electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Lunettas - circuits inspired by Stanley Lunetta
[SOLVED] Sustain issues with 555 envelope generator.
Page 1 of 1 [1 Post]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
beepetc.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:46 am    Post subject:  [SOLVED] Sustain issues with 555 envelope generator.
Subject description: CMOS 555 ASR and 1-transistor VCA.
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi guys!
I'm working on a mini 9v semi-modular synth voice, which based on a simple saw wave oscillator (courtesy of synthmonger), an ASR envelope generator and a 1-transistor VCA, which is based off PHOBoS' lun-a-key circuit.
Now, I've been going through heaven and hell with this thing, but I refuse to give up. A lot has been fixed and worked through, so I believe it's possible to solve. Cool

Here's the main issue [SOLVED]: The sustain stage of the envelope is more quiet, than the release stage.
Putting a 47uF cap instead of the 4,7uF cap, after the LEDs and pots, results in a proper sustain stage, but no release. The LEDs are an abstraction from the original design, which originally were 1n4148 diodes. I will try swapping the LEDs out with those, to see if it makes a difference.

Another issue is, that every time the envelope is triggered, the pitch of the VCO drops a bit. I'm unsure whether this is because the circuit is driven off a 9v battery, or lack of decoupling.

Any tips, help or ideas will be received with applause of gratitude and a 1000 virtual high fives.
Thanks, Tanis.

EDIT: After testing the circuit under the scope, it doesn't come as a surprise that the fault was lying in the 1-transistor VCA. The envelope is a beauty. I think it's the last time I'll use this kind of VCA, but for now, I'll just have to deal with it and fiddle with the resistor values.

EDIT 2: Alright! Problem 1, solved. Switching out the 10k at R5, with a 36k resistor solves the sustain issue. Now for the pitch drop issue.

EDIT 3: There it is guys. The grand finale. I've solved the mysteries and learnt why I need proper decoupling on my power supply. A 220uF decoupling cap, instead of the 2,2uF one, solved the pitch issue and this synth is now ready for our workshop.

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.
Page 1 of 1 [1 Post]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Lunettas - circuits inspired by Stanley Lunetta
Jump to: