electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Articles  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links  |  Store
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
Live streaming at radio.electro-music.com

host / artist show at your time
<on air> Faux Pas Quartet and friends Music From Last Thursday
Please visit the chat
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » MusicFromOuterSpace.com designs by Ray Wilson
Another cheap keyboard?
Page 1 of 1 [5 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 11
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 3:39 pm    Post subject: Another cheap keyboard? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm surprised no one has thought of using one of these? That's of course if you can pry them out of the hands of the circuit benders! This casio cost 50p (approx 1 dollar) from a car-boot (garage-sale to all you non initiated from across the great pool). It has one of those membrane switch keyboards- perfect for the job in mind. It even plays that really catchy tune by Wham!- god forbid!

Casio-SA-1.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  51.6 KB
 Viewed:  3319 Time(s)

Casio-SA-1.jpg

Uncle Krunkus

Audio files: 52

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ahhh,
The size of the keys reminds me of the Yamaha CZ01. Anyone remember the CZ01? The fattest sound to key size ratio I ever heard!! Very Happy
They were the days!!
Anyway, yeah, I reckon it could work fine. Probably need to use the matrix encoded style of CV/Gate generator which Ray designed (is there anything Ray can't do?)

v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

uncle-krunkus wrote:
Ahhh,
The size of the keys reminds me of the Yamaha CZ01. Anyone remember the CZ01? The fattest sound to key size ratio I ever heard!! :D
They were the days!!
Anyway, yeah, I reckon it could work fine. Probably need to use the matrix encoded style of CV/Gate generator which Ray designed (is there anything Ray can't do?)

You mean the Casio CZ101? How could we forget it? It's preset organ sound had been used on thousands of early house tracks! These keys are much smaller than the CZ's (btw, ReFX made a CZ virtual instrument for Mac and PC)

http://www.refx.net/pro_PlastiCZ.htm?lang=eng

Is there anything that Ray can't do? Er make porridge? Code in OSX?- seriously folks, if anyone could port Schematic Publisher to OSX, it would make me and many others, happie chappie's !! (It beats having to load virtual PC!!)
Uncle Krunkus

Audio files: 52

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

No, the CZ01 (name might be slightly different Embarassed ) was a small synth. It didn't have presets. I'm sure it was a Yamaha. It had portamento & glissando which was an unusual thing on a mini-synth. It had a FAAATT sound almost all the time. Great for grungy tech basslines.
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

uncle-krunkus wrote:
No, the CZ01 (name might be slightly different :oops: ) was a small synth. It didn't have presets. I'm sure it was a Yamaha. It had portamento & glissando which was an unusual thing on a mini-synth. It had a FAAATT sound almost all the time. Great for grungy tech basslines.

Ohhh you mean the CS01? (with an essssssssS!). Yes it was made by Yamaha. FAT? (whatever that means?) No man it was THIN!! It sounded like SHIT!! :D Like all those budget synths- all you had was one oscillator and a bit of PWM to thicken it up a bit! Even the filter was naff. The resonance was either 'high' or 'low'- this really sucked.

The best thing about the CS01 though was that it had a breath controller- so it was possible to get ring-mod type sounds by humming into this, - and possibly that it was battery operated, so you could impress your friends at school- if only you could afford the initial high and rather expensive asking price.

I think they made a mod on the resonance by the time the mk2 version came along- but don't quote me on that- because by that time I was too busy drooling over the DX7. (the drooling- fortunately- didn't last very long).
Page 1 of 1 [5 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » MusicFromOuterSpace.com designs by Ray Wilson
Jump to: