electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
supersimple quadrature funk-tion generator
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 1 of 1 [11 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
gabbagabi

Audio files: 23

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:52 am    Post subject: supersimple quadrature funk-tion generator
Subject description: triangle (simulation) added, inculding vco and TZVCO
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

hi guys!
and happy new year party!

Some months ago i have realized that a square wave produced of a triangle osc and the square wave produced of a comparator processing the triangle wave of the same osc ... has a 90° phase difference.
I thought this could be usefull in a frequenzyshifter application. But recently the friendly voice in my head told me how it could be used for "supersimple triangle-ish quadrature funktion generator".

attached the concept of the 90° squarewave, the whole quadrature circuit and the evidence scope from the breadboard test.

cheers, bb, gabbagabi

asdfgh.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  46.79 KB
 Viewed:  345 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

asdfgh.png

IMG_20180103_104000.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  2.4 MB
 Viewed:  327 Time(s)

IMG_20180103_104000.jpg

relaxed_360°_wellenformer.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  105.9 KB
 Viewed:  332 Time(s)

relaxed_360°_wellenformer.png

Last edited by gabbagabi on Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:37 am; edited 1 time in total
PHOBoS

Audio files: 705

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

neat Very Happy

I got a bit confused at first as I thought it used one of those standard dual opamp sqr/tri oscillators. Maybe something
similar can be done with one of those which would result in linear slopes. I guess C1 & C2 should be matched for best
results. Stereopotmeters already have some tolerance too of course. Maybe using seperate pots and mixing the waveforms
together could get some interesting results as they are created from 1 oscillator so it would not be drifting in/out of phase.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
gabbagabi

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

thx,

i have simulated some things with the standard tri/sqr VCO, but there the output tends to drift away from the 0V line.
until now i did not found a solution for that.

till now the relaxation osc it works fine.
the tolerances of the caps and pots are only resulting in amplitude differences.

i will try it the "normal" tri/sqr osc tomorrow.

cu
gabbagabi

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

hi gang,
after finishing the sequencer thing (i need to post the schemo, sometime), i have layed down the soldering iron, and the friendly little voice in my head told me that it is time to quit.
but iam full of positive memories, especially of those moments when a circuit have worked Very Happy .
It will always be a part of me, and iam 100% shure iam getting back to it one day, and of course follow this wonderfull forum and may i give my 2 cents from time to time (always hoping it will be usefull), and, like now, completing unfinished task like now.

long story short. while cleaning the HD i came accros a book that i had never read, and there was written the answer to the drift problem. the answer is: a feedback resistor, which is stabilizing the amplitude of the 45° integrator.
And if ther is a generator there should be an oscillator, and if there is an oscillator it should go thru zero.

hope someone will enjoy it
keep in mind it is a simulation and play with the cap and integrator resistor values to make it more low or high frequency. To accomplish full quadrature u need to add some inverters.

cu,
gabbagabi

gabbagabi quadrature oscillator.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  986.57 KB
 Viewed:  316 Time(s)

gabbagabi quadrature oscillator.png

StephenGiles

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Aha, one of these is used in the Electroharmonix Flanger Hoax!
gabbagabi

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

dont know that, do u have a link to the schemo?
cygmu

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

g.gabba wrote:
hi gang,
after finishing the sequencer thing (i need to post the schemo, sometime), i have layed down the soldering iron, and the friendly little voice in my head told me that it is time to quit.

I’m sorry to hear that you’re moving on and I hope you will be back some time. I wanted to say that I have really enjoyed your posts and thinking over your designs. The true DIY spirit lives in your creations.
JeanFé

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Sorry to hear that too, I learned so much from your posts.You're very creative. Thanks for sharing, and keep moving forward..
gabbagabi

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

thx for your kind words mates.
but as you can see iam still around Smile
May i should have formulated this a bit less dramatic, but it was the feeling of this moment, and everything is still packed in boxes.

I had an SDIY overkill mad, short circuit and I had some time now to think about.
I identified two main problems:
-to much soldering on to little space
-i ran out of things i wanted to investigate, but i always felt best when i had at least 3 things to things about

the first one i can encounter with better planing and setting up strict personal design rules
the second one is a little bit harder to overcome. may i should ask here in the forum for help?

cu around
gg
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

pwew - you're staying around Smile

for the 2nd .. I occasionally look around to see what modules or features other synths have .. or I hear some sound which makes me wonder how to exactly do that .. which will sometimes result in ideas for a new module for my soft synth.

But the latest idea I had came from a TV guide Laughing (for lightning simulation .. not even sure yet how to translate that into audio ... but it keeps me from the streets at least).

Did you do any delay line based stuff already? maybe with them analog bucket thingies .. or with plain digital RAM even.

Formant filters are nice .. the ones that can do vowels ... or even nice bell sounds.

Anyway .. sometimes I think ... hmm .. I have everything done ... but always there after a while there will be some new ideas to try.

gabbagabi

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Guess i needed just a Holiday drunken
of course there is so much to explore outthere!
If i only remember when i saw those beautifull Manhatten-Style builds, or the pad-island stuff, i was kind of jeallous and thought: how sweet the life must taste without IC´s. May the original Steiner-Parker from the yusynth archive first? to get into the mood?
And yeah, if you reach the analog-retirement, you finally have time to join the bit-bang-gang Laughing

we will see
Peace
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 1 of 1 [11 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Jump to: