electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Developers' Corner
TR909 KICK MODULAR schematics Eagle
Page 1 of 1 [21 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
dancelwerk

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 2:55 am    Post subject: TR909 KICK MODULAR schematics Eagle Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi to all, I created in Eagle the circuit for the Bass Drum Module of the legendary kick drum of the TR909. I am a disaster to create PCBS in Eagle but I want to share the schematics, perhaps somebody more experimented on creation on Pcbs can create a single side pcb. I tried but without success.
The circuit is a clone of the TR9090 http://www.9090project.co.uk/ and with the mods of Jörg Schmitz, http://www.analog-synth.de/synths/tr909/tr909.htm
both works are based on the Roland original schematics.

Thanks in advance.

TR909 KICK REVISION2.sch
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  TR909 KICK REVISION2.sch
 Filesize:  855.08 KB
 Downloaded:  805 Time(s)

LFLab

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Will have a look at it, seems interesting, you've drawn the schematic pretty neatly.
One thing to watch out for, is the pinout of the PNP transistors, one of the standard libraries has a mistake, been meaning to create my own library so I no longer have to doublecheck with each and every layout I do.
dancelwerk

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thank you very much, your help is very aprecciated!!!!

Perhaps contains errors, I am a newbie on eagle and my problem is create the pcb, I tried but the pcb always is very big, Confused

Dancelwerk.
LFLab

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'll try to get it done this weekend, I replaced the 10 pin PSU header with a box header, because safety Smile
Also, I'll add 100nF caps from rails to ground for each IC package.
dancelwerk

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

wow, you are the best, I will be waiting for the results!!!!

Thanks in advance.

Dancelwerk
LFLab

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

23 signals to go..... did all the easy ones though, now come all the tough ones that need to snake in between everything else.

Capture.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  280.08 KB
 Viewed:  585 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

Capture.JPG

dancelwerk

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey looks fantastic!!!

good work you made it very fast

thanks a lot! !
LFLab

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

11 signals to route, but the easy ones are long gone....
Might need to move components around.
VA1

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I made the decay and tone voltage controlled ( 0 to 5v ) for PWM signal from 8 bit chip with a transistor.
VA1

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

+ tune knob ( 10K + 39K resistor ) instead of 47K
dancelwerk

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

good idea!!!!!

I can't wait to make the pcb!!!!

I hope that works good.
LFLab

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

All routed Very Happy
Will need to do some moving of traces to increase clearance, maybe do some nudging of components.
Haven't incorporated mods, but if someone says which component to replace with what I can add that no problem.

Nb. picture does not show ground plane (top), for clarity.

Capture_schematic.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  106.1 KB
 Viewed:  934 Time(s)

Capture_schematic.JPG

Capture.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  336.34 KB
 Viewed:  499 Time(s)

Capture.JPG

dancelwerk

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

wow looks wonderfull!!!!!
LFLab

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

About done, no mods, haven't run ERC/DRC but as far as I can see, there are no collisions or spacings that are too tight.

Things to do:
Need a ground pad to connect the jacks
ERC/DRC
A few mounting holes for those that fully wire it up (I think I'll use PC mount 9mm potmeters).

Capture.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  280.75 KB
 Viewed:  508 Time(s)

Capture.JPG

LFLab

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Also, I have a separate board that has transistor noise and shift register noise. I think I'll try to add that mounting hole pattern to this board so you can piggyback the two and use the original noise source (and add a PSU connector).

Anything else people want to add, did anyone spot errors in the schematic?
dancelwerk

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I have to say that I made the pcb for Jörg Schmitz, http://www.analog-synth.de/synths/tr909/tr909.htm without success, the problem was that I had a continuos kick drum the oscillator was always sounding, in a normal state only when the trigger come should be sound, and many pots didn't nothing, I check schematics, recheck again, connections, but never did work. He say that works perfect, but I couldn't find any person on the web that made this project. I have to say too that I never put me in contact with this boy. Surely was my fault but I was very tired and the pcb was very big.

This is was my problem and I decided recreate the schematics and mix both projects, from Jörg Schmitz, I only did take the noise source and the compression mod, the other like you see is a copy of the schematic of 9090 project. There are some things that I don't understand:

1.- in the compression mod the transistor had any value in the schematic from Jörg Schmitz, http://www.analog-synth.de/synths/tr909/tr909.htm
2.- in the same schematic the transistor of the noise had one leg no connected, I don´t know that is good.

I can not say that there is errors or not, I think is all Ok with the schematics but they are a clone of 9090 project with the adds that I mentioned aboved. I think that we use a noise source of another project. Or even the same source for the project 9090.

Another question is when will be done, where do you make the pcb? is double side, and this is impossible to me
LFLab

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I started checking the actual circuit, and the noise section (which is 808 rather than 909) is OK. I checked against the hexinverter nein o nein kick, and it seems that around the velocity input there is something quite different, so I need to dig into the circuit a little more.

I ordered a batch of other designs for PCB yesterday, and decided I needed to spend a little more time on the 909 kick. It is not mature enough to order, need to check circuit, do a little bit more tweaking on component placement, and I also want to be able to use my own noise PCB (which has the 909 shift register noise), so there will be holes to mount that.
When I am done with the PCB I will order them, will probably be december though, I can send you one to verify when I get them.
But I'll post the Eagle files here when I am done with them.
dancelwerk

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

ok check the circuit well, when all is ok and working and you make the order, separate one for me, I want to buy one of you.

Cheers and I wait your answers.

Dancelwerk.
dancelwerk

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

LFLab wrote:
I started checking the actual circuit, and the noise section (which is 808 rather than 909) is OK. I checked against the hexinverter nein o nein kick, and it seems that around the velocity input there is something quite different, so I need to dig into the circuit a little more.

I ordered a batch of other designs for PCB yesterday, and decided I needed to spend a little more time on the 909 kick. It is not mature enough to order, need to check circuit, do a little bit more tweaking on component placement, and I also want to be able to use my own noise PCB (which has the 909 shift register noise), so there will be holes to mount that.
When I am done with the PCB I will order them, will probably be december though, I can send you one to verify when I get them.
But I'll post the Eagle files here when I am done with them.

Hi how are you?

How is the project, is finished yet?, I need this kick in my modular!!!!!, hahaha, its a joke take your time to check, only I want to know how is all.

Cheers.

Dancelwerk.
LFLab

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Sorry for not replying, lots of things to do Very Happy

I made the following list of things I like to have a look at:
velocity input is different from hexinverter nein oh nein schematic
Nein oh nein has additional opamp for triggerinput
Noise check circuit
Output filter and resistor
mounting holes noise board
extra psu on 3 pole 0.1" pitch connector footprint
ground connection for jacks
check position potmeters
check packages of 0.33uF caps (film of elco?)
Schematic reorganise for clarity
Noise components cluster on right end of board (are spread out now)
ERC/DRC
Mounting holes
Check pot spacing wrt edge of board (0.2" nu)

Wrt, remarks about the noise board, I made my own board, which has the circuits for both transistor noise and shift register noise, I'd like to be able to mount that board as an option.

If you can check the velocity and trigger input circuitry, as well as the transistor noise circuitry, that would be helpful. I think the nein oh nein schematic from hexinverter is a good starting place, there are alternative sites which had working clones of 909 and 808, but I think these have vanished.
LFLab

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

So, been tweaking it a little bit. Added the trigger conditioning from the hexinverter schem.
Still will need to do some more checking though.
I'll leave the Eagle files here, should anyone want to pick this up faster than I do (I usually have quite a few hobby projects at the same time).

AA_909kick.zip
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  AA_909kick.zip
 Filesize:  115.99 KB
 Downloaded:  423 Time(s)

Page 1 of 1 [21 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Developers' Corner
Jump to: