electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Developers' Corner
gate/cv sequencer using only one potentiometer
Page 1 of 1 [19 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
gabbagabi

Audio files: 23

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:27 am    Post subject: gate/cv sequencer using only one potentiometer
Subject description: and some (cheap) pushbuttons
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i have many of those little pushbottons left,
so i was thinking about how to use them in a sequenzer,
attached an idea for a gate sequenzer,

one had to push two buttons at a time to programm it, set or reset button and the desired step button

on the gateout one could attach a 4017 with pots to have CV, whitch has the atvantage that the CV would stay until the next gate impulse comes

the caps will decharge over the time but it will take a long time until they go under 0,6V (one could use smaller caps to add somekind of randomness when the seq starts to forget Smile

cu, gabi

s-e-q.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  91.8 KB
 Viewed:  600 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

s-e-q.png

Last edited by gabbagabi on Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:01 am; edited 2 times in total
Grumble

Audio files: 30

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

or you might add a cd40175 quad flip-flop and it will never forget Laughing
elektrouwe

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

get rid of the TL071 and use a noninverting buffer (spare gate, or 2 inverting in series) instead. With a feed forward resistor of 100k between in and out of the buffer the caps (100nF then) will "autorefresh" forever.

I have a similar touch sequencer: Instead of switches there is a SET and a RESET touch input. each connected via diode to the storage cap.
SET diode direction is cathode to cap, RESET diode is connected anode to cap. And there is TOUCH electrode connected to a square wave oscillator. When I touch this electrode with my left hand and either a SET or RESET einput with the right hand, I can program the sequencer.
cap values must be small (nF range) because skin resistance is high. A more reliable solution is to use a "stylus" conneted to the square wave osc. and touch the SET/RESET inputs with it. Then100nF caps are ok.
PHOBoS

Audio files: 705

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'd go with some flip/flops too. Besides being more reliable you can toggle between set/reset with a single button.
The comparator on the output is not a bad idea in this case.

elektrouwe wrote:
With a feed forward resistor of 100k between in and out of the buffer the caps (100nF then) will "autorefresh" forever.

hmm so that would be from the gate output back to the common (Y) of the mux ? at least that's how I think it could work Very Happy.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hmm .. I like that idea - sequences that forget :-)
PHOBoS

Audio files: 705

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

that sounds a bit sad Sad

hmm a neuron sequencer might be nice, with false memories.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
elektrouwe

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

PHOBoS wrote:
I'd go with some flip/flops too.

well, "some" means 16; not a small #

PHOBoS wrote:
hmm so that would be from the gate output back to the common (Y) of the mux ? .

yes
elektrouwe

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Blue Hell wrote:
Hmm .. I like that idea - sequences that forget Smile

you don't play live in front of a dancing crowd, don't you ? Wink
blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

erm Evil or Very Mad I like the idea of sequencers that forget Rolling Eyes
gabbagabi

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i liked the alzheimer-idea also ,-) was thinking about different cap values

jaja flipp-flopps, but i can only source them next year same time

what a great idea with the feed-bag, would than this also work somehow?

cv feedbag seq.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  51.95 KB
 Viewed:  502 Time(s)

cv feedbag seq.png

Grumble

Audio files: 30

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yes, a little...
Remove R12, there is no need for that resistor and adds just a parallel impedance to the capacitors.

elektrouwe

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

g.gabba wrote:

what a great idea with the feed-bag, would than this also work somehow?

no, won't work. you need positive feedback (noninverting Schmitt-Trigger)
IGR

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Does anyone know the sequencer of the Leploop V1? I think switched capacitance analog shift register is used there. This term was until today a bit mysterious to me. Thanks friends!
elektrouwe

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

IGR wrote:
...Leploop V1? I think switched capacitance analog shift register is used there. ..

didn't know this sequencer yet. google found " the LEPLOOP has a 16-step analog recorder, much like an analog delay.Over time, as the analog sequencer cycles through its pattern, the signal will degrade and the sound will hange. This is because the capacitor can only store the signal for a limited amount of time"

for a step sequencer storing only 0V and VDD, refreshing the memory is easy with a noninverting Schmitt-Trigger as described above. For real (quantized) analog storage you would need an ADC that reads
the actual (already slightly drifted) analog voltage and refreshes the original voltage with a DAC. I've sketched a 3bit solution with 8 comparators and a 8/3 decoder as ADC and a 4051 with linear R string as DAC.
But in microcontroller days it's too much effort to do it Lunetta style.

Last edited by elektrouwe on Wed Jul 04, 2018 12:31 pm; edited 2 times in total
IGR

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Clearly, I understand. But I find MUX as bidirectional switch for read/write operation very simple, useful. During ~10% of CV step duration to read voltage by S&H, then during 90% of CV step write its value back to capacitor. At output will be while whole step duration still right CV value. Maybe 4066 switch or FET controlled by short monostable triggered by clock. Touch sensitive CV sequencer that´s exciting idea. To be able to "tune" sequences on the fly with finger pressure, something like to inflate tyres at pump +/-! Impro friendly piece of gear.
blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I've made a leaky gate sequencer for my soft synth .. its doing nice stuff .. but am not totally happy yet with the forget curves .. too abrupt ... also I want negative forget .. negative leakiness ... as in that it can grow back from sparse to the programmed pattern. So still experimenting a bit with it .. but what a nice idea :-)
gabbagabi

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

iam glad to hear it is something enjoyable:-)

we need voltage controlled leakyness, in the negative half it will forgett more and more, in the positive it will look into the future more and more
Cool

or in reality one could connect a vca to the falling voltage in the cap so it would fade out before forgetting, somehow at least
gabbagabi

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

elektrouwe you are the master!
the feedback idea is just amazing! Shocked

I took the idea for the one-pot-cv-seq on a breadboard-ride.
first i tried 100nF caps and a 100k feedback resistor, with this the CV went slowly but noticable up.

So i tried something bigger 47µF and 1M- which sounded stable. Ive did a recording of 18 minutes, and it came out that with this combi the pitch is going down, but veeeery slowly. So adapting the C/R combi will stabilize the drift more, or one could use a pot as feedback-resistor to make the drift variable Smile

attached a soundfile which shows the pitch-drift over the time: 0min, 6min, 12min and18min.

one-pot-cv-sequencer-gabbagabi.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  49.21 KB
 Viewed:  304 Time(s)

one-pot-cv-sequencer-gabbagabi.png

cv test.mp3
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  cv test.mp3
 Filesize:  349.51 KB
 Downloaded:  695 Time(s)

gabbagabi

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i exanded the concept a bit, now it is gate+cv.
will post it soon.
Cool
Page 1 of 1 [19 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Developers' Corner
Jump to: