electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » Artists » Stein Grebstad
Elektro 80: A Scanner Darkly
Page 1 of 1 [20 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 4:13 pm    Post subject: Elektro 80: A Scanner Darkly Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This is a repost from the old XMAS Specials thread.

This one is from my early 80s Philip K. Dick period. I wrote a piece for practically every book and short story by Philip K. Dick. The pieces were seldom direct translations into music, more like comments and explorations of certain themes and ideas.
A friend of mine,Ernst-Wiggo Sandbakk plays drums on this track. A picture of the guy is below here somewhere. He has published many books about drumming and stuff. What he really does is jazz, but he is a really great guy anyway.
Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.

I rewrote the song when I got my first PPG Wave 2.2 and then again later when I traded the two Rhodes suitcases for a Yamaha biggie. The song as it sounds now is pretty much how it looked on paper in 85 after years of tweaking and revisions.

The style of the song is a bit curious I guess. I had just ended my "audiotory stream formation" period when I became interested in the Philip K. Dick material. Apart from the usual classicial and avantgarde influences I guess you can hear traces of contemporary late 70s/early 80s avant pop like Talking Heads, Holger Czukay and Material in here somewhere.
Well, quite possibly some prog influences wil probably be evident too.

The song itself is premidi and the patces are pretty far from what the early big mean polka boards could do.

The song is not properly mixed or mastered. I guess I will get back to that later on, when I have finished my work on the "Utmost Savagery" material.

Credits:
Ernst-Wiggo Sandbakk: Yamaha DTXpress synth drums
Anna I. Grebstad: Some vocals and some synth work.
Stein Grebstad: All the other instruments. Various PPG synths, Mellotron, C-2, guitars, various analog Roland, Korg, Octave and Moog synths.. and some software synths.

---A Scanner Darkly is now offline at 750 downloads.---

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr

Last edited by elektro80 on Fri Mar 24, 2006 6:53 pm; edited 3 times in total
bachus

Audio files: 5

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Good one Stein! The rhythmic diversions that structure the piece into passages work especially well.
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

THX Robert. Well yes, there might be some diversions in there.. Very Happy
Hard to say really, with pieces like this one that I have written, played, rewritten, played.. etc. the whole construct is a bit hard to see from the outside.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 211
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I like this, especially as a way to see how you have evolved musically. There are some parts I especially like in there - very nice sounds - tasteful.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Mohoyoho

Audio files: 8

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Very nice Stein. I really love the drums. Very tight.
www.cdbaby.com/cd/markmahoney
www.cdbaby.com/cd/mmahoneympeck
http://cdbaby.com/cd/mmahoneympeck2
http://www.limitedwave.com/subterraneous/
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Mohoyoho wrote:
Very nice Stein. I really love the drums. Very tight.

Yeah, that guy is extremely good. I did of course manually edit the audio files.. so I have kinda made it even tighter. Too bad I did not get around to record some acoustic kits too. Originally it was written for 2 SDS-1 kits and a huge acoustic kit.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
seraph
Editor
Editor

Audio files: 33
G2 patch files: 2

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Dear Stein
I am a collector of anything Grebstad and so it happens that I have a previous version of this piece. There were drums already and the drummer does not seem, to me, to add much to the value of it. Maybe if he had used real drums it could make a difference Idea

Quote:
Don't die with your music still in you - Wayne Dyer
seraph
Editor
Editor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

seraph wrote:
Dear Stein
I am a collector of anything Grebstad

Quote:

Last edited by seraph on Sun Sep 25, 2005 3:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Shocked

Proof! And I guess you even have the pudding.. Shocked

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
Carsulae

Audio files: 3

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 2:16 pm    Post subject: Wonderful Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Wonderful sounds and rithms in your A Scanner Darkly!!!!
I'm sure to find other very interesting songs in your web page

May i have more information about voices devices used in it song?
Are natural or synth?

Thank

elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I have mostly used synths, but there is some piano, guitar and M400 in there too. Frankly, in order to give a full list of all the parts I will have to check with the notes and score, and the comments to every recorded part.
The M400 parts weren´t quite completed while I had the M400 so I filled those in with the M-Tron later. As for natural vs. synth.. I think synths are pretty OK instruments so I tend to think of those as natural too. There is some C-2 in there too. I dunno if organs are entitled to being called natural instruments though.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 277
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I had missed this when it happened, good it got bumped - I like the track & it might have some prog influences indeed :-)

Organs .. natural ?

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.

Guess those were the first synths.

more ...

elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I won´t deny the prog. And I think you are right about the organ bit too.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I removed the song from the first post in this thread. According to the download counter it was downloaded 750 times.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
bachus

Audio files: 5

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Blue Hell wrote:
Organs .. natural ?

Good heavens yes! There is nothing more eloquently natural than the speech of a well voiced diapason (principal, prinzipal, montre).

Blue Hell wrote:
Guess those were the first synths.

But yes again, beyond their own unique sound of a diapason chorus, pipe organs offer both formant and additive synthesis. Why do you think they were called the "King" of instruments?

Oh, OK maybe it did have something to do with all those phallic pipes. Shocked

Hey Stein! When are you going to release a CD?

seraph
Editor
Editor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

elektro80 wrote:
I removed the song from the first post in this thread. According to the download counter it was downloaded 750 times.

what's this new policy about 750 downloads?

Quote:
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This track has been picked up by this site: http://myspace.com/godtnorsk

Very Happy

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.

Looks fab...

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

A guy called Haakon hacked that one together. Shocked What will my wife say to this. Oh my...

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Haakon - a great name for a hacker.
Page 1 of 1 [20 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Artists » Stein Grebstad
Jump to: