electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Articles  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links  |  Store
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » G2 Performances - Completed
2am - Full Uplifting Trance Club track
Page 1 of 1 [16 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
sheridan

Audio files: 27
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 3:39 pm    Post subject: 2am - Full Uplifting Trance Club track Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

What we have here is an uplifting trance track. I haven't heard any here so far (not to say that there aren't any, but I haven't found any yet), so I thought I would make one to post. It plays the same way each time for about 6 minutes and then (unfortunately) loops on variation 1 continuously at the end. I would have preferred to loop the entire track, but I haven't even got enough DSP left for one ClkDiv module even!!!

What a nightmare I had making this!!! (I'm used to the luxury of having a complete studio to work from). As usual, I've got just about every last drop out of my unexpanded G2... I don't think I'll be spending much more time trying to do more tracks until I get the expansion board (whenever that may be).

There were some horrible delays caused when using the MIDI modules, but I seem to have sorted most of them out. Basically, the track is run from slot D, which changes the variations in the other slots which have different patterns in. If you turn the ClkGen1 module off in slot D, then you can manually change the variations in the other slots, which is quite fun. The Pad, Snares and Whoosh sounds are in slot D FX which means that they can't be triggered in the same way - the pad can be turned on using the SwOnOffT1 switch module and the snare roll can be turned on with the Snare button on the Mix module.

In case anyone is interested, I have posted better versions of the drums in, funnily enough..., the 'drum' section. Finally, I must just apologise for the horrible sounding cymbal - no DSP left, but it sounded too empty without it! Anyway, I hope you like it. Very Happy

I've also attached a full version on mp3 recorded straight from the G2 with no external extras, for those of you without your G2s at hand.

2am - Sheridan.prf2
 Description:
2am - Full Uplifting Trance track - 5:55 mins

Download
 Filename:  2am - Sheridan.prf2
 Filesize:  26.01 KB
 Downloaded:  1416 Time(s)

2am - Sheridan.mp3
 Description:
2am - Sheridan : Full mix mp3 - Uplifting Trance track.

Download
 Filename:  2am - Sheridan.mp3
 Filesize:  4.06 MB
 Downloaded:  918 Time(s)

Hear music and Nord Modular G2 patches and find out music production tips at
http://www.nitetimeproductions.co.uk

Last edited by sheridan on Sun Aug 14, 2005 6:42 pm; edited 6 times in total
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 149

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Very very cool, Sheridan. Cool

I like what you did in slot D. It's very straightforward and easy to understand. It's a very powerful way to use the G2 as a composition engine.

Very nice... Very Happy

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
3phase

Audio files: 13
G2 patch files: 141

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The patcher of hell ... first pissing bears..now a complete trance simulation.. Wink

impressive..especially for an unexpandet one...
sheridan

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It 'looks' straight forward, but I don't think it's an ideal way to do it. There seems to be some delay or loss of sync between sending and recieving the MIDI control signals - more than on any of my hardware equipment.

For example, the snare has a saw LFO continuosly raising the level over 8 bars, but when slot D turned it on, you could hear the end of the last (and loudest) snare before the LFO restarted, whereas it should have happened at the same time. And I had to add extra clock signals to ensure that the kick would come in on time - for some strange reason, it occasionally missed the first beat when comming back in after a break!!??!?

The other problem with this set up is that if you want to hear/edit minute 5, you have to play through the first 4 too!! I suppose I could have devised some way of 'fast forwarding', but that should be something Clavia is looking into in my opinion. I know the G2 isn't really meant for producing whole songs... but why not?

Oh well, no point crying over spilt milk! Very Happy Thanks for the kind words - always appreciated.

Last edited by sheridan on Sun Aug 14, 2005 4:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I cannot open the pch2 on the NM-1 of course but the Mp3 extract is very nice. This is trance? I dunno much about this type of music, but if you take away the drum tracks, add some more sequencer patterns and then play the bass lines by hand that would be very close to the synth music i started out with in the mid 70s.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
Blue Hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 237
G2 patch files: 319

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I can't check the patch right now ...

... but the MIDI latency might be caused by using a lot of MDI data between the patches. For me mostly this is caused by somewhat fastish varying signals sent ove MIDI, like LFO signals.

I've found it usefull for patches that send a lot of internal MIDI to use sample&holds before the send module and to control those sample and holds from a slow clock, maybe on a beat or something for your patch.

But then it might be best to wait for the expansion :-)

Jan.
sheridan

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Elektro80 - Trance seems to have many sub-genres - I would say that this was Uplifting Trance. Of course, if I had made it using my studio, the sounds and mix would have been better and the FX more plentiful and I think that that is a big part of trance music. Also, it would have been easier for me to compose the polyphonic notes and come up with a better tune. But overall, I'd say yeah, this is trance... well trance on a G2 anyway.

Jan - No, it wasn't because of loads of MIDI signals being sent/recieved. Problems started when I only had about 5 or 6 single values being sent every 8 bars! Shocked And the way that the first Kick doesn't play properly - no high frequencies... very strange! I was a bit dissappointed, I can tell you head banging monitor , but I managed to cure most of the problems anyway. Incidentally, I had MIDI problems when patching my 'Bad Day for Camping' patch too.

3phase

Audio files: 13
G2 patch files: 141

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

sheridan wrote:
It 'looks' straight forward, but I don't think it's an ideal way to do it. There seems to be some delay or loss of sync between sending and recieving the MIDI control signals - more than on any of my hardware equipment.

For example, the snare has a saw LFO continuosly raising the level over 8 bars, but when slot D turned it on, you could hear the end of the last (and loudest) snare before the LFO restarted, whereas it should have happened at the same time. And I had to add extra clock signals to ensure that the kick would come in on time - for some strange reason, it occasionally missed the first beat when comming back in after a break!!??!?

The other problem with this set up is that if you want to hear/edit minute 5, you have to play through the first 4 too!! I suppose I could have devised some way of 'fast forwarding', but that should be something Clavia is looking into in my opinion. I know the G2 isn't really meant for producing whole songs... but why not?

Oh well, no point crying over spilt milk! Very Happy Thanks for the kind words - always appreciated.

there is some delay between the slots that might cause the snare problem. I think it was around 0,2 ms for interslot audio...so i gues there will be a similar delay for midi.
The midi itself is probably still in development. I guess we will see some improovements, booth in handling and timing.
varice

Audio files: 29
G2 patch files: 53

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

A very good performance! Keep up the good work.
Afro88

Audio files: 12
G2 patch files: 79

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Uplifting? It makes me want to shoot myself! Laughing Sorry, I just can't stand generic trance music - my candy raver days are well and truly over Laughing

But seriously, this is a great performance. Like Mosc I like the way slot D works, and I think it's got good structure and sounds - amazing you got it all into an unexpanded perf! Nice work! thumleft thumleft
sheridan

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Afro88 wrote:
my candy raver days are well and truly over Laughing

Mine should be too at my age, but I'm in denial! Very Happy

As for uplifting... well... it's only a word. Don't get too hung up on it. Very Happy And whatever you do, don't shoot yourself!!! Shocked It's easier to turn it off isn't it? Wink

Afro88

Audio files: 12
G2 patch files: 79

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

sheridan wrote:
As for uplifting... well... it's only a word. Don't get too hung up on it. Very Happy And whatever you do, don't shoot yourself!!! Shocked It's easier to turn it off isn't it? Wink

Haha, yeah I know, that is the correct term for this kind of music - it's all good Very Happy
mother misty

Audio files: 82
G2 patch files: 130

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Not really my cup of tea soundwise
(don't take it personal, i just don't like trance)
but amazing you get all this out of an unexpanded G2!!
ian-s

Audio files: 42
G2 patch files: 625

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

More excellent work, very well put together. Love the snare rolls.
W.T.

Audio files: 1
G2 patch files: 11

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

some nice sequencing Exclamation
spanky

G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thats impressing, really Smile Big Up!
Page 1 of 1 [16 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » G2 Performances - Completed
Jump to: