electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » How-tos
DAT recorders - Where can i get one?
Page 1 of 2 [33 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: 1, 2 Next
Norm Vogel

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2003 3:42 pm    Post subject: DAT recorders - Where can i get one? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi! I'm looking for an inexpensive DAT recorder that has RCA input/output jacks.

I'd like t use it for recording lp's, CDs, etc. -- that's why i need the RCA jacks (XLR is ng, obviously).

I've looked on ebay, but all they have is "pro" units (XLR) which is ng.

I've called local "audio shops", eg, Ckt City, Best Buy, etc, and they don't even know what i'm TALKING ABOUT Exclamation

Can anyone steer me in the right direction?

Thank you,

Norm

Normusic !

elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2003 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi Norm.
I am not sure they make models like that anymore.
Way back in the early 90s various vendors made DAT recorders for audiophile use. If I remember correctly Denon made some models like that. And Tascam had at least one .. and Tascam also had this portable unit.. which also had RCA input. Go for an audiophile unit.. not for pro or semipro unit.

Another matter is of course the built in A/D converters. The format as such is pretty cool. DAT is OK. But the A/D -D/A converters come in different flavours. You might try to get a pro converter and instead get a DAT recorder which also has optical digital inputs.
Norm Vogel

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2003 5:56 pm    Post subject: ...but WHERE... Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

But WHERE (in the USA) can u find 'em? They were a "hot" item at one time because the cd companies felt that they would cause "bootlegging" to increase.....

.....now, you don't hear about 'em any more.

I'm not sure what you mean by an "A/D -D/A converter"? Is this part of the DAT?

Or, is it a separate unit? If the latter, pls send me info about this.

Thank you,
Norm

btw.....have a new composition coming soon.....gotta mix it down.

Normusic !

elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2003 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

http://perso.club-internet.fr/farzeno/denpor.htm

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.

http://www.djmart.com/tasdapporpro.html

http://www.sonicsense.com/datpage.htm

if you google a bit you will find tens of thousands of pages out there with more info
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2003 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

D/A = digital to analog
A/D= analog to digital

Most of the DAT devices out there have built in interfaces. But all those which have digital connectors can use external interfaces. What I mean is.. older units might have AD DA converters which are not that good really compared to mid range audio interfaces for your computer... like the MOTU ones etc etc.
Anyhow.. I remember the Denon DATs to be pretty good

I have that portable Tascam you saw a pix of in my oprevious post at home now, Nice unit. But the rechargable batteries are not that good. I might hafta get some new ones.
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2003 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You might post a " I WANT A DAT recorder NOW" over at http://www.lustmord.com/deepnet

Many of the badass dark ambient guys do have old dat recorders..

Hey... I sent a mail to a buddy of mine in NYC. He might have some around.. or know of some. But this guy might not check his mail this week..
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2003 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This Sony might be your bag of magic shrooms:

PCM-M1

Compact portable DAT recorder
Coaxial S/PDIF on 7-pin digital input/output
Microphone and line level input/output

$749.00

elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2003 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

OK... line level audio is in 99.9999% of the cases RCA / phono plugs.. suitable for ordinary audiophile use. so if you do not see any mention of RCA connectors.. look for "line level audio"

Do you need more info Norm?

As far as I know audio DAT transports are not made anymore... I might be wrong though..
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2003 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

A lot more sensible info from pretty smart guys can be found at http://www.solorb.com/dat-heads/
egw
Stream Operator

Audio files: 18
G2 patch files: 8

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2003 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Why DAT?
What's wrong with CD, hard disk, or mini-disk?
Cd is cheaper and more universal.
hard disk is more flexible.
mini-disk is more portable.
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2003 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well.. I decided not to ask.

But you are right. Norm could use his sound interface on the PC.

Any new interface like the MOTU 828 would probably make far better recordings than a secondhand audiophile DAT from early 90s.

But.. I still think a decent portable DAT recorder is a cool piece of gear which is nice to have around just in case.
Norm Vogel

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2003 2:16 pm    Post subject: DAT Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I bought one on ebay......has RCA digital inputs!

WHY? I've always been intriqued by them, and, on my PC, it's a PAIN to take a bunch of cds and record the "BEST OF" on 1.

If i had 3 cd's, i'd have to put the first one in, select the songs, then put the SECOND one in and selet songs, and same with the third.

THEN, i have to feed 'em in ALL OVER AGAIN to actually RECORD them!

Now, imagine doing this with a doz cds!

I'd prefer to PLAY the best tracks on my stereo rack, while recording 'em to DAT. Then, take the DAT and burn the cd from THAT.

Plus, it beats the HELL outta a "standard" cassette deck for songs that you might not keep.

I KNOW you can do this with CD-Rs, but it's just a "whimsy" of mine.....
I've always wanted to try one of these out, esp in lieu of the "noterity" that occurred when they first came out.

Norm btw. ....how do u clean the HEADS in one of these? Can i use radio shack vhs head cleaner and a foam swab?

Normusic !

elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2003 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

cleaning?

you get special DAT cleaning cassettes.. and DO check the manual..

some of the DAT devices are a bit touchy

Quote:
If i had 3 cd's, i'd have to put the first one in, select the songs, then put the SECOND one in and selet songs, and same with the third.

THEN, i have to feed 'em in ALL OVER AGAIN to actually RECORD them!

uhhhhh.... why just not rip the chosen tracks to wav or aiff ( 44.1 khz and 16 bit - no degradation.. ) then have the files on disk and burn from those?? Most modern OSes have a filesystem parser that shows the track offsets as true audio files.. then you just drag them off the disk and onto your desktop.. collect the lot... and .. burn?

Anyway.. DAts are cool devices just to have around the house.

Cool
Norm Vogel

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2003 3:44 pm    Post subject: How do i.... Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

..do what you suggest. I'm using ADAPTEC software. U mean put a cd in, go to Explorer, and drag the audio files i want info a folder?

That would need mucho space, and im not even sure that I can do that on my system (WIN 9Cool.

In addition to what i mentioned, the DAT would be a "new toy" for me..... Very Happy

Normusic !

elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2003 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well.. I am a storage freak.. I keep an extra terabyte around .. just in case. Very Happy and I am not kidding.

Dunno bout win 95. The only serious experience I have with the win 9x breed is reinstalling for clients.. after a bug / virusfest ..

But.. I am all for the "new toy approch"! yes.. get the gear and fast.. even more gear.. and then some. gear is kool! Did you get a portable thingie?
Norm Vogel

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2003 5:12 pm    Post subject: "Porable thingie"??? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

My "thingie" goes wherever *I* go! LOL! Wink

Nope...i got a shelf/rack model.....haven't recvd it yet. (That's why i was asking about cleaning the heads). It's a Sony DTC-60ES.

I've looked on ebay and in record shops....not only don't they sell DAT tapes (i bought some off ebay), but i can't find a head cleaner.

I'm getting the impression that DAT is sorta like the "beta" of audio.

I'm really surprised that, with it's superior sound quality, it isn't used in homes.....probably 'cos the tapes won't play in a car stereo.

But, i DO see your point about cd burning....but, i'm from the Old, Old Skool (!) that likes to have a "tape master" of something.

Plus, again, i DO enjoy my "toys'!

(btw...i'm in the process of finishing up my new composition...will let u know when it's completed).

Norm btw.....i'm really getting into VNV Nation and Assemblage 23 lately...

Normusic !

elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2003 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hmm.. I live in a pretty small norwegian city.. and I can get tapes and whatnot for the DAT .. no trouble.. I guess this is because DAT has been very much used for pro audio here and Trondheim is full of big and small studios. But.. mail order? surely you should be able to find some on the net??

Yup.. impressive sound quality.. but still tape.. and the AD/DA converters may vary a lot. But.. still.. DAT is OK. Hmm.. the sound quality shows that 44.1 khz sample rate is not the best invention this side of gunpowder.

yup.. and do tell when you have some more tracks online!
VW Nation? What is that?
Norm Vogel

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2003 8:19 pm    Post subject: Will keep u posted.... Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

...when my latest is finished. I meant to say "V N V Nation".

Norm

Normusic !

elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2003 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

My mistake.. I googled it.. a technoish pop band?
BTW.. you ever heard Crystal Machine and BlakeĀ“s New Jerusalem - by Tim Blake.. from 76 /78 I guess.
Norm Vogel

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2003 8:49 pm    Post subject: Bands Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

VNV Nation sounds a LOT like Apoptygma Berzerk. VERY musical.

Nope, i've never heard of those bands; sorry.

Norm

Normusic !

elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2003 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Tim Blake -crystal machine . from a performance at the parisien theatre "Le Palace" in 1976.

-and from japan -1979

and the music is.. well.. pretty kool...very innovative back then.
DES

Audio files: 8

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2003 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi Norm!

You should be able to get DAT head cleaners at your local pro music shop. I'm not sure where exactly you are - possibly Russo's music (near Trenton) or a Guitar Center, Sam Ash.

If you run into problems finding them there - email me directly and I'll find one for you.

Dave
Norm Vogel

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2003 11:55 am    Post subject: Hi! Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi!, DES! I live in South Bound Brook, which is near New Brunswick. I'm off RT 287.

If i can't find a cleaner, i'll let you know!

YES! Thank you ALL for sending all that info.......i think i understand it pretty well now!

I KNOW that CD-R is better, cheaper, etc, but there's just something about having a "cassette recorder" (which is erasable) that has DIGITAL quality!

Plus, i've never actually seen one, so my curiosity is piqued.

Thank you ALL,
Norm Very Happy

Normusic !

DES

Audio files: 8

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2003 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Oh heck - I used to cruise all over South Boundbrook in my younger years (graduated from Hillsborough). In fact my cover band has played at the Ramada on Canal Rd.

Norm, don't feel like you are buying into out-moded technology. Dats do have some advantages to CD-R - for one you can get tapes that will run 2 hours. You can't do that with a standard CD-R. For example, lets say you want to tape a Stars End or Emusic show...that 2 hour length comes in handy.

BUT - recording to hard disk gives you considerably more time. Still, I have a dat machine and have no intentions of selling it.

Dave
Norm Vogel

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2003 6:57 pm    Post subject: DES......... Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi! U don't want to "cruise it" any MORE.....the cops in this town are PRICKS!

(And, *I* have the Chief of Police living 2 doors away....sigh...)

Where is Oxford, NJ ? Mebbe we should get together sometime!

I just finished my new composition, "Telemetry"....its on

http://www.normusic.com/cerebral.html -- check it out!

Norm

Normusic !

Page 1 of 2 [33 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: 1, 2 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » How-tos
Jump to: