electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » NM Classic (NM1 or G1)
Backward playing sequencer tips
Page 1 of 1 [10 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
micro

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 7:17 am    Post subject: Backward playing sequencer tips Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi
Can somebody tell me or show me example how to make sequencer template for backward loop-ing in nord modular editor, is it possible Question Thanks
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Kees van der Maarel once made an NM Classic sequencer patch that ran backwards.

Well it was not really going backwards but instead it went forwards very dast for 15 steps and then it would stop - giving the illusion of running backwards.

Unfortuanately I can't find the patch in my personal archive.

Jan.
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 212
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Micro, I've been talking about this limitation with the NM sequencers for several years. Kees's patch was very clever, but it wasn't a practical solution. I gave away my NM when I got my first G2 so I don't happen to have it on hand. I'm sure someone will post it for you.

The G2 has a "voltage controlled" sequencer that selects the stage based on the level of a control input. This is a big step forward (pun intended), but not all that great, IMHO. While these limitations are very frustrating, I'm even more frustrated that very few NM musicians are concerned about it. Laughing

At any rate, if you are interested in bi-directional sequencers, consider upgrading to the G2 (then we can share our frustrations) or getting some program to run on the computer to generate MIDI.

The G2 has D/A and A/D modules. If there was an equivalent to a 74193 chip (binary up/down counter with asynchronous preset) then we could build any sequencer we want. Skip and jump are just as important as fwd/rev in my opinion.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
micro

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
The G2 has a "voltage controlled" sequencer that selects the stage based on the level of a control input. This is a big step forward (pun intended), but not all that great, imho

You mean, let's say Rolling Eyes I can put positive signal to inverter and inverter output to clock from sequencer and than sequencer goes backward. Sorry for that comment if it is stupid, but I'm not so good programmer and I need still allot of learning.

Quote:
At any rate, if you are interested in bi-directional sequencers, consider upgrading to the G2 (then we can share our frustrations) or getting some program to run on the computer to generate MIDI.

I will take G2 for some time, but still this sequencer thing stinks. Clavia really need something to do with it, if it's possible, I think it is Wink

Quote:
Micro, I've been talking about this limitation with the NM sequencers for several years

I remember somewhere in forum you mentioned this limitation before. Now I see how is this frustrating Mad

Thanks anyway
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

micro wrote:

You mean, let's say :roll: I can put positive signal to inverter and inverter output to clock from sequencer and than sequencer goes backward. Sorry for that comment if it is stupid, but I'm not so good programmer and I need still allot of learning.

No, that particular G2 sequencer does not have a clock input. You control it with a control voltage, when that control voltage is a sawtooth signal the sequencer will work as anormal sequence, but when you invert the saw tooth signal the sequencer will run backwards.

You could experiment with this using the G2 demo software.

Jan.
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 212
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

micro wrote:
You mean, let's say Rolling Eyes I can put positive signal to inverter and inverter output to clock from sequencer and than sequencer goes backward. Sorry for that comment if it is stupid, but I'm not so good programmer and I need still allot of learning.

Not exactly. On the G2 there is a module called a Control Sequencer. It doesn't have a clock input, but a control input. The stage of the sequencer is set by the instantaneous value of the control input. If you put in a triangle wave from a LFO into the control input then the control sequencer will go backwards and forwards as it follows the value of the triangle wave. If you plug in a sawtooth wave from and LFO, the control sequence will go in only one direction. If you invert the sawtooth wave, the sequencer will go in the opposite direction.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Kees

G2 patch files: 3

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
Kees van der Maarel once made an NM Classic sequencer patch that ran backwards.

Unfortuanately I can't find the patch in my personal archive.

But I can.... Here it is.

Greetings,

Kees.

SeqRunsBackward.pch
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  SeqRunsBackward.pch
 Filesize:  1.34 KB
 Downloaded:  300 Time(s)

micro

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
It doesn't have a clock input, but a control input. The stage of the sequencer is set by the instantaneous value of the control input. If you put in a triangle wave from a LFO into the control input then the control sequencer will go backwards and forwards as it follows the value of the triangle wave....

I see,something similiar is also in this Kees seq. patch.Thanks mosc and Blue Hell

Quote:
But I can.... Here it is.

Thank you very much Kees Very Happy
Kassen
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Kees, Mosc, Micro (and others) in this patch, I´d put the sequencer called "reverse/normal" to 16 beats, turn off the last step of the top row, turn on the last step of the bottom one and have that bottom one trigger a S&H that´s over the "NoteSeqB1". This will save you all glitches there at the expense of a very light amount of time.

If you asign button 1 to 14 (inclusive) on the top row of the "reverse/normal" one to a morph group that should maintain the same timing regardless of the direction and switching would then not cost any cpu time (but of course it would cost a group).

Skip and jump and so on can be done too using comparable trickery.

I attached one possible sollution; this one uses knob 3 to determine how many steps it takes at one time. This is untested since my internet computer isn´t one of my music ones but I´m confident it´ll work. Scream if I made a oops. I took the liberty of including my S&H trick while I was at it.

Obviously the constant called "step amount" could be replaced by some -possibly quanitsed- CV construction to automate the process, needless to say this could involve a feedback loop on the notes from "NoteSeqB1", etc, etc, etc.

I took the liberty of including my own name next to Kees´s, as far as I´m concerned this patch can be used wherever his can be.

I think it´s very worthwhile to try solving things within the system you are working with before trying to have the purchase of new instruments fix your problems, this is educational and fun and of cource you get solutions tailor made for your individual needs.

seqrunsaway.pch
 Description:
Some additions to Kees´s sequencer patch.

Download
 Filename:  seqrunsaway.pch
 Filesize:  1.7 KB
 Downloaded:  275 Time(s)

Kassen
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Note; if strapped for cpu time you could take out my S&H again, in that case the "reverse/normal" sequencer can go too and the central clock can go straight to the logic gate instead.
Page 1 of 1 [10 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » NM Classic (NM1 or G1)
Jump to: