electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Stickney Synthyards
Tring Tring Telephone Controller
Page 1 of 1 [12 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
PHOBoS

Audio files: 705

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 4:22 am    Post subject:  Tring Tring Telephone Controller
Subject description: Arduino based sequencer/controller inside a toy telephone
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

more info will follow,..

Tring Tring Telephone Controller - 01.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.1 MB
 Viewed:  713 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

Tring Tring Telephone Controller - 01.jpg

Last edited by PHOBoS on Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:58 am; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
gabbagabi

Audio files: 23

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

sequenza? Smile Question
PHOBoS

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

yepz Laughing which is an extra feature for what I initially intended to do.

What it actually is, or is going to be, is a controller for my QuaZar 'sequencer', but with an arduino inside it's easy to make it useful
for other things aswell. When I designed QuaZar I already had the idea in mind to add an external keyboard/controller and there is
a connector for this on the front. The idea is to be able to trigger the notes manually so I can use it as a keyboard with a custom scale.
It already has buttons that can do this but one thing I hadn't thought about is that when you release a button it will go back to whatever
step it is currently set to (which is selected with a control voltage instead of a CLK).

The idea was to use the electronic equivalent of radio buttons for the controller and I designed a simple circuit for this with a couple of
flip flops. I then started thinking about what switches I could use and if I might have something useful laying around and that's when I
remembered the toy telephone. Thinking a bit more about what other functions could be useful I decided I might aswell put an arduino
inside and add a sequencer function. At that point I hadn't even realized yet that it has a button matrix so my initial flip-flop circuit wasn't
even useful.

I first wrote the code for the radiobutton part to get that working the way I wanted with the button-matrix. Today I started on the code
for the sequencer bit and I realized that it is actually easy to add and I can just combine it with the code I already had. On startup it loads
the first step of the sequence (I have not decided yet if I am going to add a function to store multiple sequences). Without a CLK signal
(I'll add a switch to disable it) you can just play it with the radiobutton function, so whenever you press a key it stays on untill you press
another key (gate out will only be high as long as the key is pressed). When another key is pressed this is also stored as the new value for
the current sequencer step (0 on startup). There are buttons to select previous and next step and all that does is just load the previous/next
value from the stored sequence, but after that you can just play it again manually and every change is again stored for that step. If you now
add a CLK signal it will step through the sequence and you can adjust every step on the fly.

At the moment I am thinking about what extra switches I need to add (and maybe LEDs and/or a pots too). I do want to keep it pretty basic
though. The next thing I need to try is if I can use the switch that is inside the hook for the handset as a reset switch or if it's too crappy and
I need to add an extra switch for that. I also need something to select different modes for which I could use a pot but that would require
some sort of indicator so switches might be a better solution. Or make it so that it can only switch modes on startup, which is easy to do with
just holding down a button on startup.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
PHOBoS

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I've been working a bit on the hardware. I removed the original slideswitch and added some other switches and LEDs.
I am using 74HC595 shiftregisters to control all the LEDs + main outputs (with just 3 arduino pins).

Tring Tring Telephone Controller - 03.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  223.21 KB
 Viewed:  636 Time(s)

Tring Tring Telephone Controller - 03.jpg

Tring Tring Telephone Controller - 04.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  259.06 KB
 Viewed:  614 Time(s)

Tring Tring Telephone Controller - 04.jpg

Tring Tring Telephone Controller - 05.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  229.75 KB
 Viewed:  653 Time(s)

Tring Tring Telephone Controller - 05.jpg

Tring Tring Telephone Controller - 06.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  298.3 KB
 Viewed:  651 Time(s)

Tring Tring Telephone Controller - 06.jpg

Tring Tring Telephone Controller - 07.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  280.9 KB
 Viewed:  643 Time(s)

Tring Tring Telephone Controller - 07.jpg

RingMad

Audio files: 4

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hahaha, nice. PM me your number... I want to talk to you on that phone! Smile

.:james:.
PHOBoS

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I got to a point where I wanted to give it a testdrive. So I connected it to QuaZar and,... nothing happened. As I suspected I didn't
add any buffering/level shifting to the QuaZar inputs and controlling CMOS chips powered by 12V with a 5V signal doesn't work.
I kow there are dedicated chips for level shifting but I just used some simple opamp comparators. After adding this, fixing a bad
solder joint and swapping some wires it worked as expected.

To actually make some sounds with it I used the MI Rings module which was actually the reason why I started on this controller in the first
place, as I' d like to have a manual controller for it.

So here are 2 simple demos, one with automatic sequencing and one with some manual button mashing. I did notice some small
things I need to change in the code but overall it works pretty well. The buttons can be a bit bouncy, but that's more because of
the mechanical construction than it is actual contact bounce.

PHOBoS - Tring Ring (sequence).mp3
 Description:
PHOBoS - Tring Ring (sequence)

Download
 Filename:  PHOBoS - Tring Ring (sequence).mp3
 Filesize:  5.58 MB
 Downloaded:  919 Time(s)

PHOBoS - Tring Ring (manual).mp3
 Description:
PHOBoS - Tring Ring (manual)

Download
 Filename:  PHOBoS - Tring Ring (manual).mp3
 Filesize:  2.02 MB
 Downloaded:  880 Time(s)

PHOBoS

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I wanted the USB port of the arduino to be accessible from the outside and found a spot for it. Cool

I also added a midi output so I have the option to use it as a midi controller/sequencer in the future.

Tring Tring Telephone Controller - 09.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  245.95 KB
 Viewed:  595 Time(s)

Tring Tring Telephone Controller - 09.jpg

Tring Tring Telephone Controller - 10.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  197.82 KB
 Viewed:  606 Time(s)

Tring Tring Telephone Controller - 10.jpg

Cfish

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I have not bean on here in a while, I had forgot how much I liked seeing your projects. 😀
PHOBoS

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yeah, it's been a while since I've seen you around here, hope all is well.
Happy New Year! Razz

I finished the controller the day after the last post, but haven't taken any pictures. Probably because I need 2 small screws to mount
the DIN connector (so it's actually not 100% finished) which I haven't been able to find. Let's see if I can get to that this weekend.

Cfish

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Happy new year to you too. I will be looking forward to iseeing it.
PHOBoS

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:22 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

well, here it is.

Tring Tring Telephone Controller - 11.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  314.58 KB
 Viewed:  354 Time(s)

Tring Tring Telephone Controller - 11.jpg

Tring Tring Telephone Controller - 12.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  176.97 KB
 Viewed:  333 Time(s)

Tring Tring Telephone Controller - 12.jpg

Tring Tring Telephone Controller - 13.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  168.41 KB
 Viewed:  358 Time(s)

Tring Tring Telephone Controller - 13.jpg

Tring Tring Telephone Controller - 14.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  154.28 KB
 Viewed:  324 Time(s)

Tring Tring Telephone Controller - 14.jpg

Tring Tring Telephone Controller - 15.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  150.35 KB
 Viewed:  324 Time(s)

Tring Tring Telephone Controller - 15.jpg

Cfish

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Nice.
Page 1 of 1 [12 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Stickney Synthyards
Jump to: