electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Lunettas - circuits inspired by Stanley Lunetta
"You're on the radio!"
Page 1 of 1 [12 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Inventor
Stream Operator

Audio files: 267

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:39 am    Post subject: "You're on the radio!"
Subject description: Transmitting Lunetta Output Signals`
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi, it's me (Les) again from the wayback machine with an oldie and a goodie...

I was imagining in the museum of ancient concepts, just thinking of ways to get audio from my next Lunetta and upon waking from sleep an idea registered: AM radio!

I doubt it's anything new since people have done all manner of things of the like, still I wonder if it could be fun to explore the topic a bit. The notion in this noggin is to design a Lunetta to have harmonics (or even main signal) around 1 MHz which is the AM broadcast region.

Then forget about jacks, speakers, cables or any kind of output thing, we can just use an AM radio for audio out. This has a creative simplicity that I find enjoyable. It also tingles the retro-lover in all of us.

For those (most I suppose) of us who already have Lunettas operating, a quick scan with an AM radio is likely to lead to some tasty listening treats. As for myself, I've got nothing but a boxful of chips and some time, so...

Cr38t!v!ty 4w4!t5!

Les

elektrouwe

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I've done this @ camp festival 2005 in Stuttgart: standard Lunetta stuff, but the outputs connected to 47mH inductor coils, e.g. Bourns RLB0812-473KL, with series resistor, maybe a C, I don't remember. The whole thing was build on a plywood board, with the transmission coils spread on it. With a small handheld '70s AM Radio moving above the board I could perform a life mix. Had a lot of fun.
Inventor
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

elektrouwe that sounds like just the thing! What did it sound like? I've got a slightly different plan but maybe my plan won't work, time will tell!

Les

PHOBoS

Audio files: 705

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Nice timing as I have just started playing around a bit with an AM radio as an extra sound source. So I gave it a quick try to see if it would pick up
anything from my lunetta synths,.. That actually worked better than expected Shocked I didn't even have to use high frequencies or coils or long wires,
just keep the radio in the vicinity and you'll hear the bleeps. The nice thing with a radio is that you can play with the tuning to mix in actual radio
stations and you can move it around to change the reception.

I posted the recording here.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
CHRISKELLY

Audio files: 3

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Sounds great! I like the idea of a lost transmission from a Lunetta being picked up by someone on the radio
JovianPyx

Audio files: 224

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This brings me back to the 1970s when I used to go to the University of Illinois on Saturdays with my older brother to play with the IBM computers there. They had an IBM 360/195 (huge) on which I learned PL1 programming, but way in the back was an old IBM 1800. It was several racks wide and had no side panels. A student discovered that if they put an AM radio tuned the right way onto one of the 1800's shelves, the radio made weird noises. The student then discovered that he could make specific pitches depending on the instructions executed by the 1800. This developed far enough that he was able to put together a 2 part Bach piece (can't remember which piece) that played on the radio.

Keep experimenting with Lunettas this way, using AM you should be able to transmit musical frequencies with different timbres to the AM radio. I'd love to hear some examples of "wireless Lunettas".

Time flies like a banana.
Fruit flies when you're having fun.
BTW, Do these genes make my ass look fat?
corruptio optimi pessima
IGR

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I remember that on the first programmable TI (58/59) calcs it was possible to write a tune picked by the AM radio.
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Decorated radio Cool

Heard bits of the PHOBoS recordings, bit wild, and interesting .. will spend some more time on those later.

Grumble

Audio files: 30

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

LOL, this is exactly the sounds I try very hard to avoid when using digital components in my synth, especially processors like Arduino stuff
RingMad

Audio files: 4

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Interesting stuff!

When I first started doing "experimental music" years ago, I had no equipment so I used a lot of AM radio interference, and a telephone pickup, with borrowed guitar pedals, and eventually someone gave me an old shortwave radio. And then I dropped the radio stuff to explore other things.

I'm curious to try this. As well as see how other radio bands respond...

Les: Nice to see you on the forum again!

.:james:.
Inventor
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It's good to be back (again). I like the comments here, maybe we can come up with some new circuits on this topic.

Les

Inventor
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm curious about an idea on this topic.

If we probe with an AM radio, we are listening to the functionality of the circuit as it operates. Then if we listen to other locations and other frequency bands simultaneously, we can hear the entire circuit operating all at once.

Such an item might be beneficial as a music pickup, and there may be other uses like diagnostics. It can be kind of like listening to a car's engine. Maybe even just listening to the supply voltage would be interesting.

Just a thought.

Les

Page 1 of 1 [12 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Lunettas - circuits inspired by Stanley Lunetta
Jump to: