electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » MusicFromOuterSpace.com designs by Ray Wilson
Echo Rockit VCF fault... troubleshooting
Page 1 of 1 [9 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
muffin_man

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:57 am    Post subject: Echo Rockit VCF fault... troubleshooting Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi there,

I just built the Echo Rockit, and am having some issues that I can't seem to fix myself! I have a multimeter and a scope.

Input buffer, LFO and oscillator are working fine. However:

- first issue - something's dragging the virtual ground slightly towards Batt+ (running from an adaptor giving 11,1V, I get +4,8V/-6,5V)
Is that normal behaviour of this device? The LFO's output gets clipped at the top end Sad

- second: the signal does not pass even the first state of VCF! Signal amplitude at X24 is about 5V - thus after the voltage divider R2/R27, the LM13700 sees 50mV amplitude at the input. But - the Bias inputs (pins 1 and 16) are constantly dragging down close to Batt-... even though voltage at U1-7/R24/R26 is GND with the cutoff pot turn all the way up - after R24/R26 I get about -6V no matter what, and no output from the Opamp! I've re-checked numerous times for correct parts, placement, bad connections, tried 3 different ICs, even changed Q1 and Q2. Anyone has an idea what could be causing this behaviour?

- third issue is the unbearably noisy PT2399 which starts a loud crackle if delay's over 50%, and/or if LFO mod is over 2 o'clock... a common problem I guess, but I was wondering it really the IC itself is the problem. I ordered them from china. Are there huge differences in cheaply manufactured versions of this device?

Thank you all!
muffinman
muffin_man

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I got a little further:

- if I remove R27, R34 and R22, the voltages get symmetrical, so the voltage drift is due to malfunction of VCF. Still, Im sure that everything between R1/R2 and C3/C4 is assembled as shown in the schematic. Again, double-checked all values, traces, joints etc.

- The noise only persists if the current into the VCO pin of PT2399 (pin 6) falls below about 2mA. That starts to happen if the voltage at U1-14 rises (!). If I remove U1 and put a resistor from Batt+ or GND to the base of Q3, the delay is working smoothly without any noise.
Odd thing, since I was expecting the current to increase as U1-14 rises. What's going on? Did I misunderstand the current sink circuit?
muffin_man

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Found the reason for the noise issue - the voltage was too high! I feel so stupid... didn't expect the circuit to be so picky. Now running off a 9V battery, delay/LFO mod works. Still, no sound coming thru VCF though.

For reference, in case someone really is reading this, here are the voltages:

Supply is now 3,4V/-4,3V, consumtion of powered circuit 50mA

LM13700 pins:

1: -3,1V
2: NC
3: 0,02V - 0,04V square wave from oscillator
4: 0,1V
5: 2,8V
6: -4,4V
7: 2,8V
8: 1,6V
9: 1,6V
10: 2,8V
11: 3,5V
12: 2,8V
13: 0V
14: 0V
15: NC
16: -3,1V

I'll assemble that portion on a breadboard to see if I'm really losing my mind or not...!
muffin_man

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Oops, sorry, of course amp bias pins 1 and 16 stay negative, since they're current biased!

I'm getting closer to the problem it seems: If I just leave out Q1, feed the oscillator and LFO to VCF, set cut off at 50% and resonance to 0, I can see the pulsing wave with a scope at the output U4-5! Only if the JFET is in place, the signal dies... tested with multiple MPF102 and a few 2N5486.

Any ideas?
gabbagabi

Audio files: 23

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

hi muffin_man,
at least iam reading,
but have no idea how to help.
good luck!
PHOBoS

Audio files: 705

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mmmmm muffins,

If you are powering it from a 9V battery then the total voltage between pins 6 & 11 of the LM13700 seems a bit low as those are connected directly to the battery.
Could be the battery, could be something shorting out a bit pulling the supply voltage down, maybe one of the pins is connected wrong or there is a bad connection
somewhere.

also
welcome party!

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
muffin_man

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Oh daaaaamn, I finally figured it out!
In case anyone is still reading:

I rebuilt the VCF circuit on a breadboard and... it still didn't work. So I started checking for bad components. Since the semiconductors were very cheap components ordered from china, I swapped the LM13700 for another one I had built into a Ross Phaser pedal - no change.
Then I swapped the JFETs for a pair of original 2N5457 and it started oscillating!!

Long story short - support your local electronics supply store Wink

Beware of these ridiculously inexpensive MPF102 on ebay, apparently they're fakes:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/263562163728

Attached are three pictures of the thing as I built it. I managed to cram everything into a 12x9cm enclosure to make a guitar stompbox out of it... no millimeter wasted there.
I also re-routed the PCB a bit to make it one-sided (for easier etching, I hate making double-sided PCBs) and made it a bit smaller to fit the enclosure.

I also added an expression pedal input to be able to alter delay time with a foot pedal I happened to have around.

It's such a fun device to play around with!

echo_rockit_pedal.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  123.37 KB
 Viewed:  397 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

echo_rockit_pedal.jpg

muffin_man

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

P.S.: In case you may wonder - I omitted the second CV input and the Line/Mic switch, as I'm sure I'd never have used them.
gabbagabi

Audio files: 23

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

glad to hear u've fixed it cheers
Page 1 of 1 [9 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » MusicFromOuterSpace.com designs by Ray Wilson
Jump to: