electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » News... » Gear News
The impOSCar
Page 1 of 1 [13 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
seraph
Editor
Editor

Audio files: 33
G2 patch files: 2

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2003 4:42 am    Post subject: The impOSCar Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.
The impOSCar

GMEDIA Music continue their line of classic synthesiser emulations with the impOSCar. This plug-in instrument is based on the original UK-designed OSCar synthesiser, released in 1984 and which subsequently became a favourite instrument of Ultravox, S-express, Jean Michel Jarre and Underworld. Only 2000 OSCars were ever produced and today it remains a highly sought after instrument due to its unmistakable blitzkrieg sound quality and unique feature-set.

The impOSCar is a component model of this original synth but also contains a raft of new features such as polyphony, improved UserWave editing, enhanced filter modes, synchronised LFO and increased LFO waveforms, delay and chorus effects, and mono, duo and poly arpeggios.

Quote:
Don't die with your music still in you - Wayne Dyer
elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2003 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I am a great of the original OSCAR. It is really a great little instrument. If this is new virtual instrument is anything like the original, and with the obvious improvements, this will be a winner for G-Media. There is one specific detail about these new virtual instruments that I am a bit concerned about. Most of them come with far more polyphony than the originals ever had, and this kind of changes the instrument into something completely different. I know how the old gear worked, so I can just set the parameters correctly, but newbies that have never played these old thingies.. and start out with a turbo poly mode.. they are really isiing the great carachter of the originals. It is kinda the same thing to say.. "hey, we have made a virtual instrument of the saxophone, and now it has 128 nmotes polyphony."

Keyboard players often have a serious illness, called the "polyphonic syndrome".

I guess they will issue virtual polypohonic maraccas soon! Oh, I guess they already have... Shocked

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 212
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2003 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Looks like we are going to get a virtual everything in the not to distant future. Can't wait for the virtual ReVox or Tascam 3340 tape recorders.

I think this is a good thing. These new virtual synths are probably better than the original ones. Maybe people will take the old hardware versions and start using them for circuit bending. Shocked
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2003 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

In some ways, yes.. all the new virtual ones are far better. I guess you remember my comments re the CS 80 and others.

BTW: Just saw that Novell is beta testing a virtual version of 1988.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 212
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2003 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

elektro80 wrote:
Novell is beta testing a virtual version of 1988.

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing ROFL Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2003 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Shocked Very Happy Cool

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
egw
Stream Operator

Audio files: 18
G2 patch files: 8

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2003 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I think the character of these old instruments has as much to do with the physical style as it does with the sound. The real instrument would be a pleasure to own, just because of what it is. The virtual version just gives you a few more sounds to add to the thousands you already have, most of which you never actually use. A real synth is a joyful object.
jeff harrington

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2003 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

electro80 - beginners will always have problems, but the ability for me to play an octave here and there is far more important!!!

Mr. Green

elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2003 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well .... yeah... sure... the octave...! Very Happy

My point is that the real essence of the these old instruments was a mix of their features and bugs. From my point of view these old creatures were instruments in the own right and could be mastered pretty well. The special playing skills that each of these thingies demanded is a set of skills that .. well.. will be lost. Like.. many of the "duophonic" monosynths would play amazingly different. A lot of my music is written for specific old synths and the notation does not make any sense if the matererial is played on.. "the polka workstation from hell" or a softsynth clone.

I am just making a point about the essence of instruments.. I am all for the softsynths.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
themoors

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2003 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hmm, im not sure we really need another virtual analogue vsti, the market is kind of overcrowed as it is, it might apeal to fans of the original model but then why would you want a software version when you have the real thing?
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2003 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I will not argue either way, but personally I would love even more of these. I am hoping someone will issue a softclone of the Octave Instruments CAT2. The originals were pretty OK, but they all had serious issues. If you check out some oild threads here, you will see that even Howard is pretty sceptical about his old Moog Modular.. which he bought way back when it was new. In many ways the softclones are improvements.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
paul e.

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

elektro 80 ---

i installed impOSCar in os 9 a few days ago
OH MY OH MY
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2004 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well, the original was quite fun! Very Happy Any modern and decent softclone woulld of course be just as fun.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
Page 1 of 1 [13 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » News... » Gear News
Jump to: