pedal plugged into the mod 1 input works...)

waveforms.mp3
 Description:
per Creative Commons 3.0, free to use & share as long as you attribute the composer/performer

Download
 Filename:  waveforms.mp3
 Filesize:  54.99 MB
 Downloaded:  2324 Time(s)

Eike
AlanP

Audio files: 41

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Very, very relaxing, Eike. What is that fluting sound?
klangumsetzer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thank you!

The flute sound is just a slightly modulated triangle wave on the Moog Voyager. I used a CV pedal to control the filter cutoff frequency to make the sound less static.

Eike
PHOBoS

Audio files: 705

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'd thought about starting a thread like this so I guess that wasn't such a bad idea Very Happy.

Here's the first short track I made inspired by morning fog. It started
out with processing the photo a bit and then turning it into sound.

PHOBoS - Morning Fog.mp3
 Description:
PHOBoS - Morning Fog

Download
 Filename:  PHOBoS - Morning Fog.mp3
 Filesize:  2.38 MB
 Downloaded:  1640 Time(s)

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
klangumsetzer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thank you for participating, PHOBoS! Very Happy

The good thing with using photos is that pictures can evoke a direct (emotional) response, similar to music. And as photographer you can fixate a fleeting moment and emotional state.

I like your use of percussion sounds which is echoed in the other sounds, like the vibrato of the flutes.

Eike
PHOBoS

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks Very Happy

I just listened to your waveforms and enjoyed them very much.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 212
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

great topic.

I'm on a long road trip and have no equipment except my iPad. These photos and Stefan's death put me in a dark mood. I am on the emotional end of the composer spectrum, at least now. I move back and forth.

Maybe because I've been driving over 1000 miles so far, but this brings back memories of being in a death train on the way to a death camp in the freezing cold of northern Europe. These memories come from the collective unconsious I suspect. Sorry if I'm being morose.

DarkCloudsAndAJourneytoHell.mp3
 Description:
Dark Clouds And A Journey To Hell

by Howard Moscovitz

Copyright 2818 by Howard Moscovitz

listen freely

Download
 Filename:  DarkCloudsAndAJourneytoHell.mp3
 Filesize:  4.91 MB
 Downloaded:  1727 Time(s)

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
gabbagabi

Audio files: 23

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

hey mosc,
did u ever have visited one of those camps?
It was part of the soziailistic education in east-germany to visit at least one, so i have seen "Sachsenhausen".
They where showing you also a documentation film, i could only attend a quarter of it.
After that vist your composition would be most probably even more "sad".

may have a look at a "song" written inside one of those camps
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NDitxFQHcA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HdCCPqjGSEg

wow that left me emotionalised
no salut today
gabbagabi
klangumsetzer

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hello Howard,

I am sorry that you were in a dark mood but happy that you were able to transform your feelings into music. And despite the terrible association I enjoyed listening to your piece.

I have not looked at the pictures in this way, because I shot these in subtropical Vancouver in July, and so - for me - they are connected to this memory.

Eike

Last edited by klangumsetzer on Wed Apr 25, 2018 2:05 am; edited 1 time in total
klangumsetzer

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

g.gabba wrote:
(...) It was part of the soziailistic education in east-germany to visit at least one, so i have seen "Sachsenhausen".
They where showing you also a documentation film, i could only attend a quarter of it. (...)

It also was part of the education in West Germany and we often sang 'Die Moorsoldaten' in school (in West Berlin).

Sorry for evoking these awful memories.

Eike
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 212
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

g.gabba wrote:
hey mosc,
did u ever have visited one of those camps?

Never did. I did visit Yad Vashem in Jerusalem though.

When I was 5, there was a show on TV about the horrors, with very rough films. I remember my mother gathered me any my younger cousins, sat us in front of the screen and made us watch. Her sister, my aunt, pleaded with her not to make the kids watch this. My mom insisted telling us, "If we were in Europe then, that would have happened to us".

I guess this made such a strong impression that somehow I have always felt like a Holocaust survivor. I had nightmares in childhood of hiding from the Nazis.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

klangumsetzer wrote:

Very nice!

(finally found some time to listen :-) )

blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ah, the morning fog is very nice too - short fog tho :-)
blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mosc wrote:
These photos and Stefan's death put me in a dark mood.

A great track though :-)

PHOBoS

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks jan Very Happy

I wonder if this will inspire someone.
(or should I make a separate thread for it ?)

btw, that's a very nice photo alan!

Balcony 2018 - Pinweel - 01.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  212.96 KB
 Viewed:  672 Time(s)

Balcony 2018 - Pinweel - 01.jpg

klangumsetzer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Blue Hell wrote:
klangumsetzer wrote:

Very nice!

(finally found some time to listen Smile )

Thanks Jan! Very Happy

(To resolve the MOD bus issue I needed to send my Voyager for repair to Rudi Linhard in Germany, I hope it can be fixed. Confused )

Eike
klangumsetzer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Blue Hell wrote:
Ah, the morning fog is very nice too - short fog tho Smile

I agree!
Please, PHOBoS, do an extended fooooooog. Wink

Eike
klangumsetzer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

PHOBoS wrote:
Thanks jan Very Happy
I wonder if this will inspire someone.
(or should I make a separate thread for it ?)
(...)

I will work on it, just give me time, as there is so much to do now in the garden.

Eike
Page 1 of 2 [26 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: 1, 2 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Artists » Klangumsetzer
Jump to: