electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Circuit Bending
(mis)Using the PT2399 delay chip as a high-speed oscillator?
Page 1 of 1 [22 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Hashtag Octothorpe

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:22 pm    Post subject: (mis)Using the PT2399 delay chip as a high-speed oscillator? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

RIGHT after I ordered some dedicated "precision adjustable oscillators" for a circuit bend, I learned that the much-loved PT2399's "clock" pin (5) is the output of the clock it uses to run the ADC-delay-DAC magic it performs. It's a 5V part, and according to the datasheet, runs from 22MHz to 2MHz, which would be ridiculously perfect for replacing the 12MHz crystal.

So... anybody done this?

Here's the reverb module I'm going to mod, by the way. It's an INCREDIBLE module for the price, even without all the goodies I'm planning to add to the second one I build. Goodies like adjustable clock, a feedback circuit with gain for runaway crazieness, and dry/wet adjustment. And maybe a resonant low-pass filter in the feedback loop because why not.
[/url]
Hashtag Octothorpe

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I just checked: PT2399s are $0.16 each and the LTC1799 I ordered are nearly a dollar per chip. US dollars, ordering from AliExpress. Plus, I have lots of the reverb chips in my parts bin and the dedicated oscillators are crawling across the Pacific.
PHOBoS

Audio files: 705

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Nice idea Very Happy
I have only used that output as an indicator for the delay time but I think it could be used as an oscillator although it might require an extra buffer.

Instead of the LTC1799 I have use the 74HCT4046 to replace x-tals which gives you voltage control over the clock speed.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ixtern

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 1:03 pm    Post subject: Re: (mis)Using the PT2399 delay chip as a high-speed oscillator? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hashtag Octothorpe wrote:
RIGHT after I ordered some dedicated "precision adjustable oscillators" for a circuit bend, I learned that the much-loved PT2399's "clock" pin (5) is the output of the clock it uses to run the ADC-delay-DAC magic it performs. It's a 5V part, and according to the datasheet, runs from 22MHz to 2MHz, which would be ridiculously perfect for replacing the 12MHz crystal.

So... anybody done this?

Here's the reverb module I'm going to mod, by the way. It's an INCREDIBLE module for the price, even without all the goodies I'm planning to add to the second one I build. Goodies like adjustable clock, a feedback circuit with gain for runaway crazieness, and dry/wet adjustment. And maybe a resonant low-pass filter in the feedback loop because why not.
[/url]

I am very interested in your mode of this module as I have the same or similar (although I even haven't tested it yet). I'm curious how you want to mod digital DSP reverb module - I don't think that changing a system clock is a good idea but who knows...
Hashtag Octothorpe

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

That reverb module is just amazing. So many very cool effects. My favorite might be 8, which is a nice lush reverb. Other really good ones are... well, there's gated reverb, "reverse" reverb, phasers and flangers, delays and choruses, pitch changers...

Okay, the module doesn't have "wet/dry" mix, so everything you feed to the input gets processed and you don't hear any of the original sound. I will use a reverse fader type circuit for that. It also lacks any way to feed the output back to the input, which I'll include with a basic amplifier circuit (although I might include a Korg MS-20 style low pass filter to the feedback circuit if I have room).

Changing the clock speed should be okay. My other reverb builds based on Spin Semiconductor FV-1 chips and my delay builds based on the PT2399 have adjustable clock speeds. The only problem might be if the microcontroller on the cheap reverb module crashes with a change in clock speed. If the DSP chip and the microcontroller share a the clock speed it shouldn't be a problem!
Hashtag Octothorpe

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I drew a schematic... it uses five op-amps (I recommend TL047 quad op-amps) which is awkward. You MIIIGGHHTT be able to eliminate the bottom amp, instead connecting the two 10K resistors that originally connected to the output of that op-amp to the leg of the wet/dry potentiometer.

20190120_003842.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.85 MB
 Viewed:  665 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

20190120_003842.jpg

Hashtag Octothorpe

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Whoops, no, there's problems with that schematic..... don't use it. I'll draw a better one tomorrow...
PHOBoS

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Apart from the inverted feedback that actually looks quite ok although it might need some AC coulping caps depending on the power supply.
Interesting to see the wet/dry mix at the beginning of the audio chain, I've always just added it at the end but this might be a better idea
especially with delays.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ixtern

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I drew a schematic... it uses five op-amps (I recommend TL047 quad op-amps) which is awkward. You MIIIGGHHTT be able to eliminate the bottom amp, instead connecting the two 10K resistors that originally connected to the output of that op-amp to the leg of the wet/dry potentiometer.

Remember that the codec on the module input/output has limited input and output voltage range. In my case it is CS4220-KS and according to datasheet it has 2V rms (means about 5.5V peak-to-peak for sine wave and 4 V for square). Output is almost the same (1.9V rms).
Hashtag Octothorpe

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The inverting feedback shouldn't be a problem because the signal gets thoroughly mixed up in the guts of the reverb so polarity isn't an issue...

...except in that schematic where the dry signal also makes it into the feedback loop, that's my biggest error...

So here's a better one! With the TL074 pinout and bypass caps!

You're on your own to get the 5V the module needs. Maybe your build has a 5V rail? Use a 7805?

Oh! When I build this, I'll totally experiment with that "10K?" resistor. There's already gain coming from the buffer in the feedback loop, and getting the reverb overdriven into infinite repeats or hums or howls can be an amazing feature, but you don't want it going overboard. So higher values like 15K will reduce the signal level of the feedback, while lower values like 7.5K will increase the signal level.

I like including the wet/dry before the effect because then you can have the dry signal going through and "ping" it with a quick twist of the knob and get a chunk of sound into the effect and have it ring until the effect module is done doing its thing. Very Happy I think it's called "tails".

reverb schematic.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  2.55 MB
 Viewed:  716 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

reverb schematic.jpg

Hashtag Octothorpe

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Okay, change the feedback resistors on the output amps (the only 20K resistors on there) to 30K resistors and you'll get almost unity (well... inverting unity) out of the dry signal, which is good. The wet signal will be processed by the effects module and the one I'm using has its own volume knob, so...?
ixtern

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The inverting feedback shouldn't be a problem because the signal gets thoroughly mixed up in the guts of the reverb so polarity isn't an issue...

...except in that schematic where the dry signal also makes it into the feedback loop, that's my biggest error...

So here's a better one! With the TL074 pinout and bypass caps!

You're on your own to get the 5V the module needs. Maybe your build has a 5V rail? Use a 7805?

Oh! When I build this, I'll totally experiment with that "10K?" resistor. There's already gain coming from the buffer in the feedback loop, and getting the reverb overdriven into infinite repeats or hums or howls can be an amazing feature, but you don't want it going overboard. So higher values like 15K will reduce the signal level of the feedback, while lower values like 7.5K will increase the signal level.

I like including the wet/dry before the effect because then you can have the dry signal going through and "ping" it with a quick twist of the knob and get a chunk of sound into the effect and have it ring until the effect module is done doing its thing. Very Happy I think it's called "tails".

It is a bad idea to put pot in the feedback loop of opamp. After some time, when pot's resistive path would worn, your opamp may go crazy with open feedback loop, generating big clicks (or maybe locking up).
Hashtag Octothorpe

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I always tie the wiper to one of the ends, so at most it'll fail at the MAXIMIUM VOLUME 😁 In the 808 all the variable-gain inverting amps also include a big electrolytic cap in series with the potentiometer and a 470K resistor in parallel.

If I ever build modules for sale, I'll do that too.
noto

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

hi! that reverb module looks like it is using a coolaudio V1000. it is possible to pitch them with an external oscillator, but it may cause the microcontroller to crash. you can disconnect the micro controller and still access the 16 FX with switches. check out the datasheet http://www.coolaudio.com/docs/V1000_DATASHEET.pdf
the mod is great. sounds really good. although i didn't try feedback. https://youtu.be/ybgNFWiQv1U
also, did you get the pt2399 to work as a clock oscillator? sounds like a cool experiment.
Grumble

Audio files: 30

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

In my delay module I use a digital potentiometer (AD5144 from Analog Devices) controlled with an Arduino to change the clockfrequency of the PT2399.

Youtube clip

noto

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

very cool! i really need to make some time for arduino someday.. i have lots of pt2399 laying around, but i don't really like the sound quality for typical delay applications. looking for new ways to use them. always thought it would be cool to try to build a sort of comb filter out of a pt2399. probably not fast enough, but might give some unique quality. Very Happy
Hashtag Octothorpe

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

noto wrote:
hi! that reverb module looks like it is using a coolaudio V1000. it is possible to pitch them with an external oscillator, but it may cause the microcontroller to crash. you can disconnect the micro controller and still access the 16 FX with switches. check out the datasheet http://www.coolaudio.com/docs/V1000_DATASHEET.pdf
the mod is great. sounds really good. although i didn't try feedback. https://youtu.be/ybgNFWiQv1U
also, did you get the pt2399 to work as a clock oscillator? sounds like a cool experiment.

I didn't mess with the PT2399 for this use yet... I'm struggling with getting a fully-point-to-point clone of an 808 hi-hat voice, which I JUST finished!!! Very Happy

I'll update this thread with any progress. It would be nice to have fifteen cent chips usable as crystal replacements! With, like, just a decoupling cap and a pot!
Hashtag Octothorpe

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I built this with a 1799 oscillator replacing the crystal. It works!!!

The timing range is pretty sensitive, it'll crash if the timing is too fast OR too slow, so if you go this route, trim the end and middle of the speed-setting pot carefully (if that makes any sense).

I did NOT try the PT2399 clock in this build, but I may get another of these modules and give that a try!
Hashtag Octothorpe

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

IT WORKS!!!!!

I'm so happy to report that the PT2399 clock will drive other circuits! I feel like with 1799s and the like, there's going to be more precision and consistency, but if that's not something your circuit needs, TOTALLY use them!

I put a 10uF cap between pin 2 and 3, another 10uF cap between 1 and 3, AND a 100nF between 1 and 3, a couple 100nF caps from pins 7 and 8 to ground (not sure if any of these caps are strictly necessary but...?) and grounded pins... um... 10, 12, and 15. All the inputs on the right side of the chip. My particular application needs a 2.7K resistor minimum from pin 6 to ground, and a 50K pot seems to give me the most usable range.
PHOBoS

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

great, good to know that works Very Happy
cyclic

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

so Ive been mucking about with this on the breadboard tonight.

The output pin 5 will give a clock of sorts with basically nothing else connected - I followed the original suggestion of the stabilising caps etc but they dont make much difference.
in fact pin 5 gives a VCO output wiht nothing else except the pin 6 resistance connected.

BUUUUUT its a long way from a clock. At low frequencies 1MHz its a dirty resonant square then it morphs into a sin at about 4MHz, then ramps up ampliftude at 10MHz before tailing away to a wee little beastie at the 20MHz points.

I want to stick this into horrible toys for quick and dirty circuit bending so I want to keep the part count low, but the suggested low part count doesnt give a nice clock..

I tried to work out if I could hack the opamps into a comparator to force a square but I cant work out if its doable.

any of you brainiacs got some gnarly clues about really abusing the crap out of my pile of off-brand PT2399s?
Hashtag Octothorpe

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

that's great info about the waveforms. I've got one of those $15 DSOs which can't even manage high pitched audio waveforms, so it's useless for MHz+

The op amps on the chip are set up with the inverting input available to the outside world, and the non-inverting input tied to Vcc/2. One of them doesn't have a feedback resistor, which turns it into an inverting comparator! It would work great for buffering a weak clock signal BUT... the op amps are for audio, and I'd be surprised if they have fast enough slew rate to work with a fast signal.

Unsurprisingly, the slew rate specs aren't on the datasheet LOL but I would *love* to see what you get out of connecting pin 5 to the inverting input (pin 13) and seeing what comes out of pin 14.
Page 1 of 1 [22 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Circuit Bending
Jump to: