electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nord Modular G2 Discussion
File Save Error - File Too Large
Page 1 of 1 [9 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
TEMAS

G2 patch files: 6

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:26 am    Post subject: File Save Error - File Too Large Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Has anyone had this before? I haven't overloaded the G2, but I can't save my performance because its too big.

Screen Shot 2018-06-26 at 17.20.45.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  215.16 KB
 Viewed:  305 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

Screen Shot 2018-06-26 at 17.20.45.png

Electromagnetic Wave

G2 patch files: 38

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi TEMAS!

I don't have the solution for this but I can try to fix it with you. By 'overloaded the G2' do you mean > max modules available in a patch OR the cycle/memory available from DSP ? You tried to save the .prf in G2 or computer ? Do you have enough free memory in G2 ?

Can you transpose the performance mode to patch mode (shift+perf mode from G2 front panel) and save each patch/slot one by one ? Like that you can isolate the wrong patch and dig on it.

Smile
TEMAS

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi and thanks for that.

I have saved each patch one by one and can load them all up again one by one. The performance works as it should but I can not save it as a performance either to disk or to the G2 Engine.

It seems to be that the maximum file size allowed to be saved is 66kb. It also appears that different modules take up more space than others. The control sequencer seems to be bad.

Tomorrow I will upload a performance made up entirely of control sequencers that is 66kb in size. There is still plenty of space available to add more modules but you will find that by adding just one more control sequencer you then won’t be able to save it as a performance. I have two expanded G2 engines and the same thing happens for both.

blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Interesting .. heh .. I was sure to find a larger one than 66k in the patch archive .. the largest one posted here however is 63k .. so 66k is huuge!
TEMAS

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yeah I am making some very large sequencer devices, using a lot of control sequencers.

I just tested my 66kb performance again this morning and it causes 'Major Error' so I won't upload it now. But I'm certain 66kb is the limit. Not sure why there needs to be a limit to file size if the synth engine can cope with bigger files.

I've uploaded a screenshot of what happens when I try to save to internal synth memory slot. The memory is nowhere near full, but it says it is.

Its not a huge deal, I just have to load a performance with 3 slots, and then load the fourth slot manually.

Screen Shot 2018-06-28 at 08.57.05.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  221.26 KB
 Viewed:  293 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

Screen Shot 2018-06-28 at 08.57.05.png

TEMAS

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

But it has also made me wonder if there are other ways to reduce files size. Cable length for example? I don't know, but if file size is not related to patch load, it would be interesting to know what exactly does have the most impact?
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

All the settings for the controls eat up space ... there is not much you can do to change this as IIRC everthing in the patch file is fixed size.

Some info about the patch format to be found @ :: http://bluehell.electro-music.com/iaf/html/nm-open/nm-open-g2info.htm

Electromagnetic Wave

G2 patch files: 38

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Probably it is possible to save the performance (over 66kb) with sysex too. Do you wrote stuff in the textpad? It could increase the file size.

Is the file size is the same with OS 1.40 vs 1.62 ? I use v1.40 here. Not sure about that but I remember in the past the code in a .pch2 was different from now (the last OS). If someone can confirm that or not...
ian-s

Audio files: 42
G2 patch files: 626

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

If I recall correctly, some of the offset structures are 16bit so it was probably easiest to enforce a 2^16 file size limit. I wonder if putting the biggest pch2 in the last slot would help?
I don’t know how you are organising your sequencers but they contain 8 variations that can be switched via internal midi from other slots. You might be able to refactor things so that fewer chained sequencers are required.
Page 1 of 1 [9 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nord Modular G2 Discussion
Jump to: