electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » How-tos
Four Minute Video about Podcasting
Page 1 of 1 [18 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
djfoxyfox
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 5
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2005 9:54 pm    Post subject: Four Minute Video about Podcasting Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Podcasting is going to be the next big thing. There is a four minute introductory video about podcasting. Podcasting News has a link to it at:
http://www.podcastingnews.com/archives/2005/02/video_intro_to.html

Remember, you don't need an iPod or even any portable player in order to take advantage of Podcasting. After all, it's just another way to get audio files onto your hard drive. But the (free) subscription aspect and the hosted show format often followed is the point of it all. Why leave broadcasting to the professionals when you can get in the game yourself?

Cheers,

--|_)| -----|-----()---------------------
-----------()----soundscapes.us/bill
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 213
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quite cool. Any ideas on how to use podcasting with electro-music.com? Seems like a natural to me.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
djfoxyfox
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mosc wrote:
Quite cool. Any ideas on how to use podcasting with electro-music.com? Seems like a natural to me.
Technically, it is an RSS news feed using XML, except the content is an audio file instead of text and graphics. So there's really nothing to it once you learn how. But you have to start creating content on a semi regular basis. We should discuss what content to provide and how to create it.

Cheers,

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Mohoyoho

Audio files: 8

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks for the link. I am very interested in podcasting.
www.cdbaby.com/cd/markmahoney
www.cdbaby.com/cd/mmahoneympeck
http://cdbaby.com/cd/mmahoneympeck2
http://www.limitedwave.com/subterraneous/
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yes, what kind of shows? Who does them? I think [this] could be a good alternative to the traditional web radio. Maybe we could have some good stuff to get our audience to listen, not just ourselves...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
LoKi

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Theres loads more podcast info at www.ipodder.net
and googling "ipodder" or "podcast" brings up enough results to make you wonder why you haven't heard of this before!!! Shocked

elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mosc wrote:
Yes, what kind of shows? Who does them? I think could be a good alternative to the traditional web radio. Maybe we could have some good stuff to get our audience to listen, not just ourselves...

Well, "you" make them.. Or in our case, Adam makes them, hopefully..

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
djfoxyfox
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mosc wrote:
Yes, what kind of shows? Who does them? I think could be a good alternative to the traditional web radio. Maybe we could have some good stuff to get our audience to listen, not just ourselves...
That's the whole idea - to get an audience. Anyone who can make an audio file can do a show and shows can be anything; an audio blog, a weekly tutorial on your subject of expertise, a radio style program, whatever it is that you want to produce. Some people don't even do a show format. They merely put up their music tracks for free.

If you think that electro-music should get into podcasting, then I recommend that each "show" contain information about electro-music; its URL, its purpose, its activities, and something to bring people to the site. You can even sell advertising if you want! Imagine synth makers advertising on electro-music podcasts...

To get my Galactic Travels Podcasts, paste this URL into your RSS aggregator:
http://wdiy.org/programs/gt/rss/podcasts.xml

Cheers,

djfoxyfox
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mosc wrote:
The best example I've found that demonstrates what we can do at electro-music is the Fake Science Lab Report podcast. To subscribe, paste this URL into your RSS news reader:
http://fakescience.libsyn.com/rss
(If you click on it, you'll see the XML code directly. Very educational if you're trying to learn how to podcast.)
The rest of you can just go to:
http://fakescience.libsyn.com
and click on any of the pod icons to hear the related mp3 file directly.

I've subscribed and I'm hooked. EM artists should submit material for their consideration.

Perhaps we might consider making http://podcasts.electro-music.com as the official URL for electro-music media to put its "shows" on a bi-weekly basis.

Cheers,

mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

djfoxyfox wrote:
Perhaps we might consider making http://podcasts.electro-music.com as the official URL for electro-music media to put its "shows" on a bi-weekly basis.

I assume you mean programs we produce, not ones produced by fakescience.

Technically, this seems very easy to do. The challenge is making the programs. If we were to allow inclusion of commercial music, or music covered under ASCAP, BMI or other RMO, then we'd have to buy a license. Does anyone know where one gets such a license and how much it would cost?

How would we produce the programs. Should we put together a team of editors/producers?

elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well, the big issue here is that these would be actual files.. as in free files. True packet streaming is something else, and the rates are pretty decent if you place the streaming server in the right country.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
djfoxyfox
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mosc wrote:
I assume you mean programs we produce, not ones produced by fakescience.
Of course. Why would we rebroadcast anything?
mosc wrote:
Technically, this seems very easy to do. The challenge is making the programs. If we were to allow inclusion of commercial music, or music covered under ASCAP, BMI or other RMO, then we'd have to buy a license. Does anyone know where one gets such a license and how much it would cost?
Technically easy because we all have the tools; audio/MIDI sequencers, synths, etc. As far as licensing, we'd buy them from a Performing Rights Society (PRS) like BMI, ASCAP, or SESAC if we wanted to go that route. But do we? The entire purpose of doing a podcast would be to promote the artists on electro-music media TM and electro-music members. If any are members of any of the PRSs, then, as the copyright owners, they'd grant their permission to use the selected piece in a specific podcast. No fees required!
mosc wrote:
How would we produce the programs. Should we put together a team of editors/producers?
Absolutely. Choose a host for the show and hosts for each segment of the show. (Listen to how Fake Science Lab Report is done. It's a perfect example.) Each host would be responsible for producing their own segment of the show from writing the copy, to recording their voice, to playing a selected track or snippet. One leader would be responsible for coordination and final show assembly and installation on the server. (People who have high speed connections will have an easier time with uploading their segments.)

By the way, the June 12 FSLR has an interview with Roger Linn who talks about his experience as a musician and a hardware/software designer. Roger is the world renowned designer who developed the LinnDrum, the Akai MPC series and the AdrenaLinn. I encourage all to listen to it if you're interested in making podcasts or if you're interested in the digital music world.
Quote:
The Lab Report is a bi-weekly podcast that covers current topics in the digital music industry and features new and exciting artists from all genres. Every show will have a different guest to talk about their experience in the industry and where the future will lead us all. Join the Fake Scientists and their friends at the first of every month.

Cheers,

RFBB

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Mark and I had the opportunity to have an interview podcasted by our one of our local media sponsers here in the Tri-Cities (TN). Below is a link to it if anyone would like to download this file. Perhaps this can allow some insight into what to do, or rather not to do with a file such as this.
Personally, I too agree that the podcast is on it's way to becoming a very essential tool. The marketing opportunites are obvious, but I think that it will lend itself to artists that frequently post new downloads on their websites for their fans etc.
What I am really interested in is the shoutcast... enlighten me.

Feel free:
http://www.gotricities.com/music/

I would like to hear your response or views on this particular podcast. Thanks

M.Peck
www.mpeckmusic.blogspot.com
www.reverbnation.com/echotomb
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Michael, thanks for the link - I'm listening to this now.

On the fly impression.

The announcer is not very intereting. He starts of with his resume. If you hadn't given me a heads up, I would not have listened to this for very long. At least I can skip ahead to try to find your interview. Wish there were bookmarks or indexes in this.

---Time passes---

The interview was enjoyable, mostly because I know you guys and it was good to hear your voices again. I'm glad that connection to jazz music was mentioned - I think that is often overlooked. Now the music is starting. Again, I wish there were bookmarks.

---Time passes---

Great track. I like it

Second interview...

Ok, I stopped it to get on with things.

This is too long IMHO. I would have enjoyed it better not as one big mp3, but as a m3u playlist, so I could jump to what interested me, and I could save just the parts I wanted. I can't imagine wanting to keep long programs on portable mp3 player, or on my computer.

RFBB

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I agree with you 100%. It is rather long, it could have been condensed a lot. I think Mark and I tend to drag on and on. But maybe because it's us?
.m3u would be a much better option to allow the bookmarking. I will pass that information along and thank you very much much for your honesty.
By the way, I have a disc containing some high res. pictures of EM05 I would like to send to you. Could you PM me your addy? Thanks, I hope your doing fine.

M.Peck
www.mpeckmusic.blogspot.com
www.reverbnation.com/echotomb
djfoxyfox
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mosc wrote:
This is too long IMHO. I would have enjoyed it better not as one big mp3, but as a m3u playlist, so I could jump to what interested me, and I could save just the parts I wanted. I can't imagine wanting to keep long programs on portable mp3 player, or on my computer.
The point of podcasting is that you listen to it when you desire (on-demand radio programming) rather than tuning in at a specific day and time. It's like using TiVo or a VCR to time delay a program. You record it, you watch it, you dump it. These things aren't meant to be stored. Same with podcasts. Listen and dump.

As far as length is concerned, that's something you can control when you design your own podcast. My Galactic Travels radio show is on at 11 pm every Thursday and runs two hours. You must listen when it's on the air. You can listen or change the station or turn off the radio. But you'll miss something if you do. By contrast, a podcast can be listened to at any time you desire at your convenience and you can fast forward and rewind to your heart's content. Listener #1 doesn't have to listen to it when Listener #2 is listening, either. Those are two distinct events and can be years apart!

By the way, if the FSLR is too long for your tastes, please suffer through it one time because it is very well done. It is an example of a GOOD show. Despite my dialup modem, I listen religiously. I'd be interested in hearing what you folks like and don't like about it

Cheers,

mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I understand the fact that it is downloadable and you listen and throw it away. You say you can fwd and rewind all you want, but it is difficult with no pointers.

If you think it is worth listening to one of the FakeLab shows, please point me to a good one. Smile I did start one of them but it didn't keep my interest.

EDMCast

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

In regards to podcasting, we've just set up a new EDM-only podcast specifically for unsigned EMD tracks. If you are insterested in contrinuting to the show (or actually doing an EDM cast outright) just find the contact details on the website

http://www.EDMCast.com

Note - we are amateurs at this, so don't expect pro material, we're trying just like everyone else. If you can do better, then please, send it in.

My msn etc is on my profile.

Page 1 of 1 [18 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » How-tos
Jump to: