electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Discussion » Schmooze
The Garden
Page 13 of 23 [557 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, ..., 21, 22, 23 Next
PHOBoS

Audio files: 705

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

good luck, may your endeavors be fruitful !

I probably won't be able to grow anything this year Sad

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
JovianPyx

Audio files: 224

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

Time flies like a banana.
Fruit flies when you're having fun.
BTW, Do these genes make my ass look fat?
corruptio optimi pessima
MusicMan11712

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

PHOBoS wrote:
I probably won't be able to grow anything this year Sad

Very sorry to hear; I enjoy the photographic fruits of your horticultural efforts.
AlanP

Audio files: 41

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

AlanP wrote:
Dill first, then the chives appeared, and the parsley is just now putting in an appearance.

Just to update on this -- I had moved the pot inside to just inside the kitchen ranchslider, and the dill completely took over the pot and shot up to two meters tall, so I moved the pot to an outside corner of the garden.

The parsley has a couple of leaves sticking out here and there, but is otherwise buried under lots and lots of dill.

The chives might be there. I have no idea whatsoever. If they are, they're buried under dill too.
PHOBoS

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

ah so there wil be dill on the menu: egg and dill; egg bacon and dill; egg bacon sausage and dill; dill bacon sausage and dill; dill egg dill dill bacon and dill; dill sausage dill dill bacon dill tomato and dill; dill dill dill egg and dill; dill dill dill dill dill dill baked beans dill dill dill,..

got any photos ? Smile

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
AlanP

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

No, I didn't think to take any. After I moved the pot outside, I found that the dill had also carpetbombed the vinyl around it in the kitchen with pollen.
PHOBoS

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I already mentioned it in the chat but the building is being renovated which is estimated to take about a year and I had to clear out my balcony. Rolling Eyes
I managed to move the plants (and bees) to my parents so I might still post some photos and since they are getting more light they might do better too.

I did notice that there is something sprouting in the container with the Aquilegia (columbine). It did have an Aconitum (monkshood) in it but that one died
pretty quickly, or did it ? Whatever is sprouting does look a bit like it but I find it hard to imagine that it actually survived. Would be great if it did but we'll
see.

balcony 2020 - 01.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  327.37 KB
 Viewed:  292 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

balcony 2020 - 01.jpg

balcony 2020 - 03.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  428.23 KB
 Viewed:  269 Time(s)

balcony 2020 - 03.jpg

AlanP

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Any comments from the neighbours on your garden?
PHOBoS

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

no, never got any comments on it. There is of course a wall between me and my neighbour
and on the other side is the corner apartment which doesn't have the balcony on the backside.

JovianPyx

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I hope for you that they improve some things that matter to you.

Take heart, once they are finished, you can restore the beautiful garden you had before and probably then some knowing you.

I just noticed this: happy smoker won't be growing that anymore.

I have 14 pepper seedlings still in 7 peat moss pots, but doing well. I may try to knife cut those in half and plant all 14. Technically, I know that I should just sacrifice the weaker one in each pot, but I hate doing that.

I got my tomato seeds sprouted. 3 plants out of 4 seeds each in it's own tiny peat moss pot. They are a hybrid that are the size of a cherry tomato, but more pest and disease resistant. I ordered 3 more big plastic pots for plants.

I've found I can grow decent vegetables in pots and weeds are a minor thing. My yard is otherwise more weeds than grass. It's green, but don't try to clear a spot and plant stuff. The weeds move in quickly and choke everything. Desert stuff tends to be aggressive. I do like seeing the praying mantises though. If I can get a photo of one, I will certainly post it here.

corruptio optimi pessima
PHOBoS

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks Scott Smile

I don't think there will be any improvements for me though, quite the opposite actually but I don't really have a choice in the matter (unless I finally move out).

I also hate discarding weaker plants, I'd feel bad for them once they have sprouted but I am probably anthrophomorphizing them too much.
A raised bed might work in your case to keep the weeds out a bit but it is of course extra work. Pots have their advantages and as long as you
choose them big enough they function just as well and might even be better for annual plants. They could dry out a bit quicker but that can also
be an advantage. At least peppers prefer some dry soil with an occasional good soak.

I'd love to see some praying mantis pics. I don't think we have them in the wild over here unless they escaped from somewhere. Actually I don't
think I ever saw one IRL, maybe they have them at a specialized pet store.

PHOBoS

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

There is actually something I am growing this year, apart from the plants that I moved to my parents. It's a bit of an experiment and I have no idea
if it will be succesful but I planted 20 of the bulbils from the Tiger Lily to see if they would do something. I am not exactly sure when I put them in the
ground but probably about a month ago. I put them on the window sill in my bedroom which gets the most light at the moment and I noticed 2 of them
had sprouted. On closer inspection there are actually already 14 sprouting but most are still very small. I don't think they produce any flowers in the first
year just a bit of foliage and mostly roots to feed the bulb.

The main bulb itself was dug up and placed in a smaller container inside just like last year and when I dug it up I noticed it had split. I had a look at it
today to see how it is doing but instead of producing a lot of roots, which it did last year, it has already started producing 2 stalks one of which was starting
to breach the surface. It's probably due to the very mild winter, if you can even call it that. So I placed it back in its original pot so it has more room to
grow. I'll keep it inside for now but I'll have to move it to my parents when it starts to get above the surface otherwise it won't get enough light.
Btw. I generally don't have any heating on so it's not particularly warm inside (about 13C at the moment).

20200219 - Lilium tigrinum Flore Pleno - 02.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  296.59 KB
 Viewed:  137 Time(s)

20200219 - Lilium tigrinum Flore Pleno - 02.jpg

PHOBoS

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

PHOBoS wrote:
I did notice that there is something sprouting in the container with the Aquilegia (columbine). It did have an Aconitum (monkshood) in it but that one died
pretty quickly, or did it ? Whatever is sprouting does look a bit like it but I find it hard to imagine that it actually survived. Would be great if it did but we'll
see.

I had another look at it and made a photo to compare it to how it looked last year and I am 99,9999999% sure now it is indeed the Aconitum. Shocked
No idea how it actually survived or rather why it completely died of above ground last year but I guess life, uh, finds a way.

jackson dancing banana wave banana jackson dancing

let's hope it will keep growing.

for reference here's the photo from last year
Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.

btw. as most who read this thread probably know I grow a couple of poisonous plants but this one actually scares me a bit.

20200220 - Aconitum - 01.jpg
 Description:
"monkshood"
 Filesize:  375.78 KB
 Viewed:  126 Time(s)

20200220 - Aconitum - 01.jpg

PHOBoS

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The Aquilegia that's sharing the pot with the Aconitum is also still alive and showing some new growth. Apparently I never took any photos of the Atropa belladonna
plants last year but they are still alive. They didn't get a lot of light last year and didn't grow much but they will get plenty of light this year. I've tried to grow them
a couple of times over the last 15 years or so without success and now I even have 2 rare varieties. Note that the ones in the smaller pots were actually backup plants
but I guess I now just have 6 plants (and they can get big if you give them enough space).

20200220 - Aquilegia 'Silver Queen' - 01.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  440.78 KB
 Viewed:  114 Time(s)

20200220 - Aquilegia 'Silver Queen' - 01.jpg

20200220 - Atropa belladonna - 01.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  491.71 KB
 Viewed:  100 Time(s)

20200220 -  Atropa belladonna - 01.jpg

20200220 - Atropa belladonna - 02.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  662.13 KB
 Viewed:  106 Time(s)

20200220 -  Atropa belladonna - 02.jpg

20200220 - Atropa belladonna var. lutea - 01.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  344 KB
 Viewed:  101 Time(s)

20200220 - Atropa belladonna var. lutea - 01.jpg

20200220 - Atropa komarovii turkmenistan - 01.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  481.45 KB
 Viewed:  91 Time(s)

20200220 - Atropa komarovii turkmenistan - 01.jpg

Last edited by PHOBoS on Fri Feb 21, 2020 2:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
PHOBoS

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The pulmonaria is already starting to form flower buds Shocked It didn't do great last year (but had a lot of flowers) probably because it shared its rather small
container with the large Solanum dulcamara. However, because I had to move them I had to transplant them to a different container so I could put the trellis
in it too (originally that was placed in the large black container next to it). They're still together but have a lot more space now and will also get more light so ehm,
something might get BIG.

Also the Viola odorata is already flowering, it's always early but now even more so with these mild temperatures.

20200220 - Pulmonaria - 01.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  406.21 KB
 Viewed:  82 Time(s)

20200220 - Pulmonaria - 01.jpg

20200220 - Viola odorata - 01.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  341.5 KB
 Viewed:  88 Time(s)

20200220 - Viola odorata - 01.jpg

20200220 - Viola odorata - 02.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  237.14 KB
 Viewed:  88 Time(s)

20200220 - Viola odorata - 02.jpg

AlanP

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I love the delicate tracery of purple in the last photo Smile
PHOBoS

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Dieffenbachia

Last year I got a Dieffenbachia (dumb cane) for inside. It was in the section with the small plants but they can actually get pretty big.
here's a photo for reference how it looked when I just got it.

Dieffenbachia on the left with the large variegated leaves

It has grown a bit and produced some new shoots, one of them being rather large so I decided to plant that one in a seperate pot.
I also removed 2 other shoots and put those in a sperate pot as well. so now I have 3 pots with Dieffenbachia(s ?). When I have a
couple of the same plants I always like to use the same pots for them. I looked at what pots I had and found a set of 3 with a good
size. They are only slightly larger than the pot it was in but it wasn't really rootbound so that should be ok. I covered the drainage
holes with some plastic mesh and added a small layer of clay pellets for improved drainage. One of the shoots came of without roots
but they should be easy to root although it might drop some leaves.

20200224 - Dieffenbachia - 01.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  365.57 KB
 Viewed:  76 Time(s)

20200224 - Dieffenbachia - 01.jpg

20200224 - Dieffenbachia - 02.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  373.02 KB
 Viewed:  83 Time(s)

20200224 - Dieffenbachia - 02.jpg

20200224 - Dieffenbachia - 03.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  480.26 KB
 Viewed:  82 Time(s)

20200224 - Dieffenbachia - 03.jpg

20200224 - Dieffenbachia - 04.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  411.11 KB
 Viewed:  78 Time(s)

20200224 - Dieffenbachia - 04.jpg

20200224 - Dieffenbachia - 05.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  361.62 KB
 Viewed:  75 Time(s)

20200224 - Dieffenbachia - 05.jpg

PHOBoS

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Now that I finally have some belladonna plants there is another witches' plant I'd really like to add to the collection; Mandragora (mandrake).
However the seeds are not very easy to obtain (although not too hard to find either), usually sold in low quantities and somewhat expensive.
They're also not very easy to germinate so with only a few seeds the chance of success is rather slim. I got curious if I could find some seeds
for a reasonable price at some dutch online shops and looked around a bit. I did find some but as expected in low quanitites and/or a bit too
expensive.

Another place to look for seeds is ebay but you have to be careful. There are a lot of fake seeds sold, especially from china. Some are easy to
spot because they sell seeds for flowers in all kinds of odd color combinations. One you see often is the rainbow colored rose, which does exist
but is artificially created (some photos are definitely fake though). Searching for rainbow seeds gives a lot of silly examples.
There are also a lot of genuine seed sellers on ebay, generally just avoid china and check what else they sell as the good ones are usually
specialized in seeds and plants only. You can also check the feedback and how long a seller has been around.

After some searching I came accross a seller from spain who offered 30 seeds for only $1.65. Shipping was $2.17 but ordering more seeds
didn't add any additional costs so I was curious if they sold something else I'd be interested in. For some reason the ebay shop didn't show
any items for me although there should be 1377 according to ebay but after a quick google search I found a website from the same seller.
I had a look around and although I didn't see much that I was interested in I did find Hyoscyamus albus which is white henbane. I'm only familiar
with (and have grown) Hyoscyamus niger which is black henbane. By searching for Hyoscyamus albus on ebay I managed to find a listing from the
same seller so I ordered those as well. That was last thursday and they arrived today Razz .

The seeds need cold stratification (just like the belladonna seeds) but since I have 30 of them and only have space for 1 plant I can do some
experiments. So I think I will sow some directly in the ground, put some in the fridge and keep some for next year just in case. The henbane
came in a package of 500 seeds but I probably save those for next year since it is an annual and I can't really grow anything right now.

20200226 - Mandragora and Hyoscyamus seeds - 01.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  388.14 KB
 Viewed:  72 Time(s)

20200226 - Mandragora and Hyoscyamus seeds - 01.jpg

PHOBoS

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Something I haven't shown before are my 3 balls. They are Marimo moss balls which I bought of ebay a couple years ago from a UK seller.
Although generally referred to as moss balls they are actually an algae and in nature they get their spherical shape by rolling around due to
water currents. The ones you buy are usually hand formed though and I think it is actually illegal to collect them from the wild or at least in
some parts of the world.

I keep them in a fishbowl with some marbles (both found at a thrift store) and they are very easy to take care of. They only require some sunlight
and of course water which you need to refresh once every other week. You could add some special fertilizer but that shouldn't be needed. However,
they also have to be moved around a bit otherwise they will just flatten out over time. Although you can move them by hand I opted for an air pump,
which I already had anyway. It is rather noisy though so I don't have it on very often but I did order a new pump a couple days ago which is supposed
to be very quiet. The air pump is connected to a (star shaped) air stone which produces a lot of bubbles that the balls seem to enjoy riding (I hope).
This also adds some extra CO2 and as a bonus it works a bit as a humidifier for other plants.

20200226 - Marimo moss balls - 01.jpg
 Description:
they're just 3 moss balls living in a fish bowl,..
 Filesize:  280.49 KB
 Viewed:  75 Time(s)

20200226 - Marimo moss balls - 01.jpg

20200226 - Marimo moss balls - 02.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  274.67 KB
 Viewed:  69 Time(s)

20200226 - Marimo moss balls - 02.jpg

JovianPyx

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Nice balls! Shocked Razz

Good to see you're still able to do plants. Horticulture is anxiety alleviating.

No pictures yet, not much to see, they're just tiny pepper and tomato seedlings. Hard to tell those apart so I have the containers marked. Some of the peppers are starting to get secondary leaves. I have 3 pretty equal looking tomato seedlings each in small square peat-moss pots. The pots can be separated, so I think I will try to plant one outside in the pot from last year that still has a petroleum jelly band around it (repels earwigs). It's long past a point where it could freeze, night temperatures have been 45F (7.2C) or higher. That way, I don't have to carry trays of seedlings in and out of the house. Not enough south facing windows to just grow them inside until they're too big. I'm hoping that growing the tomato in a pot restricts it's size. I'll still probably have to trim it. The problem with trimming is it's pretty difficult to cut a piece off that doesn't have flowers or even green fruit on it. It's like thinning seedlings - which I will do or I will have too many plants.

corruptio optimi pessima
PHOBoS

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

JovianPyx wrote:
Good to see you're still able to do plants. Horticulture is anxiety alleviating.

yeah, I find it to be rather therapeutic although sometimes it can be a bit stressful if things go wrong.

One tip for the tomato if you don't know already, plant it as deep as possible. It will form more roots along the stem
which will help it grow better but also adds stability. This also works for peppers to some degree.

The tiger lillies bulbils are growing nicely, they actually all sprouted but one is still too small to be visible in the photo.
I saw some roots sticking out through the bottom of the cells so I'll repot those to give them more space. I also found
a bonus bulbil lying on top of the soil which was starting to sprout, so I added that to the cell with the smallest one.

20200228 - Lilium tigrinum Flore Pleno - 03.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  303.68 KB
 Viewed:  76 Time(s)

20200228 - Lilium tigrinum Flore Pleno - 03.jpg

JovianPyx

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The weather here is cool/cold and drizzly, so I planted seedlings into some new large pots. The 4 pots have tomato, jalapeno pepper, serrano pepper and sweet pepper. The seedlings are about 1 inch tall. I put petroleum jelly around the outside of the pots to keep the earwigs out of them. I also have a 3rd year survivor jalapeno plant that is already flowering. Another pot has a garlic that looks quite healthy.

corruptio optimi pessima
AlanP

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2020 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I started another couple of little pots of chives and parsley, to try and take advantage of the last gasp of summer (and since the parsley and chives in the original pot wound up drowning under a green wave of dill.)

I put some "fertilizer" stuff in the bottom of the pots, before putting seed mix on top (the first pot had half potting mix, half seed mix, and no fertilizer... and I have a strong suspicion that the "fertilizer" is some kind of plant-killer, since absolutely nothing has grown. Just like the plantpot she tried to start, with the same fertilizer.) I think they're dead.

I'll have to try and grow some more herbs next year, I think.
PHOBoS

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

If you put fertilizer in the bottom it shouldn't really be a problem. Although if it is a shallow pot it could hurt seedlings after germination.
However some potting soils do have some sort of fungicide which might have an effect on germination. Could also be the seeds themselves
but judging by the results you already had they should be ok.

Solanum dulcamara is waking up, good to see it survived again, although I am not so worried about that anymore. It now has a larger pot
and gets more light so I am curious to see how well it will do.

Aquilegia 'Silver Queen' is looking good and the Pulmonaria has already opened some flowers. I hope it will do better again this year. It looked
gorgeous the first year but then didn't do so well, probably because of lack of root space/nutrients which it has more of now.

And with the temperature going up the bees have started to emerge.

oh and the tiger lily has also reached the surface,. I do see 3 shoots instead of 2 but I think one might just be a new plant emerging from a bulbil.

20200316 - Solanum dulcamara - 01.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  127.15 KB
 Viewed:  60 Time(s)

20200316 - Solanum dulcamara - 01.jpg

20200316 - Aquilegia 'Silver Queen' - 03.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  250.55 KB
 Viewed:  62 Time(s)

20200316 - Aquilegia 'Silver Queen' - 03.jpg

20200316 - Pulmonaria - 03.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  257.47 KB
 Viewed:  51 Time(s)

20200316 - Pulmonaria - 03.jpg

20200316 - bees - 01.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  260.64 KB
 Viewed:  61 Time(s)

20200316 - bees - 01.jpg

PHOBoS

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

here's a recent photo of the tiger lilies

20200318 - Lilium tigrinum Flore Pleno - 03.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  63.35 KB
 Viewed:  6338 Time(s)

20200318 - Lilium tigrinum Flore Pleno - 03.jpg

20200318 - Lilium tigrinum Flore Pleno - 04.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  84.42 KB
 Viewed:  6338 Time(s)

20200318 - Lilium tigrinum Flore Pleno - 04.jpg

Page 13 of 23 [557 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, ..., 21, 22, 23 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Discussion » Schmooze
Jump to: