electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Lunettas - circuits inspired by Stanley Lunetta
hardware to experiment with?
Page 1 of 1 [8 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Musica_En_Fuego

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 4:20 pm    Post subject: hardware to experiment with?
Subject description: Potentiometers, switches, doodads, etc
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

today i was thinking of buying switches to play around with to see what i like. But i couldn't decide which switch to get. I was eyeing a switch grab bag on jameco for $24 usd. All i have now are the basic breadboard momentary tactile switches that are okay, but aren't really exciting. I've also been looking at rotary switches and analog joysticks to mess around with.
Richarius

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

For immediate playability within the Lunetta world (extending to the modular synthesizer world), I'm happy with your most basic SPST (single pole; single throw) switches. 2 connectors. Allowing you to have something pass through the switch, or not. Depending on whether it's turned on or off.
As well, you can get 'momentary' versions of this switch, which will act the same way as the push button switches that you had on the bread board. (Which are also SPST.)

Rotary switches, can allow you to switch 1 pole (1 thing) between 3 to 24 different destinations. (Possibly more. 3 to 12 being the most common.) They are great for multiple choice situations.

So a 24 pack? If the pricing is decent, there could be some interesting ones to play with.

JovianPyx

Audio files: 224

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Don't forget that transistors (and even diodes) can be used as switches.

A bipolar junction transistor is a current controlled switch.

A CMOS transistor is a voltage controlled switch.

Time flies like a banana.
Fruit flies when you're having fun.
BTW, Do these genes make my ass look fat?
corruptio optimi pessima
synaesthesia

Audio files: 85

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Oh, right. And don't forget the analog switches 4066 and multiplexers 4051, 4052, 4053. Great to introduce variations in a circuit, and can be controlled by other outputs as well as simple mechanical switches. Less exciting haptic experience than a rotary switch, however.
JovianPyx

Audio files: 224

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Don't forget the CD4007 which can do all kinds of crazy stuff. I call it a CMOS transistor array Cool

Time flies like a banana.
Fruit flies when you're having fun.
BTW, Do these genes make my ass look fat?
corruptio optimi pessima
Musica_En_Fuego

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Richarius wrote:

So a 24 pack? If the pricing is decent, there could be some interesting ones to play with.

It's a 150 piece pack for $24 usd on jameco electronics
Richarius

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Musica_En_Fuego wrote:
Richarius wrote:

It's a 150 piece pack for $24 usd on jameco electronics

Doh! My pardon. I have to learn how to read. Haha.

That's a nice price for experimenting! 6 switches for $1 (before shipping costs)? Even if all of the switches are "off shore" quality, that will still give you a fair # of options to play with for experimenting! Smile

Musica_En_Fuego

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:09 pm    Post subject: Found some new hardware to play with Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

So, since then. I've gotten a few new ICs, rotary switches, buttons, toggle switches. Also i finally found some joystick potentiometers, not to be confused with analog sticks.
Page 1 of 1 [8 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Lunettas - circuits inspired by Stanley Lunetta
Jump to: