electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Stickney Synthyards
PHOMETHEUS
Page 1 of 1 [12 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
PHOBoS

Audio files: 705

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:38 pm    Post subject: PHOMETHEUS
Subject description: putting some left-over circuits to use
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Over the years I built a lot of circuits that I never put in an enclosure or behind a panel. So I decided to combine a bunch
of those into a 'synth' which I named PHOMETHEUS. It's all going to be housed in one of those metal suitcases for easy
storage and it also saves me the trouble of building a case myself. Because it is going to incorporate a lot of circuits and
I don't have it fully planned out I will built it in parts.

I finished the first section which contains some digital/lunetta circuits. I will go into more depth and post some schematics
later but here's what's in it so far:
1 Stupid (patchable) pattern generator
2 gated oscillators
1 4060 oscillator/divider
1 4046SPACE+
3 AXN gates
2 3-phase oscillators
2 4015 based CMOS waveshapers
1 miniARP (with oscillator)
1 4017/4051 melody generator

and here are some gut pics

Phometheus - 01.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  314.75 KB
 Viewed:  754 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

Phometheus - 01.jpg

Phometheus - 02.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  331.79 KB
 Viewed:  776 Time(s)

Phometheus - 02.jpg

Phometheus - 03.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  403.63 KB
 Viewed:  787 Time(s)

Phometheus - 03.jpg

Phometheus - 04.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  406.8 KB
 Viewed:  778 Time(s)

Phometheus - 04.jpg

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
PHOBoS

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Here are some more photos and an excerpt of the first test which also used my RGB shroom drum and a bit of reverb.
Now I want to incorporate some drums as well but I don't know yet if I will built some simple circuits or use a drum
toy as I have a couple of those still waiting to be used. I also took a photo of the patch after the test. (some leads
are disconnected to shut it up at the end).

Phometheus - 05.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  334.09 KB
 Viewed:  779 Time(s)

Phometheus - 05.jpg

Phometheus - 06.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  387.56 KB
 Viewed:  781 Time(s)

Phometheus - 06.jpg

Phometheus - 07.jpg
 Description:
PHOMETHEUS test patch
 Filesize:  393.31 KB
 Viewed:  762 Time(s)

Phometheus - 07.jpg

PHOBoS - PHOMETHEUS test 1 (excerpt).mp3
 Description:
PHOBoS - PHOMETHEUS test 1 (excerpt)

Download
 Filename:  PHOBoS - PHOMETHEUS test 1 (excerpt).mp3
 Filesize:  26.13 MB
 Downloaded:  1202 Time(s)

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
RingMad

Audio files: 4

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

That sounds pretty cool! The repetitive bassline/drumline reminds me of Suicide, and the rest is like replacing Alan Vega's vocals with a crazy binary-bleep robot freaking out on Phobonetics and shooting lasers. Or something.

What a mess of patch wires! Sometimes I try to think of a better way for patching, one that doesn't obscure the LEDs and make it hard to manipulate pots and switches and require untangling to make changes. But there just isn't any other way, really.

Speaking of wires, it is most un-messy inside the box. I'm always amazed how your stuff seems so clean and orderly. I've gotten better, but I always seem to get into situations that require having wires cross and fly all over the place.

Thanks for the guts photos... they give me some clues on how to better organize things. I think the way I layout/solder my circuits has to change in order to be able to use ribbon cables... it's an extra step and requires more room... one has to bring the wires to a header.

Those rainbow ribbons you use... do they already have the female headers on one end, or do you solder those on yourself?

.:James:.
PHOBoS

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

RingMad wrote:
That sounds pretty cool! The repetitive bassline/drumline reminds me of Suicide, and the rest is like replacing Alan Vega's vocals with a crazy binary-bleep robot freaking out on Phobonetics and shooting lasers. Or something.

thanks Laughing
The bassline is done with the miniARP. Although the number of notes it produces is limited (and I didn't actually use all of them)
it is nice to have something that is always in tune.

Quote:
What a mess of patch wires! Sometimes I try to think of a better way for patching, one that doesn't obscure the LEDs and make it hard to manipulate pots and switches and require untangling to make changes. But there just isn't any other way, really.

I did try to put all the controls at the bottom as much as possible but once you start patching a tangled mess is pretty
much unavoidable. The only thing you can do is indeed repatch and untangle it a bit once you have it patched up.

Quote:
Those rainbow ribbons you use... do they already have the female headers on one end, or do you solder those on yourself?

Nope, it just comes from a big roll I got very cheap many moons ago. It has no female headers btw. I did think about using
connectors and add an extra PCB with headers so I could unplug the whole panel but besides not having connectors for it that
seemed like an unnecessary extra step. I do add male pin headers on the PCBs to make soldering a bit easier though. I actually
don't really like to solder the ribboncable but it has a nice amount of colors and does make the end result a bit cleaner.
this is also a nice example of a pretty clean wiring job.

gabbagabi

Audio files: 23

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

very nice,
sounds cool looks cool.
wackelpeter

Audio files: 10

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Prometheus brought fire to mankind... Phometheus brought headache to mankind... Very Happy

Nope, just joking... As usual very impressive and stunning work Phobos!
Congrats!

PHOBoS

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Laughing Thanks guys!

I added a bipolar supply. Most circuits will be single supply but I do want to add a mixer and it could come in useful
for some other circuits I might want to add too. Or at least I will not have the problem that I can't add something because
it only has a single power supply. The transformer is rated at 24VA so it should be enough to power everything.

The mains section will be insulated when everything is done. The suitcase itself is made of wood (hardboard) with
some thin aluminium on the outside so in that regard it is actually pretty safe.

Phometheus - 08.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  330.19 KB
 Viewed:  739 Time(s)

Phometheus - 08.jpg

stolenfat

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

that recording is amazing. well played!

Are most of the upper end (higher) notes coming from the space+ circuit?

PHOBoS

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks Very Happy
and yes, that's mostly coming from the 4046Space+, at least the wild stuff.

PHOBoS

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Some more circuits have been added.

I wanted to have some controls so I added a couple of switches. I added some comparators to these as I sometimes
run into problems if I want to use a 5V signal (from my modular synths) to control my lunetta's that mostly run on 12V.
I also used some diodes to protect agains negative and over voltage.

The little drummer circuit was kept simple, I had been thinking about incorporating some kind of priority encoder as
only one drum sound can sound at the same time but eventually discarded that idea. As it turns out it looks like it
already has it built in. I had a bit of trouble to get a decent output but eventually managed to get something useful.

The PT2399 delay was something I made years ago as a test circuit and I added some in/output buffers to it.

Comparator AND gates 2.gif
 Description:
 Filesize:  49.27 KB
 Viewed:  535 Time(s)

Comparator AND gates 2.gif

little drummer.gif
 Description:
 Filesize:  51.78 KB
 Viewed:  555 Time(s)

little drummer.gif

PT2399 test delay.gif
 Description:
 Filesize:  73.33 KB
 Viewed:  554 Time(s)

PT2399 test delay.gif

Phometheus - 09.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  385.95 KB
 Viewed:  495 Time(s)

Phometheus - 09.jpg

Phometheus - 10.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  331.43 KB
 Viewed:  473 Time(s)

Phometheus - 10.jpg

PHOBoS

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2019 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I started on the mixer section which will make it al lot more usable.
I also tweaked the little drummer a bit to boost the output signal.

Phometheus - 11.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  308.77 KB
 Viewed:  318 Time(s)

Phometheus - 11.jpg

PHOBoS

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Finished the mixer. I didn't have enough knobs of the same color so for now it has an assortment of colors, which is also nice colors
The circuit is based on the mixer I used in the asylum but without the input buffers.

Next I want to add some trigger inputs for the little drummer. It can only play one drum sound at a time and because of this it can't play
a new drum sound untill all the other inputs are low, eventhough the sound is long gone.

There also 2 oscillators in there that have a tendency to sync up. Not sure why it happens but it would be nice to get them isolated.
I do recall JovianPyx mentioning LEDs in the powerline for a PAIA module that had a similar problem, so maybe I give that a go.
Although I think they only run on 3V to begin with so the voltage drop would probably be to much. Maybe some resistors will
already do the trick. They' re actyally RGB LED drivers btw.

Phometheus - 12.jpg
 Description:
5-channel mixer section
 Filesize:  312.55 KB
 Viewed:  267 Time(s)

Phometheus - 12.jpg

Phometheus - 13.jpg
 Description:
PHOMETHEUS so far
 Filesize:  324.45 KB
 Viewed:  284 Time(s)

Phometheus - 13.jpg

Page 1 of 1 [12 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Stickney Synthyards
Jump to: