electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Sequencers
just wondering
Page 1 of 1 [9 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
e-sin

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2003 9:02 pm    Post subject: just wondering Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i'm just kind of curious about what everyone uses as their main sequencer, speciffically software. i personally do a lot of my workin in reason 2.0 (waiting patiently for 2.5) and also fruityloops studio 4...used cubase sx from time to time...i find it's got a good balance between intuitiveness and power.

has anyone tried that new cakewalk product, project 5?

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2003 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Sequencers.. the coolest sequencensers I have ever used must be the old black Roland "Digital" ones with gate and CV out and ins... the Phonosonc analog pot-monster ( pot as in potentiometer hahahaha.. arggh) and the big old Roland MCs like the 8 and the later midi ones.. yes .. and the Waveterm B. I love the Waveterm. The analog sequencer module of the Roland System 700 was cool too.

These days I record using Cubase 5/VST32. Pretty ok. I mainly think of it as a better multitrack reel-to-reel recorder. It is has midi and stuff and I can write music in the score editor. All in all .. Cubase is OK and I am not missing anything I guess. I am getting DP4 for my Powerbook. I need a simple sequencer for midi and this one seems pretty good and it even has digital audio too. Hmm.. reminds me I better get some midi synths soon. I mostly have old shit with no midi.
elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2003 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ahh... object of desire: The Waldorf AFB http://www.waldorf-music.com/afb/. I use analog stepfiltering a lot and even though Cubase has the phatsync plug ( which is not really any good compared to the real stuff) I need something seriously cool and modern and the AFB is looking good. It consists of a sequencer plugin for VST and an external 16 channel analog real time filtering unit. The obvious thing here is that I guess Waldorf will have to make a real standalone version of it so it is possible to use live. They did do the Attack as standalone hardware.. so the I guess the AFB must be the next to be redone the same way. I guess 90 % of the potential customers would prefer to have it available for live use and not restricted to the computer.
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 212
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2003 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I use Sonar on my PC. Sequencer isn't really the right name for it though. More of a recorder.

For midi sequencing, I use the old Techno Toys Seq-303. I also use Softstep, http://algoart.com/web/softstep.htm , very powerful but difficult to use, and Keykit. Keykit is much more than a sequencer, it's really an algorithmic music programming language. I'm planning to write a review of it, but I have many things undone before I get to that. If you aren't familiar with keykit, check out http://nosuch.com/tjt/software.html

I sometimes us the sequencers in the Nord Modular, but they are pretty lame. They only go in one direction.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
e-sin

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2003 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i was doing some things with algorithmic and fractal-based composing a while back and had keykit recommended to me, but i never could get it to do much of anything... :/ it looked really neat too so i was pretty disappointed when i couldn't figure it out.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 212
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2003 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

e-sin wrote:
i was pretty disappointed when i couldn't figure it out.

Two things.

One, Keykit really is a proceedural programing language for music. If you aren't a programmer, then maybe this isn't the greatest tool for you. If you are, then it's a dream.

Two, Tim Thompson, the author of Keykit, has set up a mailing list. No question goes unanswered. I think that support for Keykit is quite fantastic. Be sure to join the list if you think you might give it another try.

Keykit is very advanced and powerful, so the learning curve can be steep. I can understand why you might give up on it, but this is really great software if it strikes a resonant chord with the hacker in you.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
DES

Audio files: 8

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2003 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I have been using Cakewalk products since ver. 3. I'm now at Sonar 2.2. They are pretty good - at least they have been stable on my systems. I had Logic 3.4 for Windows and that was a total nightmare - very unstable. I also use the sequencer in my XP-80 (for play back mostly). I would like to find someting like the Techno Toys sequencer but I guess it is no longer offered by the person who wrote it. I played around with the sequencer in the VAZ 2010 demo - pretty cool but it won't output midi outside the VAZ application - same with Reason (can't wait for the 2.5 upgrade!). I have been suggesting to Rene at RGC audio that he should program a good software midi sequencer that is along the lines of the older hardware sequencers - but with more features... Perhaps I should just break down and get a Doepher...

Dave
e-sin

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2003 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mosc: i do program (though i wouldn't call myself a programmer), but i'm an instant gratification kind of guy, and it wasn't instantly happening with keykit. i've done a minor bit of work in sort of similar programs, namely jMax and PD...both are pretty obnixous to use because they are very sparsely documented. i'm looking at one of those powerbooks for running max/msp, but cycling 74 keeps saying it's coming out for pc soon, so...i'm sort of holding my breath. still want the mac, though, regardless of max.

des: how's your luck with VST adapters in Sonar? mine has been...minimal. no ASIO support was why i quit using it...did they add that in 2.x? i only used v1.01 or so...

DES

Audio files: 8

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2003 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Sonar 2.2 now supports ASIO. I tried the FXpansion adapter and that seemed to work ok though I didn't opt to purchase it at the end of it's trial. I probably will now that Cakewalk has aquired it. I really have only bee using Sonar for sequencing. I use Saw Studio Lite for audio recording..a killer application but pricy. ASIO is really the only way to go if you are going to use any VSTi synths. DXi is ok with the WDM drivers but ASIO "feels" better...
Page 1 of 1 [9 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Sequencers
Jump to: