electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Linux as a music workstation
Enter the prompt (day 2)
Page 1 of 1 [10 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Kassen
Janitor
Janitor

G2 patch files: 3

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 10:26 am    Post subject: Enter the prompt (day 2) Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ok.

I decided it was time to get the Linux computer out of it´s corner and start replacing the internet desktop with it. This sounded like a realy simple plan; set up the network card and we´re off.

Not so. All of the audio stuff works perfectly fine but even after hours of tinkering I couldn´t get the network beyond being able to ping the local server. Aprently installing a "minimal" config wasn´t a good idea since the combination of "minimal" and "configure the network later" means getting it all up is beyond me. All of the tutorials that I can make sense of also asume that I either have the "gnome network config thingies" or am already online, neither of which is the case. Seperately installing the network thingies requires them to get on that pc which means floppy, cd or network and none of those are working. None of the file browsers recomended in the last report are present either.

I´m going to try again with a new, more eleborate install and if that doesn´t work I fear I´m going to have to try BeOS.

mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 212
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Kassen, what version of Linux are you installing? I might be able to help if it is Red Hat. Others here know some of the other distributions.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Kassen
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It´s a version of Debian, though a Agnula version of Redhat exists too that I might try later. I´m currently starting to suspect I may also be dealing with a HD or memory problem because a test install with a old win98 cd also failed (though that may be to blame on trying to use 98 with a modern realy large HD).

To rule out mistakes I just grabed a different build and found this;

Quote:

No warranties, either expressed or implied, are hereby given. All
material is supplied as is, without guarantee. The user assumes all
responsibility for damages resulting from the use of DeMuDi
including, but not limited to, fustration, disgust, system abends,
disk head-crashes, general malfeasance, floods, fires, shark attack,
nerve gas, locust infestation, cyclones, hurricanes, tsunamis, local
electromagnetic disruptions, hydraulic brake system failure,
invasion, hasing collisions, normal wear and tear of friction
surfaces, comic radiation, inadvertent destruction of sensitive
electronic components, windstorms, the Riders of Nazgul, infuriated
chickens, malfunctioning mechanical or electrical sexual devices,
premature activation of the distant early warning system, peasant
uprisings, halitosis, artillery bombardment, explosions, cave-ins,
and-or frogs falling from the sky.

hmmmmmmmmmmm.

:¬)

Luckily all of this is going on with a spare computer.

Kassen
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

A new error! before breakfast, even!

We have a "grub loading error 17" which apears to mean that the drive is recognised but the filesystem on it isn´t. That´s entirely resonable since there is a failed attempt at formatting on that drive. Howver; giving up at that stage isn´t reasonable. I feel that who-ever grub is should attept to remidy this situation instead of merely whining about it.

Currently the win 98 cd is atempting to format the whole mess. So far it apears that the exact placing on the IDE cables and drive jumper settings have a disturbing amount of influence on exactly what errors are generated. I´m not to pleased with that since I feel that setting everything to "auto" in the bios should make the bios take care of it.

oh, well, 34% formated and counting....

mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Kassen wrote:

Quote:

... and-or frogs falling from the sky.

Be careful. Exclamation

If you are having problems with grub, you might want to go back and clean up the disk with FDISK. Create new partisions. If you still have problem with grub after installing Linux, you might suspect your HD or the IDE cables/controller etc.

I have found RedHat to be much easier to install than Debian, but Debian certainly is a good distribution; lots of happy users.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Kassen
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mosc wrote:

If you are having problems with grub, you might want to go back and clean up the disk with FDISK.

Yes, I did that. It took 12 hours for a surface check but it´s done now.

Quote:

Create new partisions. If you still have problem with grub after installing Linux, you might suspect your HD or the IDE cables/controller etc.

Well, the problem is that Grub doesn´t even finish making the partitisons. I´ve seen Grub crash about 50 or so times now on two drives with different cables and on both IDE controlers. Besides; it should just work, it worked for that win98 cd in one go. None of the options, disks used jumpers or cables matter; everything works untill Grub tries to create the filesystem, then it crashes, mostly between 20 and 30% but sometimes it gets up to 75% before crashing.

Quote:

I have found RedHat to be much easier to install than Debian, but Debian certainly is a good distribution; lots of happy users.

Ok, i´ll try Redhat now as a last attempt. is there a version of redhat that you know of that doesn´t use Grub? I don´t think it even gets up to the point where the two (Rhemudi and demudi) are different, you see.

Strangely it used to work before I decided to re-install to add network capabilities.

Kassen
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

w0000000000000t!!!!

posting this from the linux box.

Plugged in my trusty old 1gig HD to rule out HD trouble. This worked on the seconmd atmept. Of cource with just one gig I had to desiable all of the audio stuff from the install which kinda defeats the purpose of Demudi....

The good news is that I may have found the problem. I sup[ected that the semi-random crap[ might have been caused by a faulty memory chip so I removed one. I hope that's it and will now repeat this process with the larger HD.

We may get there yet....

Kassen
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ok, it was the memory stick. Down from 750 to 500 MB but it works.

Posting one of these from the Linux pc was the first "milestone" I planned. Unless something goes terribly wrong the next should be posting a track done only using this pc.

Happy.

mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Way to go. I commend your perseverance. That is an essential quality one needs for all computers, Linux especially.

As for the Grub thing, which I understand isn't your problem. There are at least two of these boot partition managers. The other one is Lilo.

Kassen
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yes, I had encountered Mylo too. Mylo crashed.

Well, you know, Grub keeps crashing so you blame grub while in fact what crashed was "the first program to use a certain memory block"....

Oh, well, it works now. I have nice picture as a desktop, I imported my bookmarks and emial adressbook. All is well. There are still some minor details to iron out; for example it's my opinion that double-clicking on images should open then in a viewer and I'm sure there will be others. I'll need a ICQ client in a few days and perhaps one for hotline too.

Anyway, apart from the fact that diagnosing the one problem I had was kinda hard it's all very nice and I like it. I'm especially impressed with the automatic network configuration thingy. I didn't have to touch any of it and it simply works; I have internet, I get my local network locations like my site's folder.... Me like.

This case is rather boring and needs some extra leds or something. THat's on the list too but there's space on the list now since all of the "no file browser and no cdrom dirve" issues have been solved by a more elaborate interface.

Page 1 of 1 [10 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Linux as a music workstation
Jump to: