electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Stickney Synthyards
QuaZar
Page 1 of 1 [19 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
PHOBoS

Audio files: 705

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 6:43 pm    Post subject: QuaZar
Subject description: adjustable quantizer/custom keyboard/VC Sequencer/waveshaper
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

QuaZar is an adjustable quantizer that can also be used as a custom CV keyboard, voltage controlled sequencer and a waveshaper.

I've been wanting to make a quantizer that works with VCO's that aren't 1V/Oct for a while and this is what I came up with.
There where actually 2 things I wanted: the output voltages should be adjustable so you can create custom scales that work
with any VCO. (but it could also be useful to control other things like a VCLFO to create different tempo's). And I also
wanted to output these voltages at a fully adjustable treshold voltage level.

Normally a quantizer measures the incoming voltage and compares it with a list of voltages that correspond with certain notes.
It will then output the voltage for the note that the input voltage is closest to. This could be done by using a series of
window comparators and a priority encoder (like an ADC) followed by a circuit that creates a set of preset voltages (like a
DAC). Usually the comparators are configured in such a way that the first comparator takes care of the lowest voltages range,
the second one a slightly higher voltage range, etc,. But if you make those fully adjustable than every adjustement will
change the range of all the other ones. So instead of using a series of window comparators I used a single comparator for each
range, so each one can be set to a custom treshold level.

Example with 4 comparators:
the 1st triggers at 3.2V
the 2nd at 1.4V
the 3rd at 4.6V
the 4th at 2.1V

So if the input voltage is 4V than the 1st, 2nd and 4th comparator would be triggered. But because the first one is set to
the highest treshold level only that one should produce an (adjustable) output voltage. This is where it becomes a bit tricky.
With a series of window comparators you can just select the highest one that is triggered with a standard priority encoder.
So let's say the third one would be triggered and the fourth isn't than you know that the third one has the highest treshold
level. However as you can see in the example above the highest comparator that is triggered is the fourth one but the first
one has the highest treshold level. And because it is fully adjustable it can be completely different for every new setting.
So instead of a digital priority encoder that just looks which comparators are triggered and then picks the highest one I
needed a circuit that not only looks which ones are triggered but then also looks at the actual treshold level.

here is what I came up with

First there are of course the comparators with an adjustable treshold level [U10 + U11], however when they get triggered they
don't just put out a high voltage (digital 1) but instead turn on a CMOS switch [U12 + U13] that will output the actual
treshold voltage. All these voltages are than compared with each other which is what those sets of diodes are for. The
diodes that are all connected together on the cathode side are configured as an analog OR gate which will simply output the
highest input voltage. This is then compared [U14 + U15] with a single one of the voltages. So the 1st one is compared to the
highest voltage of the 2nd, 3rd, 4th...8th one, the 2nd one is compared to the highest voltage of the 1st, 3rd, 4th...8th
one, etc.

If you go back to the previous example with 4 comparators you would get the following situation:

the 1st input comparator is triggered and outputs 3.2V
the 2nd input comparator is triggered and outputs 1.4V
the 3rd input comparator is NOT triggered so doesn't output any voltage (becomes 0V because of a pulldown resistor)
the 4th input comparator is triggered and outputs 2.1V

than they are all compared to eachother:

3.2V gets compared with 2.1V (highest value of 1.4V, 0V and 2.1V), it is higher so that comparator gets triggered.
1.4V gets compared with 3.2V (highest value of 3.2V, 0V and 2.1V), it is lower so that comparator doesn't get triggered.
0V gets compared with 3.2V (highest value of 3.2V, 1,4V and 2.1V), it is lower so that comparator doesn't get triggered.
2.1V gets compared with 3.2V (highest value of 3.2V, 1.4V and 0V), it is lower so that comparator doesn't get triggered.

So only one of the comparators will get triggered and it is the one that corresponds with the highest treshold level. The
output is than turned into an (adjustable) voltage with a potentiometer. In the ciruit I configured the comparators in such a
way that if they get triggered the ouput voltage is low (digital 0), this then gets inverted by a schmitt trigger inverter
[U16b..U16e + U17b..U17e] that is powered by a seperate 10V voltage. This way the output voltage is more stable then when you
use the 12V rail supply and the schmitt triggers provide a nice clean transition. I also added a trigger output which gives a
short pulse whenever a different comparator is triggered and the output voltage changes.

So far so good but there is still one problem. What if the input voltage level is out of the range of all the input
comparators ? (in the example that would be any voltage < 1.4V). None of the input comparators would get triggered which
means that all the comparators of the priority encoder would get 0V (provided by the 100K pulldown resistors) on both inputs.
And a comparator that has the same voltage on both inputs is generally not a very happy comparator. To solve this problem
there are some more parts added to the circuit. First of all the diodes connected to all the outputs of the input comparators
(to be clear not the diodes connected to the CMOS switches). These are all connected to each other make up an OR gate together
with the 100K pulldown resistor. So if at least one of the comparators is triggered it will output a high voltage and more
importantly if none of them are triggered it will output a low voltage. This is then inverted [U16f] and also added to all
the comparators, with the result that they all get a 10V voltage on the reference input instead of 0V turning them into happy
comparators. I also added a potentiometer to the output of the inverter to be able to set an output level for this as well.
So it actually can have 9 different levels.

So those are the basics of the QuaZar but the actual circuit has a bit more. I thought it would be nice to not only have the
treshold levels of the input comparators to be adjustable but make them voltage controlled as well. And for even more
fun I also used attenuverters on all the input [U1b...U8b]. The 10K/12K voltage dividers provide a +5.5V reference
voltage when nothing is connected. And because of the attenuverters this can be adjusted between -5.5V...+5.5V. But
there was another problem; I want to use -5V..+5V input levels but the CMOS switches can't deal with a negative voltage,
at least not when powered from GND and +12V. So the levels get shifted to a positive voltage [U1a...U8a] and there are diodes
to make sure the voltage can't be negative if the input voltage would be too low. Because there are 2 diodes between the
outputs of the switches and the inputs of the comparators there is a voltage drop, to counteract this I made the output range
2V..9V. The input sections also use the 10V supply for stability. The same circuit is also used for the actual input voltage.
The 100 ohm resistors between the input sections and the comparators provide a bit of hysteresis. When a comparator is
triggered and the CMOS switch is closed it will form a voltage divider with all the 100K pulldown resistors. This will cause
the treshold level to drop just a tiny bit to prevent any unwanted oscillations or slow transistions.

Because of the schmitt trigger inverters used for the ouput voltages the max. output voltage would be 0..10V and I wanted a
-5V...+5V range here too so it is adjusted with U18b + U18c. The 1K resistors in series with the 10K pots are there to
counteract the voltage drop over the diodes, else there would be a section of the pot that doesn't have any effect.

But wait! there is more! Something else I've also been wanting to make is a custom CV keyboard. So a keyboard for which each
key provides an adjustable output voltage. This was easy to add to the circuit and makes tuning a whole lot easier. The
ciruit for the keyboard uses a priority encoder [U20] because more than one output high at the same time would result in
multiple comparators triggering. And as a bonus it also has a Gate output. The binary output from the priority encoder is
converted to the 8 key outputs by a mux [CD4051]. Because the input of the mux is connected to +12V these outputs will be
either +12V or no voltage. They are connected in parallel with the outputs of the CMOS switches but because the outputs are
+12V they will always be higher than the treshold levels. The gate output of the keyboard is used to turn all the comparators
off when no button is pressed. The diodes attached to the CMOS switches isolate the key outputs from the comparators. Because
if a comparator is triggered and the CMOS switch is closed then the keyboard output voltage would pull up the treshold
voltage. The result is that the comparator output would become low and the CMOS switch opens. But then it would trigger again
causing the CMOS switch to close, etc. or in other words it would oscillate. Because of the mux used for the keyboard the
outputs aren't 0V but almost floating, so no diodes where needed in series with the key outputs. I added an extra buffered
Gate output which can be useful when using QuaZar as a custom keyboard, when using it as a quantizer it is probably not very
useful because it is always high unless the input voltage goes below the treshold levels.

Maybe you noticed that the output section, (potentiometers/diodes/opamps) is the same as used for a simple sequencer. If you
would connect it to a counter it is basically a baby 10. So you can use the QuaZar as a sequencer as well but instead of a
CLK it uses a voltage where each step is triggered at a different, fully adjustable, voltage controlled, treshold level. This
input voltage can of course also be at an audio frequency, so if you would take an output of a VCO (square wouldnt really
work of course) you can transform it into a stepped waveshape. And again this is fully adjustable and voltage controlled. You
can even use audio frequencies for the treshold levels for even more fun.

It's a lot of text and a big circuit (although most of it is just the same circuit repeated 8 times) but I hope I was able to
explain how it works. If you have any questions, suggestions or know an easier way to achieve the same result (without
resorting to programmable devices) I am all ears albino

note: I tested it for 4 channels and that works.

QuaZar.gif
 Description:
QuaZar
 Filesize:  228.36 KB
 Viewed:  1020 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

QuaZar.gif

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Shocked Wild!

Nice idea Cool

robsol
Stream Operator

Audio files: 495

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Love it! If I were into modulars, this is the kind of thing I would go for. Cool
dougseidel

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

That is fantastic - i've been daydreaming about just such a thing. I'm not sure how you do all the stuff you do but it's totally cool - thanks.
PHOBoS

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I've started building QuaZar a couple of weeks ago. Most of the circuit is soldered up but I was out of diodes so
couldn't continue. Shipping those took a bit longer then usual and I had almost given up on them but but they
finally arrived. To make the diode matrix I am first creating diode arrays.

step 1: bend the diodes at an angle on one side using one of those bending tools.
step 2: stuff the diodes into a piece of perf and wrap the legs around to hold them in place. Also add a piece
of copper wire to connect them together.
step 3: solder the diodes to the wire.
step 4: remove the diode array from the perf board by cutting of the legs that have been bend over the edge
and folding the other legs back.
step 5: cut the exces legs away.

QuaZar - diodematrix - 01.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  189.82 KB
 Viewed:  717 Time(s)

QuaZar - diodematrix - 01.jpg

QuaZar - diodematrix - 02.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  241.49 KB
 Viewed:  685 Time(s)

QuaZar - diodematrix - 02.jpg

QuaZar - diodematrix - 03.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  247.94 KB
 Viewed:  702 Time(s)

QuaZar - diodematrix - 03.jpg

QuaZar - diodematrix - 04.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  195.29 KB
 Viewed:  720 Time(s)

QuaZar - diodematrix - 04.jpg

QuaZar - diodematrix - 05.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  217.07 KB
 Viewed:  697 Time(s)

QuaZar - diodematrix - 05.jpg

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
PHOBoS

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This is what the finished diode matrix looks like which will be mounted onto a larger PCB.

QuaZar - diodematrix - 06.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  245.62 KB
 Viewed:  710 Time(s)

QuaZar - diodematrix - 06.jpg

gabbagabi

Audio files: 23

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

wow,
how beautyfull!

Everytime i see your work i think may i should go back to perfboard Smile
we wil see Smile
PHOBoS

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

thanks Very Happy

Here's a photo of the rest of the circuit I've soldered so far. I am using the large PCBs I got from Cfish for christmas last year (thanks!).
I am currently waiting for push buttons which I ordered around the same time as the diodes and I really start to doubt they'll arrive.
Actually I also need some toggle switches and sockets so I am probably not going to finish it any time soon.

QuaZar - 01.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  316.17 KB
 Viewed:  696 Time(s)

QuaZar - 01.jpg

PHOBoS

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It's not perfect but I finally finished the frontpanel Very Happy (after having to buy a new printer). Now I can check if the buttons fit.
I mean, they fit but the nuts are so close together that you can't really turn them. I do have some similar switches though
with round nuts, so those might fit better.

QuaZar - 02.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  247.67 KB
 Viewed:  644 Time(s)

QuaZar - 02.jpg

PHOBoS

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I received the dupont cables which I used to connect everything together, so I was able to finish it over the weekend Very Happy
Besides a couple minor fixes it pretty much worked instantly, or at least I think it does. The trigger output seems to
behave a bit nervous at times but I don't think there is anything wrong with it.

I did make a couple of changes to the circuit compared to the original schematic.
- There are some extra diodes added to the rectifying circuits, which I initially thought were not needed but when
testing it for something else I noticed oscillations which dissapeared when I added them.
- I added a switch to select the 0 step as well just like the other 8 (which are selected with the priority keyboard).
Note that it doesn't produce a gate or trigger signal.
- I added a voltage to the CTRL input when nothing is plugged in (normalized) for manual control.
- I used red/green LEDs and some logic to drive them. The LEDs I used are the ones with 2 pins that have a different
color depending on the polarity. The circuit I designed for drivng them turns them green when the treshold level is
reached and red when it is the highest set treshold level and thus the currently selected step. So when the CTRL
voltage rises more green LEDs turn on and only 1 red LED at a time. If you set the treshol levels for the steps from
low to high (A lowest, H highest) it actually is a nice voltage monitor.

I also have plans to make some extensions. One module will have a binary counter with an R2R which can be used
to turn it into a standard CLK triggered sequencer. The other module will have seperate gate outputs for all the steps
and 2 mixed trigger outputs that can be selected with switches. This could create some very interesting patterns.
I already added a connector for this on one of the the PCBs with all the signals I'd need.

I still need to get some knobs which would be very useful to see at what voltage the treshold levels are actually set.
Although when modulating them it gets pretty difficult to see very quickly.

Then there is one more thing. I am planning on making a seperate keyboard for it, maybe using arcade buttons, this
is what the 9-pin connector on the right side is for. However what I didn't think about is that although it works fine to
select a certain step, as soon as you release the button it will instantly return to whatever step is selected by the control
voltage/treshold level. This will of course also change the pitch. An easy solution for this is to make a keyboard with the
electronic equivalent of radio switches. So it will hold whatever key is pushed last. I will have to add a seperate gate
output which will only be high as long as a button is pressed. I could actually put a programmable sequencer in there,..

QuaZar v1.2.gif
 Description:
 Filesize:  241.16 KB
 Viewed:  597 Time(s)

QuaZar v1.2.gif

QuaZar - LED drivers.gif
 Description:
 Filesize:  33.13 KB
 Viewed:  560 Time(s)

QuaZar - LED drivers.gif

QuaZar - 03.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  217.02 KB
 Viewed:  500 Time(s)

QuaZar - 03.jpg

QuaZar - 04.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  272.38 KB
 Viewed:  497 Time(s)

QuaZar - 04.jpg

QuaZar - 05.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  248.9 KB
 Viewed:  446 Time(s)

QuaZar - 05.jpg

AlanP

Audio files: 41

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I still really don't understand what is going on, but I'm glad it works for you Smile
PHOBoS

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks alan Very Happy

Maybe you understand what it does if I tell you it can be used as a step-sequencer but instead of a clock to step through the steps
it uses a voltage to determine which step is active. Each step uses a comparator and the treshold level is adjustable and voltage controlled.
Because of this the order of the steps and the timing between them can be completely changed. I originally intended it to be used as
a quantizer as it can change any input voltage (or actually a voltage range) to a different output voltage.

special thanks to Dave who supplied me with some great music (Orchard/Epicyclus) for wiring and soldering!

Skrog Productions

Audio files: 155

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ah ) exellent soldering music Very Happy Very Happy

Nice build Phobos and nice panel too Smile
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

PHOBoS wrote:
[...]but instead of a clock to step through the steps
it uses a voltage to determine which step is active.

Or put differently, a lookup table .. and in your case with 'address warping'.

[edit] or .. hmm .. the warping could be a LUT too Shocked

robsol
Stream Operator

Audio files: 495

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Looks fantastic! Cool afro
AlanP

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

PHOBoS wrote:
Maybe you understand what it does if I tell you

Ohhh! Now I get it!

What if two stages are set to the same threshold?
PHOBoS

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

thanks guys! Very Happy

AlanP wrote:
What if two stages are set to the same threshold?

Setting two or more stages at the same treshold causes a tear in the fabric of space so I try to avoid that Wink

honestly, with some careful tuning I can get leds to light up both red and green at the same time which means it is
probably oscillating. If you listen to the CV output it sounds a bit like white noise but at a pretty low level and the frequency
is probably very high, I'll have to check it on my scope sometime. If I try it with more channels the noise is more profound.
I also did a quick test earlier, routing the CV output back to the control input which seems to cause some weird oscillations as well.

PHOBoS

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I made a recording using QuaZar: QruiZing Cool

The sequencing of the mellow notes at the beginning and throughout the track is generated by it
using 2 triangle LFOs (at different speeds) as the CTRL voltage. The treshold level of one of the steps
was controlled by a gate sequencer (wolfram tones) for some rhythmic notes.

AlanP

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm kinda tempted to try and make a nice layout for this. The only sticking point is the sheer amount of diodes.

Gonna have to think about it.
Page 1 of 1 [19 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Stickney Synthyards
Jump to: