electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » MIDI Controllers and Interfaces
What MIDI patch bay should I go for?
Page 1 of 1 [11 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Nodular

G2 patch files: 7

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 5:23 am    Post subject: What MIDI patch bay should I go for? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

...with at least 7 (but could grow up) midi devices?
I'd like to be able to set up :
Code:
                                       | IN | OUT | THROUGH |
1 Clavia Nord Modular G2X..............| X  |  X  |    X    |
1 Clavia Nord Modular Engine...........| X  |  X  |    X    |
1 Kurzweil K2661.......................| X  |  X  |    X    |
1 M-Audio Trigger Finger...............|    |  X  |         |
1 Doepfer Pocket Control...............| X  |  X  |         |
1 Doepfer Pocket Fader.................| X  |  X  |         |
1 Edirol FA-101 (PC Audio Device)......| X  |  X  |         |

Any advice ?
Also on how to ?

Thanks in advance
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 211
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'd try to find a used Emagic Unitor8. http://www.fullcompass.com/Products/pages/SKU--11149/

The MK2 version supports USB. The earlier one uses a serial port. I have one. They are superb.

Another choice is the Midisport 8 http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/MIDISPORT8x8s-main.html

Both have their own software, but you don't need to use it (except for the drivers, of course). For a great general purpose MIDI routing tool that is free, get MIDI-OX http://www.midiox.com/ MIDIOX is superb.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
deknow

G2 patch files: 15

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

if you use a modern windows os, stay away from the printer port motu mtp's. the driver wreaks havoc (my laptop won't sleep or hibernate if it is loaded), and it has taken me hours at times to load it succesfully after unloading it Sad i keep a win95 machine around specifically because i have one of these. i have no experience with the newer ones, or running these with a modern mac (it worked fine with my 8100).

deknow
deknow

G2 patch files: 15

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

...oh, and one thing that has always suprised me about these things. i assumed that these things should allow you to remap midi cc messages (ie, remap breathcontroll, cc2 on an input to volume cc7 on an output), but at least with the motu (and i belive the maudio...i don't know about others), you need to have it connected to a computer to do this (and run midiox or something).

deknow
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 211
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

No problems like this with the Unitor8 product, at least using the serial port. I've never tried to use it without a computer connected though. I find MIDIOX much better than the software that came with it which I never use.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
jksuperstar

Audio files: 1
G2 patch files: 18

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Like Howard, I have an Emagic, but it's the AMT8 (Unitor without the SMPTE and footpedal inputs). It is very stable. Has both USB and RS-232 connections, and the driver will support up to 16 of these things on 1 computer, so you have room to grow. Also, there is a 4 channel version as well (AMT4), so if you expand beyond 8 channels, you don't need to buy another full 8-chan box. It also has some Logic enhancements, that time-align multiple ports when playing MIDI, much like sample accurate ASIO drivers do for Audio (ie- all MIDI data would get pre-queued IN the external box, then wait for the next MIDI clock to be sent, so you don't get delays between ports). Good for lots of MIDI data on many ports. However, I still don't know if this is specific to Logic, or if it works with other sequencers also.

These go for ~$150 on sale at Musician's Friend right now. (Click through electro-music's front page to get there, so this site get's some support!!!)

It also operates stand-alone (without PC or MAC) and can still route in this fashion.
Nodular

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks for your advices.
I forgot to say I'm using a Mac, so I guess I won't be able to run MIDIOX...
I hope that the bundled software will allow me to view midi I/O messages because it's fundamental.
These Emagic products seem ideal for a Mac/Logic environment and I think I'll follow your advices.

Quote:
These go for ~$150 on sale at Musician's Friend right now. (Click through electro-music's front page to get there, so this site get's some support!!!)

em... I'm not finding them... Embarassed

thanks
seraph
Editor
Editor

Audio files: 33
G2 patch files: 2

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Nodular wrote:

go to:
http://electro-music.com/
bottom right side
Very Happy

Quote:
Don't die with your music still in you - Wayne Dyer
jksuperstar

Audio files: 1
G2 patch files: 18

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It comes with a specific version of Sound Diver, which only let's you edit the internals of the AMT/Unitor, not other devices. But SoundDiver also has a MIDI monitor counsel built in, so yeah, you've got it.

You'll have to find some other software to route MIDI in the MAC wqhen working outside of Logic, or other (maybe mac has this built in, no idea..)
elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

There are many tools out there..
hmm..

MidiPipe ??

http://homepage.mac.com/nicowald/SubtleSoft/

Quote:
Product Description:
MidiPipe is freeware and comes with no warranties. It has been well tested and has shown no major problems, but is not finished. It can be useful in a music studio or on stage.
Midi In - connects a MIDI input to the pipe
Midi Out - connects a MIDI output to the pipe
AList - outputs messages to the screen
Message Converter - converts messages from one type to an other
Delay - delays the time for when the message is scheduled
Transpose - transposes note to multiple keys, set velocity, delay and channel for each
Message Filter - filters by messages
Channel Filter - filters by channel
Channel Router - routes channels
Keyboard Split - moves note on/off messages above/below a split point to a different channel
Randomizer - randomly changes any parameter value(s) of any channel message(s)
Keyboard - play a on screen keyboard with your mouse or keys; will display arriving messages too
MicroTuner - apply different scales
Set - set any parameter value(s) of any channel message(s) to any value
Duration - add a delay between Note On and Note Off messages
Control Split - inverse, limit, scale, fade in/out, route and map MIDI controllers
Control Slider - simple slider for control message input
AppleScript Trigger - use the power of AppleScript to implement everything you want
(N)RPN Mapper - map (N)RPNs
Velocity Modifier - scale, shift, and clip the velocity of Note On and Note Off messages
SMF Player - plays up to 128 MIDI Files; handles Song Select, Start/Stop/Continue messages
Key Mapper - map keys
DLS Synth - user interface for Apple's DLS Synth

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
Nodular

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks thanks thanks
Midipipe seems really good.
seraph wrote:
Nodular wrote:

go to:
http://electro-music.com/
bottom right side
Very Happy

sorry, I meant I went there but I can't find AMT8 MT4 or UINTOR. It seems they don't sell any Emagic product either. Or I'm missing the right place to search.
Page 1 of 1 [11 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » MIDI Controllers and Interfaces
Jump to: