electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Reviews, Editorials and Commentary » Commentary and Editorials
Top 5 Electronic Musicians...
Page 3 of 5 [116 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 Next
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Being all done & finished with the noodle soup I Just fired up White Noise, the concerto for synthesizer.

And I now realize that White Noise should be mentioned in this thread.

Actually I'd been wanting to listen to Softmachine, but that doesn't appear to be on my laptop, which is really odd, I mean it should be there, I have it in my car, everything that is in my car is on my laptop as well, or isn't it ??

Did I mention White Noise before ? White Noise should definitely be in here.

And they do have it so I noticed yesterday, noodle soup I mean, in my local super market. I could have simply bought some cans / tins of those, with chicken even ...

Shouldn't this be in Schmooze by now ?

Jan.
elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

..as in David Vorhaus and the BBC Electric Workshop? Agreed!

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
salo-t

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2005 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Nobody mentioned Future Sound of London yet? Their Lifeforms album was the one that really turned me into electronic music. I had listened Jarre before that, but the FSOL album really opened my ears as to what can be made with synthesizers and samplers.
jkn

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hmmm - top 5 is a bit tough, but here's a few in no order that have caught my ear, influenced me in some way, etc...

Herbie Hancock
The Beatles
Chick Corea
Stevie Wonder
Miles Davis
Cabaret Voltaire
Depeche Mode
Meat Beat Manifesto
Autechre
Steve Roach
Vidna Obmana
P-Funk
Plastikman
Basic Channel / Chain Reaction labels
FSOL
Pan Sonic
etc...
Oskar

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Oh, I forgot! the guys in 10cc; The vocal loops they created for the hit "I'm not in love" - regardless of what you think of the song itself (it HAS been played to death!) - was truly groundbreaking!
Himer

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Okay... top electronic musicians??!!??

Brian eno (no question)
Laurie Anderson
Miles Davis

well beyond them is a large group of artists i also like very much, but i mentioned these three because IMHO they invented totally new Forms of Popular/Serious/Whatsover-music.

Kassen
Janitor
Janitor

G2 patch files: 3

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Blue Hell wrote:

I named Deliah prominently, mainly beacuse of her work in that "band".

Stanley Pain

Audio files: 10
G2 patch files: 35

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Kassen wrote:
Blue Hell wrote:

I named Deliah prominently, mainly beacuse of her work in that "band".

for sure. Delia Derbyshire was THE person who had the vision (and work ethic) to put it all together. her work really set the standard for experimentalism when the BBC radiophonic workshop was in it's infancy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delia_Derbyshire

i mean... the Dr Who theme tune...

"Love without sound" really blew me away, especially for it's time.

Mark Spyby should be up there as well, for his contribution to effects processing and feedback loops.
IanBru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

That's a pretty tough one, you know!

Let me see...

1) Radiohead
2) Kraftwerk
3) Orbital
4) Aphex Twin
5) Mode selector
6) Mint Royale
7) New Order
Cool Four Tet
9) Autechre
10) Röyksopp

AWM

Audio files: 4

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

In no particular order, i'll mostly post artists that haven't allready been mentioned.

Thrones - The vovoder, the messed up industrial beats and other asorted heavily effect-drenched instruments. theres just something i love about thrones.

Lustmord - people have already sung praises of lustmord. but i'd like to advise people check out his album with the melvins called 'Pigs of the Roman Empire'.

Fat freddy's drop - purely exelent dub, not completely electronic because of all the live instruments, but i cant see why anyone wouldn't like this.

Boards of canada - What can i say, their music has the right to children.

Jel - I just love his droned out lo-fi hip-hop beats

mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 212
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Stanley Pain wrote:
Delia Derbyshire was THE person who had the vision (and work ethic) to put it all together. her work really set the standard for experimentalism when the BBC radiophonic workshop was in it's infancy.

I'm glad she got mentioned here. I've been listening to the original radio programs of The Hitchhikers Guide To The Galaxy and some of the stabs she put in that show are are tremendous.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Paddy Kingsland of the BBC Radiophonic Workshop provided music and sound effects for the series, including the theme music, a reworking of 'The Journey of the Sorcerer' by The Eagles. So.. I guess you appreciate the work of Paddy Kingsland too.

Very Happy

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 212
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

elektro80 wrote:
Paddy Kingsland of the BBC Radiophonic Workshop provided music and sound effects for the series, including the theme music,

Opps. Embarassed

I thought it was Delia Derbyshire. Well, Paddy did a great job... Confused

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Oskar

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Oskar wrote:
Oh, I forgot! the guys in 10cc; The vocal loops they created for the hit "I'm not in love" - regardless of what you think of the song itself (it HAS been played to death!) - was truly groundbreaking!

Seems the good people at UK's "Soun on Sound" Magazine feel the same - at least there's a feature in this month's edition on the creation of said masterpiece.

Oskar

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

elektro80 wrote:
Paddy Kingsland of the BBC Radiophonic Workshop provided music and sound effects for the series, including the theme music, a reworking of 'The Journey of the Sorcerer' by The Eagles. So.. I guess you appreciate the work of Paddy Kingsland too.
Very Happy

Plus, Kingsland did the sound for and produced the BBCs Radiodrama adaptation of "The Lord Of The Rings." Amazing stuff that leaves Pewter Jackson standing.

seraph
Editor
Editor

Audio files: 33
G2 patch files: 2

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Oskar wrote:
Pewter Jackson

Main Entry: pew·ter
Pronunciation: 'pyü-t&r
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English, from Middle French peutre, from (assumed) Vulgar Latin peltrum
1 : any of various alloys having tin as chief component; especially : a dull alloy with lead formerly used for domestic utensils
2 : utensils of pewter
3 : a bluish gray
Shocked
Italian translation: Peltro Jackson Wink

Quote:
Don't die with your music still in you - Wayne Dyer
Oskar

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

seraph wrote:
Oskar wrote:
Pewter Jackson

Main Entry: pew·ter
Pronunciation: 'pyü-t&r
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English, from Middle French peutre, from (assumed) Vulgar Latin peltrum
1 : any of various alloys having tin as chief component; especially : a dull alloy with lead formerly used for domestic utensils
2 : utensils of pewter
3 : a bluish gray
Shocked

I stand by my typos, especially when they turn out that good! Cool

Ponk

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

seraph wrote:

Finnish translation: Tina Jackson Shocked
seraph
Editor
Editor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ponk wrote:
seraph wrote:

so, if Tina Turner were Finnish her name, translated in English, would be: Pewter Turner shakng2 shaking surprise

Quote:
Oskar

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

seraph wrote:
Ponk wrote:
seraph wrote:

so, if Tina Turner were Finnish her name, translated in English, would be: Pewter Turner shakng2 shaking surprise

In other Scandinavian countries, there used to be Finnish jokes, which are not like Polish jokes; The Finns are not portrayed as stupid or unclean, but rather they're described as extremely laconic. An example:

Two Finnish friends, Pekka and Toivonen, are in Berlin in April 1945, and being good Finns they drink. A lot. Really a lot. After a couple of days drinking they fall asleep in their clothes, and while they sleep, their hotel is bombed, taking the wall of their hotel room out, exposing a view of a horribly devastated city. Pekka wakes up, looks at the wreckage, shakes Toivonen awake and says; "Let's run for it, we'll never be able to pay for that kind of damage!"

vostek

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Guys that have a lasting impression on me:

Mr. Richard d. James

Funckarma/Quench/Shadow huntaz and other projects that they have their hands in(i think part of Mr. Projectile too?)

Autechre

Bola

Telefon Tel aviv

Tipper

shoot, i already went over my limit. maybe next time it should be 'top 20 favorites'
seraph
Editor
Editor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.
Quote:
Eric Mouquet and Michel Sanchez of Deep Forest are sound reporters. A voiceless musical duo, they draw on voices from every corner of the world. Under their patronage, infinitely distant utterances have become familiar to us. Hymns of joy and cries of anger, prayers and aubades, songs of hope and despair have all been brought to shake our certainties, seize our senses and stir our emotions.From Africa or Eastern Europe, from pygmies to nomads,the human visions brought to us by Deep Forest have helped greatly in narrowing the musical gap between the hemispheres.

arrow http://www.sonymusic.fr/deepforest/

Quote:
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 11
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mosc wrote:
elektro80 wrote:
Paddy Kingsland of the BBC Radiophonic Workshop provided music and sound effects for the series, including the theme music,

Opps. :oops:

I thought it was Delia Derbyshire. Well, Paddy did a great job... :?

Yep that's right :)

I love top 5 list's (and I love the Radiophonic workshop too!!!!!!)

mosc, this is a fun and very fitting mp3 (in tribute to John Peel from Delia.org);

http://www.delia-derbyshire.org/sound/johnpeel.mp3

John Baker was also a very interesting RPW composer

Okay, i'd like to throw in Tod Docstader into the arena. I can recommend 'Luna Park' on Starkland records.

- All analogue tape. no synthesisers in sight :D

IST NICHT FÜR GEWERKEN BEI DUMMKOPFEN. DER RUBBERNECKEN SIGHTSEEREN KEEPEN DAS COTTONPICKEN HÄNDER IN DAS POCKETS MUSS.
ZO RELAXEN UND WATSCHEN DER BLINKENLICHTEN.
DrJustice

Audio files: 4

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Skinny Puppy.

Right. That's that done then.

DJ
--
astroid power-up!

G2 patch files: 15

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i just gotta say:

james mccartney: maybe not a famous electronic musician, but his Supercollider is a genuine revolution. it's free and infinitely powerful.

Page 3 of 5 [116 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Reviews, Editorials and Commentary » Commentary and Editorials
Jump to: