electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » electro-music.com
EM website updates
Page 1 of 2 [31 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: 1, 2 Next
PHOBoS

Audio files: 705

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 9:59 am    Post subject: EM website updates
Subject description: suggestions
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I think there was already a thread like this before but I can't find it, maybe it was only discussed in the chatroom, but here goes.

With the addition of videostreaming in the works I think it might be a good time to update some other sections as well.
Overall I like the format and I don't think the site itself needs any big changes. One of the main things I've always appreciated
about it is that it just works very well (one of the few sites I have always been able to use with Firefox 3.6) and it doesn't have
a lot of unnecessary distracting nonsense going on. Visually all the different hues of blue go together well and I do find it
pleasing to the eyes. Maybe a dark theme could be nice too but that's not really important. Now that I am writing this post I do
notice that the buttons for the BBCode are spread apart, it would look nicer without any space between them but I have no idea
how much can be customized.

a HTTPS version of the site would be very welcome which is already being discussed here.

The frontpage, where new visitors will probably end up sooner or later could use some updates:
- remove or at least update the store section, the most recent item is from 2006 (and those are the "New products")
I don't even know how much is actually still availble besides the AmbiophonicDSP plugin which has a seperate section anyway (please remove the text "News 27/Oct/09" above it) .
- News and other sections are also very outdated, basically the whole frontpage is.
- The welcome text might need a little update too (or at least remove the text "electro-music is new music; still undefined; happening all over our planet." There is also no mention of the chatroom and maybe streaming events deserve a mention too.
- Some links in the information section take you to the store which I guess is where the info is stored but it is a bit annoying if I click on a link and my mouse is now hovering over a different section.
- remove empty space from the radio schedule/playlist.
- Maybe a section with the most recent forum posts could be added to the front page too since that is the most active part of EM.

Having mentioned that I like how the site looks I do feel that things sometimes seem to get a bit lost being plain text. For example the
text "Live streaming at radio.electro-music.com" is a bit floathing around and might look better if it is part of the MOTD below it.
Also an
embedded player for radio 1 might be nice there (is it possible to make a player with a drop down menu for the other channels ?)

The Links section:
- haven't really tested this but knowing the internet there are probably a lot of dead links,. I actually never visited it before.

The wiki:
- can the logo be changed so that it is the same as the rest of the site ?
- I just updated a couple of the radio sections but there is probably some more stuff that needs updating.
- overall it looks good, thanks jan! (although I do find the formatting rather difficult)

Media:
- maybe split it in sections per year as it is quite a lot to load at once. (but please don't do the infinite scrolling thing!)

I am not sure what section I landed on a while ago but it was full of spelling errors. So maybe it's good that I can't find it now.
edit: might have been this one: http://electro-music.com/affiliates.php

these are mere suggestions and I will be adding more if I think of something.

Last edited by PHOBoS on Sat May 23, 2020 4:15 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
PHOBoS

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

how much of this is still valid ? http://electro-music.com/wiki/pmwiki.php?n=Site.Chatroom
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
PHOBoS

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

this one also needs to be updated: http://electro-music.com/forum/mycalendar.php
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

PHOBoS wrote:
how much of this is still valid ? http://electro-music.com/wiki/pmwiki.php?n=Site.Chatroom

Fixed it - more or less.

PHOBoS wrote:
this one also needs to be updated: http://electro-music.com/forum/mycalendar.php

Removed the Jez & Rob thing

PHOBoS wrote:

Check .. it's not quite what I would want it to be, code wise, but seems to do the job.

PHOBoS wrote:
Having mentioned that I like how the site looks I do feel that things sometimes seem to get a bit lost being plain text. For example the
text "Live streaming at radio.electro-music.com" is a bit floathing around and might look better if it is part of the MOTD below it.

Ok .. integrated it a bit more ...

the text: host / artis .. show ... at your time

should only show when there actually is a show ... I don't have the guts tho to fix that .. I think .. I'll look at it though. Ok, that seems fixed too now.

PHOBoS wrote:

The wiki:
- can the logo be changed so that it is the same as the rest of the site ?
- I just updated a couple of the radio sections but there is probably some more stuff that needs updating.

The logo .. I need a logo with transparency or it will not work ... the standard logo has a white background which sucks on the wiki ... when someone would be so kind to have the patience to make it into a transparent background one (preferably with a tiny bit of drop shadow ...) .. I'd change it. Anyway .. I've just found out again why I made a new one for it ;-)

I've changed the main radio page on the wiki to have all current stations.

Last edited by blue hell on Sat May 23, 2020 6:12 am; edited 6 times in total
PHOBoS

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks jan thumleft
Grumble

Audio files: 30

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Would be great if youtube can be embedded 😳
blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Grumble wrote:

I can be ... when you right click on a youtube movie you can get some code to paste into a post (use copy embed code).

Edit: removed example.

Last edited by blue hell on Sat May 23, 2020 3:45 am; edited 1 time in total
Grumble

Audio files: 30

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Blue Hell wrote:
Grumble wrote:

It can be ... when you right click on a youtube movie you can get some code to paste into a post (use copy embed code)

👍🏻
Thanks, didn’t know that...

blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I've moved a bit of clutter to my top reply here .. to have it all in one place.
PHOBoS

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Blue Hell wrote:
The logo .. I need a logo with transparency or it will not work ... the standard logo has a white background which sucks on the wiki ... when someone would be so kind to have the patience to make it into a transparent background one (preferably with a tiny bit of drop shadow ...) .. I'd change it.

take your pick.

note that this has the same dimensions as the original logo which is 430x42, the wiki logo was 430x45 (also it's a png instead of a gif)

electro-music logo - tranparent.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  6.55 KB
 Viewed:  7621 Time(s)

electro-music logo - tranparent.png

electro-music logo - tranparent shading.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  9.68 KB
 Viewed:  7621 Time(s)

electro-music logo - tranparent shading.png

electro-music logo - wiki shading.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  9.63 KB
 Viewed:  7622 Time(s)

electro-music logo - wiki shading.png

PHOBoS

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Blue Hell wrote:
PHOBoS wrote:

Check .. it's not quite what I would want it to be, code wise, but seems to do the job.

oh you did it on the radio page, I meant the front page, that also does look better though Very Happy

Blue Hell wrote:
PHOBoS wrote:

Ok .. integrated it a bit more ...

hmm, yes and no. it is kind of what I had in mind but it is a bit too intrusive now. Does look a bit better if you use the lighter shade of blue #DEE3E7
I think I am going to mess around a bit with it in photoshop.

blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

PHOBoS wrote:
oh you did it on the radio page, I meant the front page, that also does look better though Very Happy

oooh Shocked we have a front page Exclamation heh .. I never go there.

Hmm ... I can not easily fix it there ... all I can do is make the boxes smaller .. but they are fixed size ... so they will get a scrollbar when it won't fit ... anyway .. did that ... it is a forum post being displayed there as an article .. and the amount of trickery allowed in a forum post is very limited .. maybe some clever CSS, but can't come up with anything yet.

And thanks for the logos! will put one in Cool

PHOBoS

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yeah I don't visit the fornt page myself either and it is the most outdated part.
The radio schedule looks much better now, and I actually like the scrollbar. Thanks!

messed around in photoshop a bit with the MOTD, here's a suggestion
(I see you are working on it too)

electro-music MOTD - old.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  129.13 KB
 Viewed:  226 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

electro-music MOTD - old.png

electro-music MOTD - new.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  129.13 KB
 Viewed:  240 Time(s)

electro-music MOTD - new.png

blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

PHOBoS wrote:
(I see you are working on it too)

Yeah .. issue is .. colors need to work on the radio page as well, so made it even lighter, but it has an 'inverted' effect now on the radio page ... will mess a bit with the layout too now ...

PHOBoS

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

here's another one, I will check how it looks on the radio page too.

edit: also why does the radio page have a different bakcground color ? Laughing

electro-music MOTD - new 2.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  129.61 KB
 Viewed:  119 Time(s)

electro-music MOTD - new 2.png

blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

PHOBoS wrote:

edit: also why does the radio page have a different bakcground color ? Laughing

because Evil or Very Mad

Ok .. I'm done toying with it for now .. any better now?

PHOBoS

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

a lot better, thanks Smile

I tried a small darker border around it which also works on both pages but I might like your version better.

electro-music MOTD - new 3.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  129.7 KB
 Viewed:  93 Time(s)

electro-music MOTD - new 3.png

blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Edit 2: there are two radio logos at the bottom that are ... hmm .. could use some work ... but erm .. I'm not so good with image editors .. I do have sort of sources for the other five .. if needed .. so .. if someone could have a go at those please?

PHOBoS wrote:
heh, I actually started on trying that. I can't seem to find the exact font jake used but probably have something similar.
Can redo all of them for consistency which isn't that much work once I have it setup. If you have some source files that would be great.
I could also try a completely different design of course.

oh shit, I pressed edit instead of quote Embarassed

PHOBoS

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

a reply just so you know I tried to reply.
enjoy your dinner, I'll have more tea

blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Oooh .. nice mess pho :p

Sources, I'll send you a PM with what I got from Jake and how I messed with it a bit.

Edit: have sent.

PHOBoS

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Radio6 and Radio7 logos. Wasn't sure what color to pick for Chez Mosc but this works. I can try something else if you have suggestions.

nice speaker Very Happy

em_radio6_smal.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  10.42 KB
 Viewed:  7503 Time(s)

em_radio6_smal.png

em_radio7_small.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  8.7 KB
 Viewed:  7503 Time(s)

em_radio7_small.png

blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Djeez .. that was fast .. will put 'm in, they look great!

And yeah .. fiddling a bit with the details .. done fiddling now I think ...

PHOBoS

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

another suggestion but front page related so that's howards buisness.

move or copy the affiliate partners text that's at the bottom to the Contribute To Our Site section which also has the paypal link.
The affiliates page should be updated first though. Might also want to add Patreon as that's what the kids are into these days Laughing
I've never looked into it myself so I don't exactly know how it works and what the terms and conditions are.

PHOBoS

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

here's an avatar for the noodleradio in case you want one.

noodleradio avatar.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  29.64 KB
 Viewed:  7483 Time(s)

noodleradio avatar.png

noodleradioavatarc.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  31.94 KB
 Viewed:  7483 Time(s)

noodleradioavatarc.png

blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Nice ones PHOBoS, need to think about how to get one in .. its a bit of a non standard radio ... had been looking at that empty space myself already too ...
Page 1 of 2 [31 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: 1, 2 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » electro-music.com
Jump to: