electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Conway's Game of Life
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 5 of 8 [178 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 Next
PHOBoS

Audio files: 705

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

hmm, I don't see how an extra EPROM would be needed. You'd need a counter to control that EPROM, and if you have a counter
you can control the shiftregister directly with it. But maybe you have something entirely different in mind.

anyway,..
player 3 has entered the game

Also 1x12 pin female angled doesn't seem as standard as I was expecting. They do exist and apparently 1x11 pin does too
I just haven't found a seller yet that has them. 1x10 pin and some extra connectors for power would be nice because then
I could get 40 pin male parts and just divide those in 4 sections. Cost wise a 1x15 pin might be a better option though.
That also gives me some extra pins for other signals.

I also thought about double row headers but I have to design the PCBs in such a way that they can accommodate different
headers (male/female, angled/straight). Since they sit at a different distance from the edge of the board I need to make
multiple rows of holes on the edges and I think routing those will be much easier with a single row header.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
PHOBoS

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2020 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It's starting to take shape. I need to clean it up but at least sofar everything is routed.

GOL 4 CELL EPROM CB V1_0 REV 1_0.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  69.76 KB
 Viewed:  206 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

GOL 4 CELL EPROM CB V1_0 REV 1_0.png

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2020 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hmm .. I wonder .. how ... where ... did those eight legged creatures creep in, what are they? not venomous I hope?
PHOBoS

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2020 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Those eight legged creatures are 555's to create a toggle function for the buttons.
Pretty harmless but I did place them a bit on a diet.

blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2020 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ah, should just have followed the traces maybe as I did see the switches .. hmm .. hungry eh .. well so am I!

Pizza time Laughing

PHOBoS

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I got something in the mail today Cool

I've also received the LEDs which is giving me a slight problem. The green is a bit too dim for my liking
at least when driven directly from the 4070. The red is fine and even bright enough with a much lower current.
At the moment I use a 6K8 resistor for the red and 680 ohms for the green which somewhat works but the green
is pulling down the voltage more than I would like (which in turn reduces the current). There isn't a big difference
in forward voltage btw.

The best solution is probably to use some transistors which I tested on my breadboard and it works fine.
Of course I can't do that with these boards without cutting traces but there is another way which helps:
piggybacking 2 XOR chips pig so I could do that for now since these boards are mainly for testing the
concept since I don't even know if it will work. I did manage to change the design and add 4 transistors to it
so if it does work the next batch will have them.

I don't have all the componens yet (mainly need the connectors) but I will probably test something this weekend
or sooner so that if it works I can order the next batch of boards as soon as possible. If it doesn't work I have some
nice coasters.

GoL 4 CELL EPROM PCB - 01.jpg
 Description:
V1.0 REV1.0 front
 Filesize:  388.86 KB
 Viewed:  214 Time(s)

GoL 4 CELL EPROM PCB - 01.jpg

GoL 4 CELL EPROM PCB - 02.jpg
 Description:
V1.0 REV1.0 back
 Filesize:  407.98 KB
 Viewed:  208 Time(s)

GoL 4 CELL EPROM PCB - 02.jpg

blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

ah nice, the hexagon cube is cool (:-)
PHOBoS

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

That's METATRON'S CUBE. Metatron being the angel of life (or sometimes death).
It has a bit more lines than usual as I based it on this video.

blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Oh, I had no idea Laughing but it seems appropriate for the thing you are making Cool

Nice demo in that video to derive projections of the platonic solids .. the last one with the pentagons seems a bit arbitrary, although it is related to that thing with 12 surfaces .. I always forget the names ... can only count to about deca in greek Confused

Anyways .. back to my own poly thingies .. a patch with five voices .. cross connecting the voices with my new poly shifter .. which takes the sound from one voice and tele-beams it to another one .. that is very platonic too Rolling Eyes

PHOBoS

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

polyhedron, polyphonic, it's all greek to me. Laughing

dodecahedron is the one with 12 sides. 'do' reminds me of duo or double (probably all related) so you get 2 and 10 (deca).
after that it's just trideca, tetradeca, pentadeca etc,.
now that I think about 11 and 12 seem to be somewhat different in many languages (also related of course).
well, actually I don't even know that many languages. Maybe we should switch to a duodecimal based system
(had to look that up and see there it is; duo Very Happy) useful with music and time and rotations.

oh and here's a nice 3D version of Metatron's cube.

edit: oh dear, here I go tumbling DOwn a rabbit hole again albino

Grumble

Audio files: 30

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
The green is a bit too dim for my liking

Maybe you are partially colorblind? 🙈

Quote: The different anomalous conditions are protanomaly, which is a reduced sensitivity to red light, deuteranomaly which is a reduced sensitivity to green light and is the most common form of colour blindness and tritanomaly which is a reduced sensitivity to blue light and is extremely rare.

PHOBoS

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I've never had any problems with color blindness tests but judge for yourself.

supply voltage: 5V
resistors: 5.1K
forward voltage RED LED: 1.77V
forward voltage GREEN LED: 1.83V

a camera isn't the best tool for this of course and they both show up a bit brighter on the photo.

GoL 4CELL EPROM - RG LED comparison.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  226.43 KB
 Viewed:  88 Time(s)

GoL 4CELL EPROM - RG LED comparison.jpg

Grumble

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

They look equal brightness to me 😂😂😂
blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Grumble wrote:
They look equal brightness to me 😂😂😂

Maybe you have a heightened sensitivity to red light?

Grumble

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.
PHOBoS

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

clown

arewedoingfunniesnow.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.3 MB
 Viewed:  69 Time(s)

arewedoingfunniesnow.png

PHOBoS

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I am too tired and it's too warm to really test it right now, but it didn't go up in smoke
and I can toggle the LEDs on/off so that's something. Cool

GoL 4CELL EPROM - stuffed PCB.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  385.86 KB
 Viewed:  61 Time(s)

GoL 4CELL EPROM - stuffed PCB.jpg

blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Warm .. yeah .. I went into a "build but do not test" phase as well here.

Some wind would be cool too ..

And I still didn't spot that comet thing Shocked

Anyways, nice white LEDs!

PHOBoS

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Blue Hell wrote:
Anyways, nice white LEDs!

white, right,. (that's green with 680 ohm Laughing )

although I feel like my brain is only working at 10% capacity with these temperatures I managed to get the PCB hooked up to my breadboarded circuit.
Took me a bit of time to figure out an easy way to GND all the unused inputs(neighbors) on the PCB as they don't have pulldown resistors.
I was initially thinking of putting some connectors on the PCB and then make some other connectors I could plug onto those with the correct pins grounded,
but I didn't really want to waste any connectors and they would be rather difficult to desolder. It's also only 6 pins that need to be grounded (4 can already
be grounded with jumpers). Eventually I realized that I could just solder in some wire jumpers which are also easy to remove if I need to.

With the PCB connected to the breadboard it has 8 cells in total of which 4 are interacting between PCB and breadboard. Initially it wasn't working 100%
but I wasn't even sure if it should and was already expecting that it might need some changes. However after closer inspection I noticed something odd;
the circuit on the PCB and breadboard behaved somewhat different. I should have spotted this before but it appeared that the breadboarded circuit actually
reacted to a high to low clk transition aswell which the PCB didn't (and it shouldn't). I had another look at the schematic and the datasheet of the flipflops but
nope, it should not do that. Eventually I figured out that the problem was with the EPROM testboard (the perf one) which has an LED connected to the CLK
input through a 470 ohm resistor. As soon as I removed the LEDs (they're in a socket) it didn't trigger on the high to low transition anymore.

So now it appears to be working, at least from what I tested so far but I can't really test that much with only 8 cells. I could solder up some more PCBs
and maybe I will but for the cube I won't use these boards and then I'd probably have to desolder some parts. I think I will first link the outer cells of the
breadboard to the PCB so that it wraps around in one direction and see how well that works. So far it actually looks promising Cool

blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Promising! Cool

Here is a nice cover of that song that always creeps into my head with weather like we have it now : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fIQkq2qJj9I

Grumble

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

too much coffee

190E4CFF-AF3B-4BC4-8D03-DC4C8BA8CBE5.jpeg
 Description:
 Filesize:  92.75 KB
 Viewed:  61 Time(s)

190E4CFF-AF3B-4BC4-8D03-DC4C8BA8CBE5.jpeg

PHOBoS

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

this week basically went like this but with much more sun
sunny sunny sunny sunny sunny sunny sunny sunny sunny sunny
sunny Rolling Eyes sunny scratch sunny dunno sunny thinking Surprised Very Happy sunny
sunny sunny sunny sunny sunny sunny sunny sunny sunny sunny

Initially I just couldn't get it to work and I wasn't sure if there was anything I could do about it but yesterday I realized
that I do have a resistor on the PCB that's not on the breadboard as it's not actually needed*. But apparently it affects the
timing a bit and the circuit is rather timing critical (also a reason why I am still not expecting it will fully work). Now I have
8 cells connected as a 2x4 matrix on a cylinder and after numerous tests it all seems to work as it should.

I'll solder up another board, probably later today, and test if it will still function with 12 cells.

*connected to the base of a transistor configured as an emitter follower

PHOBoS

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2020 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

it blinks! cyclops
blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2020 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It blinks Cool

No idea if it are the good blinks yet tho ... but it looked a bit like a .. hmm .. isnt that thing called a blinker?

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.

Seems so Exclamation

PHOBoS

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2020 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

if you remove the left column, bottom row and 4 squares in the top right corner you get what you see in the video.

the middle cell is yellow/orange because it has 2 live neighbors and is alive.
the outer cells are green because they have 3 live neighbors.

Last edited by PHOBoS on Sat Aug 15, 2020 3:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 5 of 8 [178 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Jump to: