electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Lunettas - circuits inspired by Stanley Lunetta
4051 in reverse
Page 1 of 1 [6 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
CHRISKELLY

Audio files: 3

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 6:12 am    Post subject: 4051 in reverse Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Picked up some 4051 chips to use, and thought that i could send 1 of 10 inputs in to get a binary out. The plan was to use a 4017 to cycle through 1 to 10, so that the binary outs could switch on/off three tones to create a little melody.

Didnt seem to work so i'm guessing that it works by binary input with 1 to 10 outputs Crying or Very sad

Is this true or can it be used either way?
If not, is there another chip that will do this for me?

Chris
Steveg

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi Chris,

The 4051 is a bi-directional analog switcher. So it should work like you want although it is 8:1 not 10:1. Not sure how you would drive the addresses from a 4017. I suspect that isn't working like you might have thought. You need 3 digital inputs for the a, b & c address selectors. You can use three oscillators or three outputs of a counter or a shift register.

Steve
PHOBoS

Audio files: 705

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

If I understand correctly what you are trying to achive you might be looking for a priority encoder like the CD4532.
However using a 4017 + 4532 to get a binary count seems a bit silly as you can just use an binary counter instead.
But with the 2 chips you can easily mix up the order so maybe that's what you want.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
CHRISKELLY

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks guys

Sorry Steve i meant 8 inputs not 10!

What i was hoping for was to cycle 3 notes in binary:
A, B and C

First step - C (0 0 1)
2nd - B (0 1 0)
3rd - B + C (0 1 1)
4th - A (1 0 0)
5th - A + C (1 0 1)
etc
If that makes sense?
PHOBoS

Audio files: 705

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

how are the notes produced ? as you could use any binary counter for that sequence (CD4040, CD4060, CD4029, CD4520 and there are more).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
CHRISKELLY

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ahh yes of course a 4040 would work! Thanks for the suggestions Very Happy

I've got an APC to create a tone, then made the 3rd and 5th of that same tone produced using 4046 PLL's. They feed into the inputs of a 4066 and i was thinking of ways fo switch them on and off in a more interesting way.
Page 1 of 1 [6 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Lunettas - circuits inspired by Stanley Lunetta
Jump to: