electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Online Music
One Player Game: Picture Show
Page 1 of 1 [11 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
opg

Audio files: 3

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 2:20 pm    Post subject: One Player Game: Picture Show Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This is what kind of music you make when you stay up until 4am....

It's kind of an orchestral piece.

http://www.oneplayergame.com/pictureshow.m3u

64kbps streaming mp3 as usual.....

Let me know what you think. I've got another tune on the way that is kind of a 70s TV show theme song, but I don't know how well these songs hold up against the other two on my site, "Anglerfish" and "Toner."
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 213
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Very cool. It IS orchestral music. What do you use for the orchestral sounds? (Geek question, sorry).

Sounds like the soundtrack for a TV show in the 60s. Maybe a spy program or detective show. You must be a real musician. Shocked Laughing

I like this a lot. Good job. cheers thumb up well done xxsun banana

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Kassen
Janitor
Janitor

G2 patch files: 3

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Exelent!

OPG is like Barry Adamson jr.!

I get a distinct EMU vibe of some of those sounds, am I warm? Also, did you ever considder including some tastefull springreverbed theremin? That´s realy that era but perhaps a bit too "ghost" and too little"detective"? Good work anyway!

opg

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm saving the theremin for another song. Wink Funny you mention the theremin. I have a friend that wants to build a theremin using Hall effect sensors and a bracelet made of rare earth magnets.

Thanks for the kind words! I hope you won't be too freaked out when I tell you I used all soundfonts, Fruity Loops, and T-Racks. I have a fantastic symphony soundfont with the essential orchestral instruments plus several well-made string/wind section combinations. I was working on another song and stumbled into the soundfont looking for those pizzicato strings. The song grew from there....

I spent my first year of college at a music conservatory, where I was fascinated with music theory but terrified of classical percussion and vocal lessons. They were trying to mold us all into performance majors, even though I was there for recording and jingle writing.

You guys just made my day! Very Happy
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

We'd love to hear more...

I was right. It sounded like you had once had music lessons. Very Happy

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Kassen
Janitor
Janitor

G2 patch files: 3

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Did you mix it down in fruity too? It seems to lack that fruity sound?
opg

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I used very few plug-ins (compared to the 8-bit NES stuff I normally do) this time, but I ran everything through a reverb unit and a vinyl effect. It's probably the vinyl sounds that helped the most when combined with the T-Racks processing. I've noticed that the "TV Broadcast" preset in T-Racks helps shape "that Fruity sound" into something more pleasing. The compressor and multi-band limiter settings sound great; I just tweak the high-cut EQ and gain a bit.

I'm going to try to finish up my "Disco Tune For Helicopter Scenes in 1970s Cop Shows" in a day or two.....
zynthetix

Audio files: 10
G2 patch files: 13

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This is great. You are obviously not a one-trick-gimmick with your music.
opg

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks. People tell me that all my songs sound completely different. I first took this as a compliment, but then I worried that it would hamper my ability to put together a cohesive album.

I mean, how do you follow a bit-crushed tune composed of Casio SK-1 beats and SID arpeggios with a song like this one?
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

OH NO. Do different stuff. Most people do that variation on one theme for their entire lives. There is a word for it: boring. If you do lots of variety, you will distinguish yourself. You already have. Play to your strength.
opg

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks for the advice!
Page 1 of 1 [11 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Online Music
Jump to: