electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » MusicFromOuterSpace.com designs by Ray Wilson
So what else do you do?
Page 2 of 2 [35 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2
Uncle Krunkus

Audio files: 52
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Here's the background on Uncle Krunkus.
39yo, daugther of 14mths, partner Felicity and I recently moved from Sydney (where I have lived my whole life) up here to the country. I'm doing an IT course at the moment and have no job but hope to find something which won't drive me mad.
I'm a electronics technician by trade, but I've also worked as a model maker, maitenance man, and as a residential support for people with mental illnesses.
I had surgery 3yrs ago on my back, and my advice is,... stop lifting things which are heavy!!!! Now!!!!
I got my first SH101 when I was 16, I wish I still had all the musical gear I've owned over the years. Most of it went up in a smoky haze during the 80's.
I've played bass guitar in a few bands and have finished 1 CD, which is okay but I'm working on my own solo album now which should be a lot less mainstream.
I like both kinds of music, country & western.
No, seriously, Kraftwerk, Numan, Fox, Residents, Snakefinger, The Cure, some grunge bands, some industrial electro metal, some 12-string rock/pop, Radiohead, etc.
I'm currently putting two Morely Saphire Flanger clones on veroboard into a rack unit with cross over regeneration to create a super stereo flanger to permanently sit across my D50.
Then I think I will have to make a soundlab.
That's me.

Wild Zebra

Audio files: 5

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Nice to have you Unkle-Krunkus. That stereo flanger sounds cool you might have to pass on that info I've got some spare vero at home. You
won't be dissapointed with the soundlab especially with all the new stuff Ray's been doing. I just finished mine about 2 weeks ago and it fun as hell.I took it to a friends last night and paired it with a Arp 2600 and sequencer. It was sweet we did a 15 minute improv. Well keep us posted

take care

v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 11

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

uncle-krunkus wrote:
Here's the background on Uncle Krunkus.
39yo, daugther of 14mths, partner Felicity and I recently moved from Sydney (where I have lived my whole life) up here to the country. I'm doing an IT course at the moment and have no job but hope to find something which won't drive me mad.
I'm a electronics technician by trade, but I've also worked as a model maker, maitenance man, and as a residential support for people with mental illnesses.
I had surgery 3yrs ago on my back, and my advice is,... stop lifting things which are heavy!!!! Now!!!!
I got my first SH101 when I was 16, I wish I still had all the musical gear I've owned over the years. Most of it went up in a smoky haze during the 80's.
I've played bass guitar in a few bands and have finished 1 CD, which is okay but I'm working on my own solo album now which should be a lot less mainstream.
I like both kinds of music, country & western.
No, seriously, Kraftwerk, Numan, Fox, Residents, Snakefinger, The Cure, some grunge bands, some industrial electro metal, some 12-string rock/pop, Radiohead, etc.
I'm currently putting two Morely Saphire Flanger clones on veroboard into a rack unit with cross over regeneration to create a super stereo flanger to permanently sit across my D50.
Then I think I will have to make a soundlab.
That's me.

Okay swap the sh101 for an edp Wasp, knock it down to 38 yrs old, change a couple of the fave bands, still smoking the hazy weed and you basically have me! Are we all the same on this list???
Wild Zebra

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yep
korg 700(K1) still have it

can't smoke it, gotta eat it(onna account of my asthma)

kobresia

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Afro88 wrote:
|
\/ I'm about to build this, still waiting on parts though... see http://www.ucapps.de for more info

And I can tell you that's something to look forward to! I just finished my MbSID a few days ago (and I already have a new project going, that's why I'm here) - single 6581 SID, complete control surface - a variation on Thorsten's design - with a plexiglass window for the SID, lighted with blue led Very Happy - looks great. It's in a classic C64 breadbox case.

Sounds noisy as hell, the filter is heavily distorted if you feed it with more than one osc (that may well be due to the capacitors I'm using, but I kind of like it too) - it can make some powerful sounds, and I've already made some game music covers with it.

I'd post some pictures if I had a digtal camera, will be getting one soon.

Only synth I have built though.

Last edited by kobresia on Thu Jul 14, 2005 11:45 am; edited 1 time in total
dnny

Audio files: 8

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

no instruments. but now i have twin DS7 and soon SL

better eaten
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Wild Zebra wrote:
Yep
korg 700(K1) still have it

can't smoke it, gotta eat it(onna account of my asthma)

weirdly enough I used to suffer badly from bronchitis until I took up smoking tobacco!!

The big drawback with eating dope is that you tend to stay rather wrecked for rather a long time! But worst of all it makes your stools rather stinky LOL

The Korg 700s was the first synth I played with (it was the first one in the town I grew up in- owned by the local music shop bloke) I still have fond memories as he swept the traveller :) A friend lent me an 800DV for a while a couple of years back- 2x 700s's together- quite a lot of fun too :))

The wasp was really cool because a) the keyboard was a touch design and so you could 'attempt' solo's with it (although it wouldn't always trigger) but b) and most importantly, Dave Greenfield from 'The Stranglers' used them so it was easy to play along with the 'Meninblack' lp :D

I've got my case for my soundlab now (It's gorgeous!!! ). I've just got to suss out how to make an aluminium front panel (that fits!) for it. I think I'll have to cut something out of cardboard for the template- but for some dumb reason Hofbauer won't supply me with a template (I think they might think I'll rip it off or something! Paranoia or what??) :((
Wild Zebra

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yeh, and the day after I feel groggy(like right now). The filter, oops I mean "traveller" is awesome onn those 700's. You lost me on
Quote:
but for some dumb reason Hofbauer won't supply me with a template (I think they might think I'll rip it off or something! Paranoia or what??) Sad(

v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Zebra,

Okay. I got a case from Hofbauer- the people who make quite nice looking cases (ala EMS Synthi A). Alan McKerchar's Sound Lab is in a Hofbauer 'TechnoBag'. I didn't want to directly copy him- that would be stupid (imo)- but I didn't really like that case anyway- far too bulky. So I went for another in their range- the 'XtraBag'- which is much more retro looking. But I know why Alan went for the Technobag (well I think I do anyway). It's because the techno is much much easier to place a cut front panel in. Simply making a front panel has just got a lot harder :( But I'm making this little box not necessarily because its a cheap synth- but because I'm more interested in the design of its case and interface- if you see what I mean?

I imagine that you are probably even less clued up now than you were before on this one- I can't explain it in words- It's to do with the handles on the boxes- you would have to look at them to understand what the hell I'm on about!

Anyway, to make a front panel for the technobag is a lot easier than the xtrabag. I asked the manufacturers (hofbauer) for a template (so I could cut a front panel to fit exactly) and they refused to give me one. They didn't give me a reason either- which pissed me off a bit (especially after I forked out a tenner on my 'prototype' case- backward thinking company me thinks). However, they did give me some dimensions- but they are all slightly out- so that's almost useless too :(

There aren't many freeware CAD programs for the Apple Mac either :( If anyone knows of one, please let me know!

Then again, perhaps I should just get out more?!?
Wild Zebra

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Sounds like a pain in the arse. It's too bad they wouldn't give up the
template, thought you might steal their dimension secrets Razz The case is the hardest part (I think). Its gonna be in there forever, you want it to look cool, and practical. I would have like to come up with something
cooler , but I was just excited to have it done. I still plan on making an identical wood case outfitted with an amp, and hinge it to my soundlab so it'll be an enclosed case. Well I'm sure you'll get it all figured out.

take care

Page 2 of 2 [35 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » MusicFromOuterSpace.com designs by Ray Wilson
Jump to: