electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » Reviews, Editorials and Commentary » Commentary and Editorials
What's the point in staying legit?
Page 1 of 1 [17 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Oskar

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 12:55 pm    Post subject: What's the point in staying legit? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I have a lil' ol' Pro Tools LE running on my lil' ol' Mac G4 800 MHz; All legit and proper. Yeah, yeah, I know I KNOW, what an idiot who doesn't use craked versions, okay, fair play to anybody who can point that out to me.
Anyhow, I stupidly decided to test a Cubase version (a non-commercial version to put it nicely), and since then I cant get me PTLE back in line, as every time I try to start it, I get a message that says "Digidesign hardware is in use by another application (-1133)"
Balls! I've erased all "irrelevant" software I've been able to hunt down on my Mac, un-installed and re-installed PTLE and CoreAudio several times, going both to version 6.7 and 6.9, but I still get that annoying message. This from a company that would have you believe that theirs is the best software and hardware you can buy. Tried to get support from the good people at Digidesign, but I apparently haven't registered my ProTools. I have, but not the correct way, so now they view me as a criminal who must be treated as scum of the earth. Fair enough, but I'm just about to give up on the whole computer based recording lark - you have to be a boffin, and I'm just an idiot who plays a few instruments to a reaonably high level. Bah! Humbug!

seraph
Editor
Editor

Audio files: 33
G2 patch files: 2

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Dear Oskar
I guess you'll have to reinstall your operating system because the "non-commercial" version of Cubase f***ed up your computer (core midi/audio) big time Exclamation I am sorry to tell you about it but I am quite sure I am right Crying or Very sad Stein, what do you think?

Quote:
Don't die with your music still in you - Wayne Dyer
elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I am fairly sure this can be fixed. I have seen this reported ( I know more about the symptomps than what Oskar posted here ) on some lists. This has mainly to do about PTLE and not Cubase.

Oskar, first of all, create a new user, log in.. start PTLE and see what happens. We can look into this on tuesday? Bring the box and all your install CDs and codes and shit.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
Oskar

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Cheers! As always there's someone with a clearer head than mine. This was meant more as a bellow of reage against ALL manufacturers operating in the field of electronic music making, though. They insist on making sure you stay within THEIR clearly defined boundaries, and you must not stray from that. I don't understand why they insist on such rigid demarcation - if you work in Cubase you can only use vst, if you work in logic you can only work in au, if you work in ProTools you must work with RTAS (rat arse for short) and so on. BAH! HUMBUG! Evil or Very Mad
When I play, I like to mix and match (on a good night I make ABBA songs sound different - a sort of acoustic blues-punk-karaoke version with a dollop of unintentional atonality), but that's mucho mal in the world of DAWs. During the first few years of MIDI, I naively thought thta the musical instrument industry and outlying regions would continue working in such a way that you could buy pieces of gear from different manufacturers and make them work together (relatively) painlessly. Nowadays, with the logic of the computer world well and truly embedded in the musical world, it's each company for themselves, and you'd be lucky to be able to even share MIDI files between different applications.
Tossers, the lot of them! Clever tossers, by all means, but tossers al the same. Evil or Very Mad

seraph
Editor
Editor

Audio files: 33
G2 patch files: 2

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Oskar wrote:
RTAS (rat arse for short)

not bad Twisted Evil Rolling Eyes

Quote:
Don't die with your music still in you - Wayne Dyer
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 211
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm amazed computers are as popular as they are. You bring up a couple of points.

In general, I have regretted using cracked versions of software. I usually get burned with some technical problem. About 15 years ago, I decided that if I'm going to seriously use a software product, I would buy it. I do this primarilly because:

1) I have a vested self-interest in the company staying in business.

2) When I need support, I need it immediately.

There are other reasons including that I try to live with as much integrity as possible.

I also made a decision that if I am going to seriously use a software product, I would keep current with the latest releases. I have found that when you call for support, the first question is "what version are you running?" and if the answer is not "the latest" then invariably their answer will be "upgrade and call us back".

These two rules, "Pay and Upgrade", combined with my inherent cheapness keep my software environment relatively simple and robust.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Kassen
Janitor
Janitor

G2 patch files: 3

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I do the same, except that for some purposes (mainly playing live) I´ll use the last verion I know for sure is stable instead of the latest per-se.
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 211
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yes, I guess it's an art form knowing when to actually use the new version. Sometimes, when the new verision is released, it can motivate one to stop seriously using the program.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Kassen
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I dunno, I don´t that much software. New Live´s will be anounced on the board there, there are email newsletters, etc. I occasionally check for new drivers.
dmosc

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

you know, this underlying problem of their being a point when the tool is simply too complex to be at all useful was very clear to me after Amy Newburg (sp)'s tech talk. I mean, she had stuff up there that could easily have been done "better" on a laptop but when she started explaining the level of reliance she had on "this being here" and "starts when I hit this" just made a computer next to impossible.

The level crap we put up with is amazing. This only works with this version, on this service pack of this program when it's overcast and between 30 and 32 degrees!
Oskar

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

dmosc wrote:
you know, this underlying problem of their being a point when the tool is simply too complex to be at all useful was very clear to me after Amy Newburg (sp)'s tech talk. I mean, she had stuff up there that could easily have been done "better" on a laptop but when she started explaining the level of reliance she had on "this being here" and "starts when I hit this" just made a computer next to impossible.

The level crap we put up with is amazing. This only works with this version, on this service pack of this program when it's overcast and between 30 and 32 degrees!

Well put that man! Except for leaving out the bit about the necessity for two virgins to assist in the proceedings, you're spot on! Cool

jksuperstar

Audio files: 1
G2 patch files: 18

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

At least every full moon, I kill two chickens and swing them over my head. Aside from the wonderful paint job I now have, I am also fairly demon free.

I wish some programs could take lessons from Engineering software, which is to say: There is no self-updating & modifying code. Any version is a complete stand-alone system, allowing one to install many versions side-by-side. Hard drives & storage are cheap these days-- time, however, is not. You can stick with what's working as long as you like, and if you come across a bug, you can run the "latest & greatest" just to see how it goes. If you still have a bug or misunderstood feature, by all means, call support. I also like a single configuration file (non-registry!!) that can be saved, edited, and chosen during program start. This is key to re-installing a system and getting it back the way you once had it. This should also be pointed out in any manual or help file the program may have.
Kassen
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

dmosc wrote:

I once saw this televangelist. He was standing in the middle of a crowded street. He had a fish in a fishbowl and a cardboard textblurb next to it said "i don´t need water". He explained this was comparable to atheists. I´ll see about that when I die but for now I know for sure that writing that computers have become "simply too complex to be at all useful" while posting to a internet site is a lot like that fish.

Let´s not have a hard/soft debate here. Software can be tricky; so can grounding different systems of analogue modulars for stable coöperation be. They need less chickens but do require a steady supply of virgin blood. Be sure to only use Rh+: it atracks the negative charge of electrons.

dmosc

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

who said they were useless? No, computers are definately the greatest tool humanity has ever seen, but they do have their limits. Mass distributed hardware/software can only do so much though.
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 11
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

dmosc wrote:
No, computers are definately the greatest tool humanity has ever seen.

What? Greater than the Wheel?? ;)
paul e.

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

aren't computers made up of billions of little wheels... ? hehe
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 11
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

paul e. wrote:
aren't computers made up of billions of little wheels... ? hehe

and made with wheels too!!

IST NICHT FÜR GEWERKEN BEI DUMMKOPFEN. DER RUBBERNECKEN SIGHTSEEREN KEEPEN DAS COTTONPICKEN HÄNDER IN DAS POCKETS MUSS.
ZO RELAXEN UND WATSCHEN DER BLINKENLICHTEN.
Page 1 of 1 [17 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Reviews, Editorials and Commentary » Commentary and Editorials
Jump to: